2000 xlt survived the gauntlet. Going above and beyond..again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 xlt survived the gauntlet. Going above and beyond..again

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
2000 xlt, v6 sohc, 5r55e transmission 4:10 diff. Rated towing capacity just over 5,700lbs
What it actually ended up doing:
18832c2e3b1440ba80212d34c1215f2a.jpg

Pulled a camper weighing at least 6,000lbs with two passengers on oversized (265/75/16) tires up 80 miles of the heart of the Adirondack mountains on grades exceeding 10% with no rest. Used no less then 3/4 throttle the entire up hill trip with long stretches of full throttle in as low as 2nd gear.
Transmission only spiked over 200 degrees twice and cooled quickly. I was worried about 3rd gear being that's it's a virtual not actual separate gear but it handled the load fine with extensive use.
I didn't plain of overloading it this much, it just ended up that way. The Truck not only did it but survived without any problems. Once again going above and beyond intended use.
9be0f455a632e5c729f939ebe4f99c5a.jpg

4adffd686ffa4d28c1ca0f716fd09186.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I wouldn't have tried that, but now that I've seen it done....

Thanks for sharing!

A good weight distributing hitch is essential.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD...luckily it was a nice day and no ####### driver pulled any funny business requiring quick action.

Bill

There's a thread over in 4G of a stock 4L pulling a stuck RAM 3500 w/ a 1000gal water tank on the back hundreds of yards up a very steep gravel road in 4LOW.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD...luckily it was a nice day and no ####### driver pulled any funny business requiring quick action.

Bill

Actually the rig was quite stable. I used a proportional brake controller and sway bar in addition to the WD hitch. Didn't have a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Until I saw this I was concerned about pulling a 6x12 Uhaul full of furniture from Michigan to Iowa with my 01 5L Mountaineer.(son needs furniture). I've always had a half ton truck for this kinda thing, but recently got rid of mine so Mama could have the little car she wanted. So my old Mountaineer is now our towing vehicle.

I think I'll be ok!!! Cool pictures, I would have looked twice if I saw that on the road!

Back