Keyless entry (Securicode) pad comes off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry (Securicode) pad comes off

jim lock

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 eddie bauer
I have a 3 month old 2014 ford explorer and while drive down the freeway i look out the rear view and the keyless entry panel is swinging in the breeze, banging on the side. I tried to snap it back in and put a crack in it. Eventually had to duct tape it. I did notice those panels do not seem very secure. Anyone else have this issue???????????
Thanks Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you still have the 2007 Eddie Bauer? If not, time to update profile or add the one to your signature.;) I don't recall anyone else have this issue with the Securicode keyless entry pad. A few have had them replaced because they weren't working but not because they actually came loose. That should be covered by your warranty so take it to the dealer.

Peter

Many Flex owners have has this happen. Just take it in and the dealer will order you up a new one. I have had two black appliques on my MKT come loose but not the keypad and not all the way loose, just loose enough to where you could see it pulling away from the door.

No advice, just I'd be freaking out!! It seems well attached to the door. I guess that's until it isn't, lol. Anyway, wow, what a weird thing to happen. Hope you're able to get it fixed quickly.

Securicode

Anyone know where I can get the invisible securicode? Mine just flew off the vehicle while driving down the road :mad:

Did the entire panel fly off the car? Time to visit your friendly local Ford Dealer.

wow, it came off?

Anyone know where I can get the invisible securicode? Mine just flew off the vehicle while driving down the road :mad:

Hi JasonTell7,

Have you checked out the Ford Parts site? Here's a link: http://www.fordparts.com/ If you're having trouble tracking down what you need, you can click on the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page to chat live with our parts folks. You can always go to your local Ford Dealership as well. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

I entered the part number in one of my posts in This Thread. The panel is held on by 2 strips of double sided tape and 2 body panel pins. High temperature can cause the adhesive on the tape to de-bond and the body pins can work loose causing the panel to rattle or fall off.

Our 2016 Explorer has had the keyless entry panel fall off three times in 26 months. Each time it messes with the electrical system. We lose the power lift gate, keyless entry, the guide lines on the screen for backing and the cabin lights stay on long after you park it and start to drive it.

The dealer told me that he has never seen this. As the panel is only attached with double stick tape I found that hard to believe. Now, its back to the dealer for the third time to fix the flopping panel. Anybody else had their keyless entry panel fall off?

Jim Norton
Huntsville, Alabama

A surprising number of things are attached with double sided tape and not much else, but from what I see on a picture from ebay, it's also attached with two clips:

s-l1600.jpg

If it keeps coming off, a few dabs of black window sealant seems like it should do the job of keeping it in place. I saw some YouTube video on a guy putting on the A-pillar trims after changing the front window, and he mentions they fly off all the time, so he dabs a few clicks of sealant on them to make sure they don't.

That panel should not "fall off" if installed properly. If you have taken it to the same dealer 3 times and it has fallen off each time, I would strongly suggest asking for a different tech to do the install or going to a different dealer.

I would suggest not doing anything different from the standard install (no sealant or anything additional). If it breaks and needs to be replaced, it is going to be that much harder for the next guy and you could end up damaging something else using non-standard techniques (regardless of whether everyone else is doing it or not).

A surprising number of things are attached with double sided tape and not much else, but from what I see on a picture from ebay, it's also attached with two clips:

s-l1600.jpg
What looks like clips are actually mounting guides. The red strips of tape are the only method of securing.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, Alabama

What looks like clips are actually mounting guides. The red strips of tape are the only method of securing.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, Alabama
Not sure what you are commenting on, but the part has 2 mounting guides and 2 clips in addition to the tape. The black posts above and below the white clips are the guides. The white clips are actually clips and do aid in securing the part to the door frame.

Looks like it is just held on with double sided tape. Is that correct? Would liquid nails do a better job of keeping it secure?

Which pillar are you referring to?

Peter

On front door, behind window contains keyless

On front door, behind window contains keyless
Our 2017 XLT was purchased new 2/2017. 10/2017 we had this key pad piece replaced because it came loose. Just had it replaced AGAIN last week. The vehicle only has ~26,000 miles on it. I hope this is not a regular occurrence because this piece is only warrantied to 36,000 miles or 3 years. It appears to be only held on with some sort of double sided tape. Not one of Ford's better ideas.

Whimsey

There are 2 locator pins, 2 snap clips, and 2 pieces of double sided tape holding it on. As long as the door surface that the tape adheres to is prepped properly and the 2 snap clips are good, it should hold fine. If the prep isn't done properly, the tape won't stay attached long.

I would not suggest using glue or other adhesives that would make it harder to remove the part in case of service/repair, but, we are all free to do what we want. I have seen a couple where the person drilled through them and used screws to secure them to the door frame - one looked like drywall screws and the other looked like self-tappers - needless to say, they looked, well, real nice...

s-l1600.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would use the 3M brand of tape to redo them. Clean the area first with rubbing alcohol let it sit a few seconds and replace it.

Back