Question on steering recall

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
My EX is new to me, but I know that it had the steering wheel recall performed. In talking to my dealer, they looked at the system and said the computer was updated and they replaced a steering gear. I didn't ask any additional questions, but am curious what that "gear" might be. Anyone familiar with the recall that might know?

Thanks!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recall was to update the programming if there were no CEL codes set. If there were codes set from a failure, the entire steering rack gets replaced (what your steering wheel connects too).

Thanks. I am trying to determine what the steering "gear" would be in this mix. If you look the part up by that name on RockAuto, it is the entire assembly. To me, it would be one gear. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Shumax

Thanks. I am trying to determine what the steering "gear" would be in this mix. If you look the part up by that name on RockAuto, it is the entire assembly. To me, it would be one gear. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Shumax

Just different terminology but the same thing. Don't think of it like gears in a transmission. But the steering rack does turn with the wheel and there is a pivot point between the steering wheel and the front axle. My assumption is that they are calling it a gear because of the pivot point that spins.

But again, just different terminology for the same part.

So, it sounds like the steering rack was replaced then, correct?

So, it sounds like the steering rack was replaced then, correct?
While it sounds like it, if you are not sure, why not ask the dealer? They are then ones that will know.

While it sounds like it, if you are not sure, why not ask the dealer? They are then ones that will know.

Because they are closed until Monday. :)

Because they are closed until Monday. :)

You aren't going to find out anything here. Nobody but the dealer knows what was replaced. You should have asked them when you got the vehicle.

Steering gear is technician/industry speak for the steering rack. Not sure why that was so hard to figure out or even why it's such a burning, gotta know right now issue.

Its the steering rack and pinion. It is electronically assisted and mine has been faulty twice. First replacement was a year ago then second time is this year after only 16k kms from 1st replacement.

Telltale signs include sluggish steering then grinding noise when turning wheel left to right and vice versa. Last to show is thw popping noise when turning left or right during low speed especially when coming in or out of parking.

To replace would cost $2000 there in the US. Here is the Philippines, it will cost me $5000+ so im fighting this issue to claim warranty because same **** occured after 16k kms? I have only 48k kms total to date.

Its the steering rack and pinion. It is electronically assisted and mine has been faulty twice. First replacement was a year ago then second time is this year after only 16k kms from 1st replacement.

Telltale signs include sluggish steering then grinding noise when turning wheel left to right and vice versa. Last to show is thw popping noise when turning left or right during low speed especially when coming in or out of parking.

To replace would cost $2000 there in the US. Here is the Philippines, it will cost me $5000+ so im fighting this issue to claim warranty because same **** occured after 16k kms? I have only 48k kms total to date.
Most genuine Ford parts are warrantied (parts & labour) for 2 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Back