• Register Today It's free!

'02 4x4 EB 4.0L advice

caspian65

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Have an '02 Explorer 4x4 EB with the 4.0L that my wife and I bought new. It ceased to be a daily driver about 2 years ago and is only used as a 3rd vehicle for hauling things and mostly short trips, for Scouting and stuff. It has 218k miles on it and we never had any major issues. On startup, the timing chains are noisy, rear end/bearings are loud, but overall has been a decent vehicle. That was up until a trip last week...

About 3 hours into a 4 hour trip, felt a clunk when letting off the gas at highway speed. Shortly after, the O/D off light started flashing and 'Check Transmission' warning came on. Stopped at a gas station, got back in and continued on the trip. About 15 mins in, same warning lights, then get a message that 'Transmission Overheated'. We stop for lunch, go back out and start it up, go to put into gear and nothing happens in any gear. Rev it up a bit and it lurches and then goes into gears. Decide to go ahead and try to get to the destination, which is about 30 more minutes. Get the same warnings, then the check engine light comes on also. Arrive to the destination and don't do anything with it for about 3 days and then drive it back. It makes the 4 hour trip back, but starts to mis-shift, rev up to 5k before shifting and generally acting up.

So, I know the trans is on the way out, but the question is whether or not it can be rebuilt or needs bits and pieces replaced. The timing chain guides probably need to be done also. I can probably handle most of the repairs myself, but just not sure that it's worth spending the $$ on parts to repair it. Was hoping it would last until my 2 sons are old enough to drive. They are 13/12 yrs old now, so only a couple more years before they are driving. It would be a good vehicle for them since it doesn't matter if they ding it or scratch it up.

What is the absolute cheapest $$ amount to do the chains/guides and rebuild the trans? Don't really want to spend a lot on it at this point. Been paid off for a long time and got really good use out of it, but realize that these vehicles have little value. Although, it's probably worth more to us than resale value at this point, especially if it saves from buying a car or two for my sons in a few years.

Thanks for any input.

Rough estimate you providing all labor $700USD for timing components and $2000USD for transmission.

This is tough. I have debated what I will do when this happens to mine as my situation (except the repairs) is similar. I finally decided to buy something else before my tranny goes out. Not sure on the price to fix everything, but I would guess your trans is shot which is usually a minimum of 2k. I'm no expert here though. And the timing is another issue, I'm not sure the cost and labor but its ugly and hardly worth it on a 218k Explorer.

After lots of searching I found a little over 2k and waiting for a good private party deal can buy a guy a 1999+ half ton truck with similar miles and safety features that will be better at towing/hauling and likely last longer. I am pretty attached to my Explorer but IMO it's not worth salvaging.

Hope all this useless info helps.

Update: A friend offered $1500 for the Explorer so we went ahead and sold it. Really need something a bit bigger like an Expedition, so the time was right to go ahead and let it go. Thanks for the replies.

Back