Fuel tank sensors issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel tank sensors issue?

Yulia

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited 2013
Hi guys,
I have reviewed similar threads related to fuel tank problems but probably not carefully enough to find the answer. Here is my story:
We own Explorer Limited 2013, a week ago the engine light came on! Panic! Local auto mechanics didn't perform an engine diagnostic but assured me there was something wrong with the gas tank sensor and fixed it within a minute. Ok. 1 week later (yesterday) I got more gas and the light came on again today. It drives me crazy since the car is relatively new and all what I want is to drive it non stop, without stops at auto-service on weekly basis (time, money, nerves...).
I guess my next step is calling a dealer, schedule the engine diagnostic and figure out if the warranty covers the car's issues or not. But I don't like our dealer!!! And I don't trust those guys. Although calling them is inevitable would you please share your experience with similar gas tank problem...?
Thank you a lot in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a different local mechanic

Hi guys,
I have reviewed similar threads related to fuel tank problems but probably not carefully enough to find the answer. Here is my story:
We own Explorer Limited 2013, a week ago the engine light came on! Panic! Local auto mechanics didn't perform an engine diagnostic but assured me there was something wrong with the gas tank sensor and fixed it within a minute. Ok. 1 week later (yesterday) I got more gas and the light came on again today. It drives me crazy since the car is relatively new and all what I want is to drive it non stop, without stops at auto-service on weekly basis (time, money, nerves...).
I guess my next step is calling a dealer, schedule the engine diagnostic and figure out if the warranty covers the car's issues or not. But I don't like our dealer!!! And I don't trust those guys. Although calling them is inevitable would you please share your experience with similar gas tank problem...?
Thank you a lot in advance!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Exactly which alarm did you get? Was it the 'Check Engine' alarm. If so, I believe it should have stored an error code. From your post, I'm guessing that the technician did not check for any codes. Also, make sure that the little flap in the gas filler tube is closing properly. I also moved your thread to this 'Discussion' sub forum.

Peter

Thank you MtlexSport! The video explains a lot I am only not sure how to do it by myself :)
Peter, you are right, they didn't search for the codes and it is "Check engine" alarm. I scheduled an appointment with the Ford dealer on Friday. I just feel like doing my research first since I do not trust Jerry's Ford, our local dealer since they tried to sell many unessary services during the routine maintanace.
I will post an update after Friday's diagnostic!

Thank you MtlexSport! The video explains a lot I am only not sure how to do it by myself :)
Peter, you are right, they didn't search for the codes and it is "Check engine" alarm. I scheduled an appointment with the Ford dealer on Friday. I just feel like doing my research first since I do not trust Jerry's Ford, our local dealer since they tried to sell many unessary services during the routine maintanace.
I will post an update after Friday's diagnostic!

Just wanted to share with you my experience. One day after filling up the gas tank and doing some city driving the Check Engine light (CEL)came on. I looked at the OM to get more information and the OBD II monitoring system. Good thing it was not a blinking CEL. After 3 cycles +/- (car on and off) the CEL went away.

Making the story short, after a couple of month of having the CEL on and off and noticing the every time I filled up the engine hestitated, I took the Exp for a diag at the dealer, no appointment.

That same afternoon they called me that it was fixed.

What they changed: Vapor Canister Purge Valve.

It has been a while that I have not seen the CEL.

Waiting for your post on the outcome.

BM:thumbsup::salute:

Although calling them is inevitable would you please share your experience with similar gas tank problem...? Thank you a lot in advance!

Make sure you are not "topping off". When the pump clicks off indicating its full...STOP. Don't keep trying to nurse more into it. It will overflow, and it will trip a CEL.

Make sure you are not "topping off". When the pump clicks off indicating its full...STOP. Don't keep trying to nurse more into it. It will overflow, and it will trip a CEL.

Agree.

BM

I follow the advice in the Owner's Guide which states;
• Allow no more than two automatic click–offs when filling.
After the first click, I usually wait 10 - 15 seconds before starting to fill again and the 2nd click occurs quite quickly. I think the important thing here is to not pull the nozzle back to allow more gas to enter before the 2nd click. Never had an issue with overfill or any warnings.

Peter

As to topping off, I never even thought of stuffing my gas tank with more fuel!!! Funny but I even never understood the sign everywhere "Don't top off" (as a not-native English speaker). Once it clicks I am taking nozzle out immediately.

As to topping off, I never even thought of stuffing my gas tank with more fuel!!! Funny but I even never understood the sign everywhere "Don't top off" (as a not-native English speaker). Once it clicks I am taking nozzle out immediately.
You should wait about 10 seconds before removing the nozzle to let completely drain.

Peter

Just wanted to share with you my experience. One day after filling up the gas tank and doing some city driving the Check Engine light (CEL)came on. I looked at the OM to get more information and the OBD II monitoring system. Good thing it was not a blinking CEL. After 3 cycles +/- (car on and off) the CEL went away.

Making the story short, after a couple of month of having the CEL on and off and noticing the every time I filled up the engine hestitated, I took the Exp for a diag at the dealer, no appointment.

That same afternoon they called me that it was fixed.

What they changed: Vapor Canister Purge Valve.

It has been a while that I have not seen the CEL.

Waiting for your post on the outcome.

BM:thumbsup::salute:

BobbyMarks, BINGO!!!
The verdict was Vapot canister Purge needed to be replaced.

BobbyMarks, BINGO!!!
The verdict was Vapot canister Purge needed to be replaced.

Yulia,

Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your issue. Glad to hear they were able to diag and fix.

It is so nice when they can pinpoint the problem and fix.

Again, Glad to hear and what a coincidence.

BM:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you everyone for your time to answer!!!

My check engine light came on this morning. Went to Advance Auto ... P1450 code. I called the dealer that I purchased my Exp from, I am taking it to the shop this afternoon. Let's see what they tell me ...

My check engine light came on this morning. Went to Advance Auto ... P1450 code. I called the dealer that I purchased my Exp from, I am taking it to the shop this afternoon. Let's see what they tell me ...
Have you checked to see if that little flap in the fuel filler tube is closing tight?

Peter

Hi Peter, No I haven't yet. But I will. Thank you

I had been topping off the gas tank for awhile, like years, and I guess it finally caught up to me. The CEL illuminated and gave me a P1450 and P1000 code. I read the associated threads here on the forum, but no one explains how to remove the hoses. I have purchased a new vapor canister purge valve but, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the hoses from the valve. They have funky looking (probably snap-on) connectors on the ends. Can somebody throw me a bone here? Thanks!
Dan

I had been topping off the gas tank for awhile, like years, and I guess it finally caught up to me. The CEL illuminated and gave me a P1450 and P1000 code. I read the associated threads here on the forum, but no one explains how to remove the hoses. I have purchased a new vapor canister purge valve but, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the hoses from the valve. They have funky looking (probably snap-on) connectors on the ends. Can somebody throw me a bone here? Thanks!
Dan
Is this on your 1998 Explorer? If so, you should post here; Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back