Is my ball joint bad (picture included)? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my ball joint bad (picture included)?

I just ordered moog 80008 ball joints. I'm going to try to press them myself while they're in the car. I'm not sure if my model will require any alignment with an arm exchange so I want to avoid that and try to install with the arm still on the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just tie the loosened knuckle off to the coilover towards the rear of the truck, and you should have clearance.

Some say you can pry the upper arm down with a 2x4 for more clearance. I think it may depend on the tool you get too, I ended up taking the whole arm off. I couldn't get the ball joint tool I'm there. While I had it off I just used the shop press and part of the tool kit. The lowers are easily done on the vehicle. I got mine aligned when I was done. I put in new greasable tie rod ends as well.

I rented the joint remover from Autozone today and knocked out the job.
IMAG0492.jpg

The first one took too long but it was a learning process. At first i had trouble with getting the ball joint stud out of the steering knuckle and then i had trouble with the joint remover tool.

After a little improvisation, things got moving and i was able to get the other one in about 35 minutes (from jacking it up to setting it down and torquing the wheel nuts.

It drives awesome now. Like a newer car. I'm very pleased. I took it for a highway run and there little to no play in the steering wheel now.

Nice work. DIY always has a learning curve, but is well worth the extra effort, IMHO.

Nice work. DIY always has a learning curve, but is well worth the extra effort, IMHO.

I am always looking forward to learning the different skills involved in maintaining a vehicle. Pressing joints has been one of them on my bucket list.

Is it required to do an alignment after we uninstall/reinstall the control arm?

My EX has a annoying little vibration at around 75mph. I plan to do a lot of highway driving so these little vibrations bug.

Is it required to do an alignment after we uninstall/reinstall the control arm?

Yes, that is why I encourage swapping the ball joints with the control arm still on the vehicle.

Yes, that is why I encourage swapping the ball joints with the control arm still on the vehicle.

I could not figure how to, gave up and removed the arm. I used the rental kit from Autozone.

Back