Ford Explorer 2013 3.5V6 Limited suspension woes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2013 3.5V6 Limited suspension woes

RootersPH

Reaction score
City, State
Manila, Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer 3.5 V6
Good day everyone,

This is my first post here, and whilst I have been lurking here for a while just reading up on the opinions of others, I am sad that I have to make my first post about a rather serious issue that manifested itself with an otherwise brilliant vehicle.

As background, I am an expatriate living in the Philippines (Manila), and we do not quite enjoy the same backup service from Ford compared to other parts of the world. Having said that, the dealership team did their best, and I think it is just a matter of them reaching the end of their expertise.

Here is the issue. The car has now done about 30,000 km, and at around 20,000 km developed this rather annoying knock somewhere in the front suspension. It is only audible (with some vibrations transmitted to the floorboard) when doing up to 30km/h on rough, semi-paved roads or roads with a poor asphalt top. The worst is when I'm in a parking lot, where the paving is wobbled. It almost feels as if the front wheels are loose.

The dealership replaced the steering rack some time ago under a TSB, and replaced both front shocks twice, along with the right control arm and the swaybar links. Unfortunately it has resulted in little or no improvement. Wheel alignment has been checked several times and the tires were rotated too. The wheel balancing has been checked and weights added where needed.

I have seen others here with similar issues, albeit it with varying descriptions of the issue. I have now reached the point whereby I will likely have to rely on my own ability to fix this issue, as I am not too keen on selling the vehicle just yet. The vehicle still has about 9 months left under its warranty and we don't have extended warranty coverage available in the Philippines.

As I see it, I am faced with two choices viz. A) ask them to replace more parts, and I may well have to pay for some or all of it or B) investigate the fitment of aftermarket shocks and other critical suspension parts that are more durable than the standard parts.

If I go with A) can I please ask advice on what I should have them replace and if I go with B) can anyone recommend suitable aftermarket suspension parts that I can consider flying out of the USA to the Philippines?

Apologies for the long post.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rudi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they replace the strut bearings? They will make a distinctive knocking sound.

Did they replace the strut bearings? They will make a distinctive knocking sound.

Not as far as I know but I will make a note of this. Thanks for the help.

Not as far as I know but I will make a note of this. Thanks for the help.

I had the distinctive knocking noise, 51,000 miles. They are replacing both front struts and bearings (2nd time for bearings).

Believe it or not stabilizer links sound like the thing is seriously damaged, so make a point of getting them checked. Because of where they mount the noise transmits through the car way louder than anyone would think. They are fairly easy to self diagnose as they will bang like mad going straight, but when you turn, they get tension placed on them so they get quiet. Just wanted to mention those as they tend to get beat up on rough roads.

Believe it or not stabilizer links sound like the thing is seriously damaged, so make a point of getting them checked. Because of where they mount the noise transmits through the car way louder than anyone would think. They are fairly easy to self diagnose as they will bang like mad going straight, but when you turn, they get tension placed on them so they get quiet. Just wanted to mention those as they tend to get beat up on rough roads.

If these are the same as the swaybar links then I just had them replaced, at my own cost about 2 weeks ago. I think they call the stabiliser bar a "swaybar" over here :)

Get under the Explorer and start shaking things. That's how I found my problem.

Mine was the sway bar link end.

Swaybar...Stabilizer bar same thing just to clarify. You say ant, I say aunt; you say vase, I say "Jaws was never my thing and I don't like Star Wars." Credit to Ray Davies for that last bit of humor...

Back