2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please visit NHTSA web page. There is a serious issue with Ford Explorer. A recall was issued and Ford used a software upgrade to "fix" the issue. I had no problems and they did the software upgrade and closed the recall for my explorer. Nine months later the steering gear went out(the real issue) and Ford said it wasn't covered because the recall had been closed with the software upgrade. Now I am expected to pay over $1,500.00 dollars to correct the real problem. My advice is to file a complaint with NHTSA if you have this issue or get rid of your Explorer before you have this issue. Ninety-five percent of the vehicles I have owned were Fords, not so sure on the next purchase.

I just got a recall for the 2013 Ford Fusion about a EPAS recall. Apparently the bolts used would rust and cause issues and the fix is to apply new bolts. I am lucky my Explorer hasn't had any power steering issues despite how hard I mess around with the steering ( knock on wood ) but I wonder if the power steering units are the same given that EPAS systems are very simple designs.

Looks like the issue involves more than just the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 Explorer Failed Steering

Hello all... I am so glad I found this forum. Thought I Was alone in this issue.... just had the same thing as many others here and am stuck right now with no answers. 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with 68k on it... had the 14S06 repaired in August last year after getting warning lights on the dash. They said "no codes" at the time and did the "software fix". Now, a week ago, same warning lights started coming on but no failure. Scheduled service and before I even made it to the service place, my steering went out. Hasn't come back since. Had them pull the codes and they told me point blank the codes are exactly what the recall covers but that it is "closed" on my vehicle so they have to escalate the matter to Ford, but it could take days or weeks. this mean I am stuck paying for a rental vehicle for my wife and kids at MY cost with no remourse from Ford and no answers.... can someone help me!?!?! I am so lost right now, this is our family vehicle and I've barely owned it a year and a half, purchased with 42k in march 2014...... SOMEONE HELP!:usa:

15N01 Steering Extension!!!!!

Just found out from the NHTSA that Ford has issued 15N01 as of 1 JULY 2015 covering this exact issue for these Explorers!!!! See the link below to the NHTSA document. Per the doc...

"This safety recall involves reprogramming the Power Steering Control Model (PSCM), or replacing teh steering gear if certain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present. if the steering gear is not replaced, the owner will be provided extended coverage of the steering gear under program code 15N01... for up to 10 years of service, or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle. "

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM481732/RCMN-14V286-6751.pdf

Finally Ford steps up.. not giving them credit for it.. should not have taken this long...

I hope you guys are right. Mine was being replaced today. Next is to find out if Ford covers or expects me to pay for it. Time will tell. I told them to get the part because I had to have my vehicle in working order regardless of whether or not Ford would do the right thing. I also told the service manager I was going to pursue Ford paying for this, since they had a defect in the steering. If they do, help me get this info out to the people that paid for this after Ford told them their recall was closed with the software "fix".

I can steer with a couple fingers on bends in the road and use my palm on turns with no problem. If you got a power steering fault message, it stores a code. The dealer is full of crap if they said there were no codes. Only way to clear them is disconnect the battery or use a code reader to clear the memory.

Does anyone know the specific code that a power steering failure is supposed to leave behind?

I searched back through the thread but didn't find any info.

I've been having multiple intermittent power steering lockups upon starting the Explorer. The rack is basically locked, but after moving a couple feet it works fine again. Doesn't happen all the time. I'd like to see if there is a code left behind so I don't have to argue with Ford about the repair that is needed.

There most likely isn't a code but my guess is a failure will happen with yours if it is doing that. Unless you get a CEL or some other type of warning on your dash, codes are not usually set.

There most likely isn't a code but my guess is a failure will happen with yours if it is doing that. Unless you get a CEL or some other type of warning on your dash, codes are not usually set.
I'm just wondering because the Ford document specifically mentions a code being thrown by the failure.

I have an OBD-II wireless reader module, but I think the iPhone software I bought specifically limits the readings to basic engine info - unless you buy the upgrade for $9.99, or thereabouts. Looking at the upgrade though, it only provides engine parameters.

I'm guessing it would have to be a Ford service computer that would be needed to read all the body codes.

Edit - In reading the bulletin, it talks about a DTC - diagnostic trouble code - I'm guessing that only shows up on their dealership computer, or if someone has a separate system that will read them. I don't see that possibility with OBDII

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. Seni was kind enough to break from her Twittering to request the details I would need to escalate your concern. If you’ve experienced this and you haven’t already done so, please send a private message with your contact information, VIN, dealer info, and mileage.

Cory

I'm having this problem and none for the dealers have an answer. Premier Ford of Brooklyn kept my car for 3 days without doing anything now the Power steering is locked.

When it comes to electronic problems these dealers are the worst! After 3 Ford vehicles I'm done!

Code problem

I suggest doing a vehicle health report when this issue happens. I don't know but it seems that would certainly save the code.

I'm having this problem and none for the dealers have an answer. Premier Ford of Brooklyn kept my car for 3 days without doing anything now the Power steering is locked.
Very little surprises me any more - but I'll say anyhow that this surprises me.

There is a TSB out on this along with a recent upgrade to a 10 year warranty extension, IIRC. Have they applied the electronics update? If so, it's time to change the steering rack.

First of all, I want to say welcome to the community, KDoggMDF and Explorer427! :D

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns.

Hello all... I am so glad I found this forum. Thought I Was alone in this issue.... just had the same thing as many others here and am stuck right now with no answers. 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with 68k on it...

I hope you guys are right. Mine was being replaced today. Next is to find out if Ford covers or expects me to pay for it. Time will tell...

Does anyone know the specific code that a power steering failure is supposed to leave behind?

I searched back through the thread but didn't find any info...
Hey guys,

Please contact me if your vehicle is experiencing this symptom. Be sure to PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist! :)

Dj El Boogie718,

I replied to your PM. Please check your inbox when you have a chance!

Tricia

Looks good to me now. Steering gear replaced at no charge to me. Explorer is doing fine now. Restored my confidence in Ford. I hope everyone else fairs as well. As for codes, just in case, I used my phone to take a picture of my dash display to prove I had a steering issue. Codes weren't questioned, so I suppose the right ones were there. Good luck everyone.

I just had the power steering rack replaced on my 2011 XLT, with 43,000 miles. The diagnostic code was C200D49 according to the service invoice. The dealer arranged for a four-day rental paid by Ford since that's how long it took them to get the parts. Genesee Valley Ford in Avon, NY gets an excellent rating from me. I note that I still have not received a notice of the recall from Ford.

Looks like I'm experiencing the same issue people have on this thread. Does anyone know if Ford is covering the cost for this issue regardless of warranty status? I hope so since I think I may be out of mine. :(

Looks like I'm experiencing the same issue people have on this thread. Does anyone know if Ford is covering the cost for this issue regardless of warranty status? I hope so since I think I may be out of mine. :(
If you check back through the posts you'll find, out of warranty, out of luck.

Peter

Looks good to me now. Steering gear replaced at no charge to me. Explorer is doing fine now. Restored my confidence in Ford. I hope everyone else fairs as well. As for codes, just in case, I used my phone to take a picture of my dash display to prove I had a steering issue. Codes weren't questioned, so I suppose the right ones were there. Good luck everyone.

I'm glad things are looking up, Explorer427. Let myself or Tricia know if you have any questions.

Hi AgentWorm,

I'm going to look into this further. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred Ford Dealership.

Thanks,

Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Todd,

I sent two messages this morning. They were addressed to Tricia, but I imagine you'll have access to it as well.

Thank you!

I'm glad things are looking up, Explorer427. Let myself or Tricia know if you have any questions.

Hi AgentWorm,

I'm going to look into this further. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred Ford Dealership.

Thanks,

Todd

Back