Have Securicode Card but no Outside Keypad on Base | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have Securicode Card but no Outside Keypad on Base

K5OUN

Reaction score
City, State
DFW TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
22 Bronco Badlands
Hello all,

So I picked up a 2015 base model today. I assumed it does not come equipped with the drivers door key less entry keypad. But I have the Securicode card with the keys. If it has one, I surely cant locate it. Does this card simply come with all units from the factory regardless of options, or am I missing something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it comes with all vehicles (that I know of), the PI owners get confused about this and think it should work, but it doesn't...ford doesn't install the wiring for it. There is a keypad built into the driver door window frame. You should be able to see it. If it doesn't light up when you run your finger across it, it isn't enabled.

K5OUN, AB7FH here... Welcome to the forum:chug:

73!

Thanks, guys I figured as much. It looks like Ford offers a wireless keypad for about $100 that just acts like a wireless remote. While the feature might be nice to have, not sure if its worth the money.

Yes it comes with all vehicles (that I know of), the PI owners get confused about this and think it should work, but it doesn't...ford doesn't install the wiring for it. There is a keypad built into the driver door window frame. You should be able to see it. If it doesn't light up when you run your finger across it, it isn't enabled.

Thanks, guys I figured as much. It looks like Ford offers a wireless keypad for about $100 that just acts like a wireless remote. While the feature might be nice to have, not sure if its worth the money.

hmmm ... A driver's door wiring harness for an Explorer with a keyless entry pad costs about the same as the chintzy wireless keypad.
I wonder, if you bought the door wiring harness and installed it, would the keypad in the door work?
Maybe it would need a computer update with Ford IDS to enable it in the BCM to make it work?
Or is the wiring harness under the dash, that the door harness plugs into, missing the necessary wires?

If the keypad exists on the door, part of the system is there. It would need the wiring in the door plus I have no idea if the wiring inside the vehicle to the BCM exists. Chances are it does not. So either you would have to buy the terminal ends and then wire everything thing in or buy complete replacment harnesses and even then I don't know if there is BCM programming that would need to be done....uncharted territory.

If every BCM comes with a securicode, then they should all be able to have the door keypad enabled, provided that the wiring is there.
My guess is that the BCM enables the door remote keypad feature automatically when you enable the keyless remote fob system, and you only need to run the wires to make the door keypad work.
The only part I don't know is - are the keypads part of every door window frame, even if the vehicle comes without keyless entry, or is the door keypad missing as well as the wiring? (I'll find out on my PIU in about a week when the transport company delivers it)

(Edit) Did some research and found 2 part numbers:
2011 - 2015 FORD EXPLORER FRONT DOOR APPLIQUE MOULDING LEFT # BB5Z7820555AA - with Keypad (about $150), # BB5Z7820555BA - without Keypad (about $50)

Interesting that the explorer has the non keypad and keypad door frame. The Taurus only has the keypad door frame regardless whether the vehicle is equipped with the system or not. Must have been cost effective to make two for the explorer and not the taurus due to the differing sales figures for the two.

I see no harm in trying to add it. Keep in mind though that if it doesn't function when everything is done then it will fall back on the feature not being enabled with the programming. Just because it has been coded doesn't mean the feature is turned on. Won't know until someone tries it.

I don't believe there is any difference in the doors for non keyed or keyed options. I have not looked closely, but I think the door trim changes. The keypad looks to be quite thin.

I recently bought a new 2017 Explorer Base model. I wanted the XLT, but I was already over the budget the wife gave me. The base model according to Ford does not have the SecuriCode keypad as even an option. The vehicle itself does not have a keypad. The paperwork that came with the car does have one of those cards with the master pin on it though. Anyone have any ideas why I have the card with the SecuriCode master pin, but I do not have the SecuriCode system?

All vehicles come with a card regardless of if it has a functional keypad or not. The code is hardcoded into the BCM before it is even decided what vehicle it is going in.

I recently bought a new 2017 Explorer Base model. I wanted the XLT, but I was already over the budget the wife gave me. The base model according to Ford does not have the SecuriCode keypad as even an option. The vehicle itself does not have a keypad. The paperwork that came with the car does have one of those cards with the master pin on it though. Anyone have any ideas why I have the card with the SecuriCode master pin, but I do not have the SecuriCode system?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one found with the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

Back