• Register Today It's free!

Removing Front Console Lid/Cover

cwall43

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Honesty notice: I have owned this Explorer for about 24 hours. I bought it with a messed up console lid in the front. Does anyone know how to take that lid off and replace it? I already have the new one, just trying to figure out how to remove the other one. Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honesty notice: I have owned this Explorer for about 24 hours. I bought it with a messed up console lid in the front. Does anyone know how to take that lid off and replace it? I already have the new one, just trying to figure out how to remove the other one. Thanks in advance!!

Good vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG37hdvHa6M

Are you referring to the center armrest between the seats?

or, the flat plastic lid for the space between the shifter and the dash?

If you are referring to the lid that covers the media hub, that one is known to stick when the weather is cold. The one on my 2011 Limited opened great in warn weather or once the cabin warmed up but was more difficult to open when the temperature was colder. Again, it would help if we knew exactly which cover you were referring to, the media hub lid or the center console lid which also acts as an armrest.

Peter

Lid

Its the armrest lid itself. It is the leather cover over where you put stuff. Console lid I guess is best explanation.

I checked out Fordparts.com but the diagram isn't that detailed. It almost looks like you have to remove the rear face plate to access the hinges.

Peter

Peter is probably right. I've never taken one off on this gen, but most vehicles have the screws hidden under multiple trim pieces. I had to take apart a Silverado console the other day at work, and I had almost every piece off to get at the screws.

Welcome to the Forum armstrkw.:wavey:
I see it took a while to jump in after you joined. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

I just replaced the cover on my 2011 Limited and its not a bad job. First you have to remove the piece that the latch hook goes into its just held on by two clips and disconnect the electrical connector. under that is another piece that has three small bolts that have to be removed. Now lift up on the front console piece that has the shifter in it . It is held in place by four (two on each side) spring clips, it will only raise a few inches, but you have to unclip the sides of the console before you do this,. The console bucket has four clips on it and lift up on the bucket and it will come free but you will not be able to remove it from the console. I held the front part of the console up and slid the bucket edge under the front console top and had my wife get into the back seat and hold the parts up as I accessed the four torx #15 screws on the lid hinge and removed them and then installed the replacement lid. Everything snapped back into place and reinstalled the three bolts and the top piece that the hook on the lid passes through. Whole job...about a half hour.

I just replaced the cover on my 2011 Limited and its not a bad job. First you have to remove the piece that the latch hook goes into its just held on by two clips and disconnect the electrical connector. under that is another piece that has three small bolts that have to be removed. Now lift up on the front console piece that has the shifter in it . It is held in place by four (two on each side) spring clips, it will only raise a few inches, but you have to unclip the sides of the console before you do this,. The console bucket has four clips on it and lift up on the bucket and it will come free but you will not be able to remove it from the console. I held the front part of the console up and slid the bucket edge under the front console top and had my wife get into the back seat and hold the parts up as I accessed the four torx #15 screws on the lid hinge and removed them and then installed the replacement lid. Everything snapped back into place and reinstalled the three bolts and the top piece that the hook on the lid passes through. Whole job...about a half hour.

Thanks Haverstrawman,

That info helped quite a bit. I ended up replacing my center leather cover. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong kind - got Grey(really white) stitching instead of what is supposed to be Tan. Ordered while not really thinking about it and "grey" seemed to make sense. Anyway, got it on - I figured I'll live with it as the difference isn't drastic and over time as the stitching gets "dirty" it will color into a light tan anyway so whatevs. I did order the proper one as well just to have another cover for when I wear through this one. Seems this leather is a softer than the original - not sure if that is good or bad. My staple gun apparently isn't as strong as whatever they use @ the factory as I had a hell of a time getting the 1/4" staples to go flush. First time doing any sort of interior work - I'm about 90% happy with it. Probably will rent or buy a better gun for the next time.

I need to find out how to remove the center armrest console cover on a 2013 Ford Explorer so I can replace it with a new one. I already have the replacement piece and I can see where the screws go but can't figure out how to get to them on the existing armrest cover. Does anyone know?

Welcome to the forum.

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum where the right folks should see it.

I need to find out how to remove the center armrest console cover on a 2013 Ford Explorer so I can replace it with a new one. I already have the replacement piece and I can see where the screws go but can't figure out how to get to them on the existing armrest cover. Does anyone know?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this existing one I found using the Forum's 'Search' program. Good luck.

Peter

Hi, I am sorry if this has been discussed before. How do you remove and replace the armrest on a 2015 Explorer? I am having a hard time finding any screws.

Oh, I am sorry if I misled you. I am talking about the armrest in the center console.
I've merged your thread with this one. Check out the video in post #2.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back