4.0 ohv performance parts/ build questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv performance parts/ build questions

Swordfish94x

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
Hey guys! So I have been debating whether I wanted to do a slow build on my 96 4.0 ohv or wait til it blows up and drop in a 5.0. Well I want power now and the motor swap just seems way to expensive and difficult for me to do for a while. I've decided I'm going to start with my 80,000 mile motor and just do things a little at a time. So here's what I've come up with so far and I'll put them in the order I plan on doing them. Any input is greatly appreciated as it's hard to find reviews on a couple of the items. Also I'll post the power gains the seller claims.

Air box upgrade, link to how to do here www.ford40.com (10 hp)

K&N 57-2513-1 ~$195 (~6 hp)

Exhaust- I think I'm gonna order a cherry bomb extreme muffler off amazon for 35 bucks and just get some tube to run it from after the cats to in front of the rear tire, cause new cats are expensive... (Unknown HP)

BBK 66mm throttle body ~$230 (6-12 hp)

Hedman 89616 shorty HTC headers ~$575 (~10 hp) (CA doesn't allow long tubes)

Morana v6 Racing stage 2 ported heads ~$850 (Doesn't say power, stage 2 outa 3)

Morana 1.8:1 Roller rocker kit ~$880 (25 hp, 35 tq)

So this is gonna be a project and I'll update as I go, if anyone has done the roller rockers or gotten a new head and worked from Tom Morana how is the stuff? It's hard to find much about people doing these on explorers, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swordfish94x

Personally - My 4.0 OHV is stock, as I'm all in for it's inherent reliability, as well as wanting to see how many miles I can get out of it (currently 184,420 Miles).

Other than this site, everything else you want to know about modding the Cologne 4.0 OHV V-6

Sub-Forum: 4.0 V-6 Tech Forum

Link: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/forum11/?

PS - What transmission are you running?
Knowing that will help with any performance suggestions.
Hope this helps!

Well just ordered a flow master super 10 because the California doesn't like cherry bombs I guess

Also I have the 4R55E with 3.73 gearing, stock tires for now but I wanna throw on the camburg 6.0 performance dual shock kit as well

Alright so I put on the flow master super 10 and the k&n oversized filter, which ended up making the air box mod basically nonexistent. It sounds great but as expected, not much power gain. The only thing is when I'm in 3rd gear punching it it'll get to about 3500 rpm then drops down like 400 rpm then it's like a tiny turbo kicks in. It's almost like the filter is bringing in too much air so the motor bogs, just wondering if anyone has experienced this, and if so were you able to remedy it?

Oh and forgot to mention I did these and was hoping it was due to my fuel pump going out, but I replaced that and overall it runs a lot better but the rpm drop without shifting gears just confuses me

Back