• Register Today It's free!

Hard downshift but on 5R55S

Phantom

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Exp ST / 15 Exp Ltd
Just noticed hard downshift when nearing a stop as I very rarely drive it. I found the TSBs for the 6 speed tranny but didn't see one for the 5 speed, or just missed it. The symptoms are basically the same, a clunk or thud just prior to stopping. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on the vehicle and when was the last time the tranny was serviced?

It had 99,000 when a new transmission was put in just before I bought it. Mileage now is about 145,000 so it is due for service.

Okay, definitely start with a fluid change and then if that doesn't fix it I would start looking at other possibilities. Make sure that the correct fluid is used for the transmission when it gets changed. FYI, at 145k you are due for a new PCV valve if it has not been changed yet as a part of basic maintenance.

Any idea if there were any PCM updates for the 5R55S like there was for the 6R60? PCV and all other normal tune-up/maintenance times have been done. Thanks.

There have been some minor tweaks for the 5 speed, but nothing for a hard downshift like the six speed.

Back