Emissions testing facility can't read OBD code 03 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emissions testing facility can't read OBD code 03 Explorer

opiumskittles

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
A month ago I took my 03 Explorer to get emissions tested. They said they were unable to read the OBD codes and told me where to go get it repaired.

A week after that, I took it to auto zone to see if they could read the code. They read the code perfectly fine.

Today, I took it to one of the repair shops listed, and explained the situation. They also had no problem reading the OBD code and it came back as clean. They signed the paperwork saying I went to the repair shop and I went back to the emissions testing place.

Again, the emissions testing facility failed the car because they couldn't read the OBD codes.

I called the shop up and they were confused. Aside from going around town to different repair shops, I've no idea what to do. The emissions testing place just gave me the same paperwork.

Anyone have any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be their reader, just out of curiosity, did you pull up to the same bay both times? Maybe ask them to plug it into a different bay, OR get a code readout from the repair fac. and have them pass it. Here in WA I didn't even have to get my junk hooked to obd, I just rolled up, she looked at the lights, waved a wand around it and off I went. Where are you from?

Is there not another smog place?

Edit:
Is the smog guy a noob? If there are no codes present, then of course it isn't going to read any.
If the codes were cleared, or battery disconnected, then you need to go 50 miles or so before testing.

Or, is he saying the tester doesn't recognize the OBDII port on your car.

Live in Illinois.

When we were at the testing center they said they didn't care what the mechanic said. So not sure what to do with that.

Battery was not recently disconnected. The last time it was disconnected was when we had to defeat the OEM alarm system that was constantly going off. But that was almost a year ago.

And if the codes were cleared by autozone, we've definitely put 50 miles on it.

As for the tester, he just simply said he "couldn't get a reading." So I assume it's that the OBD tester didn't connect at all.

So two different locations communicated with your computer via the OBD II port. The smog shop can not. First, go to another smog station and see if they can. If so, get it passed by them. Then report the other shop to the state. File a complaint with the BBB and let your experience be known via social media just for good measure.

If the second smog place can not communicate with your truck, seek details from them. What exactly is happening so you can clarify it with the mechanic.

I had the same problem here in Pennsylvania with my 2003 Explorer. The emissions computer would not read the obd if the battery was disconnected or if codes are cleared from the computer. The dealer gave me directions to follow where I had to do many different speed sequences. For example, 0 to 55mph and stop etc. There was a bunch of other sequences of acceleration and stopping. I had to do this procedures on the highway after rush hour for safety reasons. All in all, I must of put on over 130 miles on the explorer and these sequences allowed the obd computer to update and communicate with the emissions machine.

Hope this helps.
bizzs

I

Back