• Register Today It's free!

New Toy

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
New Toy - The Resurrection

So it looks like the deal on the $1000 '01 Sport Trac I purchased Saturday (sight unseen other than a couple of pics) is going through. Barring complications, Triple A should be delivering it this evening. Then I'll see what I bought. I'll post some PhotoBucket "before" pics tomorrow and then get to work. First up is the non-working fuel pump, then a test drive to see what else might be wrong with it.

Things I know:
seller recently received truck as payment for a debt and doesn't want it
truck has a clean title
truck has 184,000 miles
truck is fairly heavily optioned
seller says it's 2WD
seller says the engine will run on starting fluid, but otherwise wont start
seller says engine is smooth and quite while running
seller says trans goes into gear (forward & reverse)
it needs tires
it needs a new windshield
it needs a good cleaning
one side window doesn't open
one side window doesn't close
A LOT about Gen II Explorers/Mountaineers

We'll see. I figure I can't get hurt to bad for a $1,000 and I need a new project. The current plan is to fix it up and flip it, but I've never had a Sport Trac, so I may sell something else and keep it, though I'm not a big fan of the 4.0L SOHC engine or the weak transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would love to see more posts from you in the Sport Trac subforum. Maybe I wouldn't have to go so deep to search out your wisdom.

Hope this works out as a good deal for ya!

I would love to see more posts from you in the Sport Trac subforum. Maybe I wouldn't have to go so deep to search out your wisdom.

Hope this works out as a good deal for ya!

Yeah, the tow truck got here about 2 hours ago. I've done a cursory inspection. and it has the bed cover and the bed extender, so those are pluses, especially if I end up flipping it. I started compiling a list off all the bits and pieces I'll need off eBay. It's not in terrible shape, just neglected and unloved. The first thing I need to sort out is the fuel pump. It will start on it's own and run for about 2 seconds, then it dies. It will run as long as I keep spraying starting fluid in it, so I know it's not getting fuel. I'll start with the fuel filter and I want to drain the tank (which is 1/2 full) as I don't know how long that gas has been sitting in there. It doesn't smell too bad just sniffing the filler pipe, but...

The biggest issues I see so far are electrical. Only the driver's window works as it should and the rear passenger window works from it's switch, but will not go UP from the driver's switch, most likely broken wires in the driver door jam, the driver's rear window is totally screwed up, off it's track and the motor doesn't go UP or DOWN from it's switch or the master switch. The passenger front window is down and will not move from it's switch or the master switch. the electric mirrors will only move in 2 directions (thinking a bad switch). Lots to do, but it will keep me busy. I just wish it wasn't so darn hot out. It's supposed to be around 100 tomorrow and Wednesday. That makes it hard to get anything done mid day.

Thanks for the appreciative words. You should be seeing a lot of posts on the Sport Trac sub-forum starting this week.

Todays Progress:
Replaced the fuel filter. It was one of the huge 3-port ones. One port was completely clogged. Checked for flow from tank (none found), bypassed the inertia switch and swapped the fuel pump relay (still no flow). So it's either the wiring to the pump or the fuel pump (most likely the fuel pump after 184k). I'll probably order a Bosch pump and strainer sock tonight off eBay. I had a heck of a time finding a 3-port fuel filter (# FG1039). Even Ford didn't have one. I finally found one in stock at O'Reillys for $20.

Getting the fuel filter off was a PITA as usual. Followed my own advice to clean and lube the connections until they move in/out a little bit, Then compressed the connection while pushing the disco tool in. They finally came off. It didn't help to have 3 lines to deal with instead of the usual 2.Then I got gasoline in my ear. Man that hurts! It was killing me for like 20 mins.

Took the passenger front door apart to confirm the issue with the window not going up is broken wires (and it's not the motor). I got the window to go up using my battery charger at the motor. That will keep the mud dabbers and the cat out of the truck.

Started the engine on starting fluid. It's quiet (thank God) and seems to run pretty well.

Pulled the RAP module to get the keyless entry door code.

Charging the 2 year old "Neverstart" battery now.

Got all the key locks and bed cover locks to work (WD40).

Checked all the fuses.

Tomorrow I plan to drain & drop the fuel tank and remove the fuel pump. I don't want to get too ahead of myself until I can drive this thing.

Oh, I found out the PO cut 2 inches off the front of the battery box with a saws-all (I assume to change a headlight bulb). I guess that seemed easier to just pulling up the two headlight assembly releases... dumb-ass. Then he threw away the battery hold-down and its bolt.

New Issues Found:
engine oil is filthy
passenger valve cover leaking pretty badly
front rotors deeply grooved
broken right fog light bracket
missing coolant reservoir cover and reservoir WAY overfilled... hmmm.
need a lock retainer for bed cover rear lock (u-shaped spring steel clip thingy)

Pleasant Surprises:
ball joints and tie-rods seem ok (found out later they were totally worn out)

It's cool to see you picked up an ST. I've seen some over your other repairs and bringing cars back from the dead and I'm sure this won't be any different :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to seeing it come along to the final result.

lets see some pics!!

Maybe tomorrow. I was to busy today.

I uploaded these to photobucket, They're not very good, but they give you some idea of what I'm working with. I'll need to take some while the sun is still out.

115_0023_zps2uzo2hmg.jpg

115_0024_zpsz8aw1nz5.jpg

115_0026_zpsdbrdjjse.jpg

I'm sure you already know this…but I had a problem with both mirrors only going left. I disassembled the switch and it was corroded not making contact- cleaned it up and has been working No problem for maybe a yr. now

Might save you a little $ on a new switch. I want that radiator shield btw

Oh, I thought tow hooks were a 4wd thing?

I'm sure you already know this…but I had a problem with both mirrors only going left. I disassembled the switch and it was corroded not making contact- cleaned it up and has been working No problem for maybe a yr. now

I was just going to look for a used switch. I'll try taking it apart and see what I find. I got nothing to loose.

out of all the trucks (rangers, explorers) i have bought to resell the ONLY one i wanted to keep, and had a hard time selling was a 03 trac. it needed both upper and lower ball joints, the interior light wouldnt come on, tires and a motor. the v6 that was in mine (saved it when i did the v8 swap) went into it. it looked like johnrock's trac when he first bought it. i really wanted to twin his, but i also needed the money. if i didnt need the cash, it would be still in my driveway.

Today's Progress:
1. Drained the fuel tank.
2. Dropped the fuel tank and removed the fuel pump assembly. I don't get the purpose of this 3-port fuel system. It looks like the pump and strainer are the same as the 2-port system. The only difference I see is that instead of having the fuel pressure regulator dump excess pressure directly back into the fuel tank, it runs it up to the fuel filter and then back to the tank. Huh? What the heck's the purpose of that except to make the fuel filter more expensive and harder to change? As that part of my old fuel filter was totally clogged, it may have led to the demise of the fuel pump. IDK.
3. Removed the broken fog light bracket. I think I can fix it with JB Weld. I have all the pieces.

I was surprised to see drum brakes on the rear axel, and of course the shoes are about totally worn out. Oh well, they're easy to change and inexpensive and I wont have to deal with those stupid parking brake shoes like on disk brake models.

115_0027_zpsdzpxbdip.jpg

115_0028_zpsi4mbaqyz.jpg

That's all for today. It's too damn hot to do much more today. 97F in my garage.

01 & 02 STs had drum brakes. They switched to discs in 03. And I agree with the fuel line issue. The return line was the one that took me hours and hours to finally get off.

01 & 02 STs had drum brakes. They switched to discs in 03. And I agree with the fuel line issue. The return line was the one that took me hours and hours to finally get off.

I eventually managed to get all 3 lines off using my 5/16's disco tool, once I got the fittings to move in/out a bit, they came off reasonability easily. It wasn't until after the 2 rear ones were off I noticed that they were different sizes. My biggest problem was finding a replacement filter.

Well, I took the mirror switch apart, cleaned the contacts and lifted them up a tweak, thinking that they'd make better contact. Bad idea. First test had both mirrors adjusting simultaneously, no matter where the selector switch was. I've now had the switch apart 7-8 times trying to get the correct mirror to adjust in all four directions with varying results (none of them good). I know which contacts are causing the problem, but can't seem to get them set right. I've given up for today and figure I'll look at it again tomorrow, but It's not going well. I've wasted more in time than the $16.99 it would cost me for a new replacement, but I'm not a quitter. Sometimes it's just best to walk away from something for a while and come back to it later.

Tomorrow, I also plan to JB Weld my broken RH fog light bracket and try to find out what happened to my missing A/C pressure switch wiring and connector. I figure it's got to be there somewhere. My fuel pump and strainer are scheduled to arrive in the next week, or by July 1st, so I'm kinda in a holding pattern until then. I figure I might as well spend my time fixing little stuff that doesn't cost me anything.

I don't know where the tow hooks came from on a 2WD.

Curiosity got the better of me last night, so I went out and checked the A/C switch and wiring on my '97 Sport. It wasn't really any help, as the wiring harness on the '01 is bundled differently. Then I started pulling on various wires in the general area if where the wire should be. I was about to give up when I pulled on a wire and heard a clunk. The PO had taken the wire, with the top of the switch on it, and stuck it in a hole on the frame (sneaky *******). Other than being off the base of the switch the top looked undamaged and was keyed to only go on one way. So I shoved it back in place and it seated. If I'm super lucky, it may work. If it does I'll glue the top back on with weather stripping adhesive, if not I'll have to install a new one. I'll jump the compressor first to make sure the system works otherwise, but that'll have to wait until I get the new fuel pump installed.

My Philosophy:
All the relatively little stuff being broken is why so many vehicles end up being scrapped prematurely. One thing breaks then another and another and pretty soon something more major craps out and the owner thinks it's not worth fixing. Keep up with little stuff as it breaks and if/when something major breaks you may just decide to have it fixed because you really like your vehicle. Besides, it's usually cheaper-to-keep-her.

Today's Progress:
I decided I could no longer stand the filth on the ST today. I honestly think this truck has not been washed since perhaps 2002! It was so gross (and I don't recommend this) I sprayed the whole thing down with Purple Power, working one panel at a time, and then rinsed it off with a wet towel. It cleaned up really well. Other than a bad scratch on the left front fender and a crack in the plastic bed on the left rear wheel well it actually looks pretty good. I finished it off with a Turtle Wax Ice spray waxing. That will have to do until I can get it outside for a proper wash job.

I went back and tried to get the mirror adjust switch to work correctly, and after just one more try it's now working perfectly. So I saved $16.99 on that part. (Thanks Kj).

I repaired and cleaned the overhead front map lights and the rear dome light, and cleaned all the windows. I had to use fine steel wool along with brake parts cleaner on the outside of the windows to get whatever was on them off. Then I could use Invisible Glass on them.

I Gorilla taped the driver's side rear side window up on the inside, so I could remove the wooden shims, screw driver and pieces of folded cardboard that were doing a poor job of keeping it closed. Maybe I'll take that door apart tomorrow and see what's up with that window.

Maybe after dinner I'll JB Weld the broken fog light bracket (in the kitchen where it's air conditioned). Today is even hotter than yesterday in the garage, or at least it feels like it.

I still need to remove the driver's door and find the broken wire(s) that are preventing the passenger windows from working in both directions from the master and/or their switches. I suspect the driver's side rear window motor was unplugged when the glass came off its track, as there are signs that someone has had the interior panel off. I can tell because the PO removed the trim piece from around the door handle and threw it away.

I think I'm gonna remove the running boards. I don't need them and they look like crap. If I flip it, the new owner can have them.

Fun, fun, fun...

115_0029_zpsuokumqiu.jpg

115_0031_zps1jaigoj3.jpg

Replace your drivers door master window switch. Mine went bad and caused several windows not to work. Got mine at auto zone. You might be able to try it and return it. Dave p

Replace your drivers door master window switch. Mine went bad and caused several windows not to work. Got mine at auto zone. You might be able to try it and return it. Dave p

Thanks Dave, but it's much more likely I have at least one broken wire in the driver's door jam bundle. It's a pretty common issue, due to the driver's door being opened and closed so often. This bolstered by the fact that I have a worn hinge. I'll let you know what I find.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While cleaning my ST today, I noticed that it must have been in an accident on the driver's side front. The 2 clues were a fairly new headlight on that side and missing EXPLORER lettering on the driver's door. Whoever fixed it did a great job, as there are no other signs and I've looked closely. Personally, I've only had one good body shop experience in the past 50 years. What can I say, I'm very picky.

Back