• Register Today It's free!

snow plow

stillmarried

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 ExplorerLimited 3.5L
Looked at a "Home Plow" model snow plow by Meyer on realtruck.com; that fits on a front hitch for a Ford Explorer 2015. Uses a remote transmitter to electrically raise and lower the plow. Just moved to South Dakota, and may be moving to a rural region on the edge of town. Not sure if I would need a snow plow to get out to a main road, or clear out the driveway, but I want to have a plan in case. Cost would be about $3000 between the plow and attachments, ouch. Good news is that I got snow tires ready to go based on info I got from Peter, the moderator, but not certain about the snow plow necessity. Anyone have one of these snow plows hooked up yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's a snow plow?

I wouldn't trust something with that much mass pushing a larger mass of snow with such a small mounting point. Too much propensity for that front hitch to twist and bend when snagging on things unseen under the snow.

For what it's worth I saw a 2011 FWD Ex on a dealership lot and it had a plow mount on the front. The lower bumper and grill were 'modified' to accommodate it, but it looked to be professionally done. At the time I asked myself how much snow could an FWD actually move.

If you want to plow snow, at minimum get an F-150. Even better would be an F-250. Don't do it with an Explorer.

Looked at a "Home Plow" model snow plow by Meyer on realtruck.com; that fits on a front hitch for a Ford Explorer 2015. Uses a remote transmitter to electrically raise and lower the plow. Just moved to South Dakota, and may be moving to a rural region on the edge of town. Not sure if I would need a snow plow to get out to a main road, or clear out the driveway, but I want to have a plan in case. Cost would be about $3000 between the plow and attachments, ouch. Good news is that I got snow tires ready to go based on info I got from Peter, the moderator, but not certain about the snow plow necessity. Anyone have one of these snow plows hooked up yet?

I look forward to this guy's post on here saying something a long the lines of "Ford sucks" because he has plowed with a front wheel drive vehicle that was not made for plowing and tore up his front end. I get a kick out of the things people do to their vehicles; they spend loads of money on what they were not set up to do, then gripe about the manufacturers.

Don't do it. You'll be better off searching for an old used pickup with plow attached that you don't have to worry about. Explorers aren't meant to plow snow. Not to mention if your insurance company finds out your plowing snow with it your rates will go up.

Agreed, I can't imagine that an Explorer 2011+ (unibody not body on frame like all the previous gens) would work very well - let alone hold up to the torture of snow plowing.

^^ I looked at your location and "knew" the joke :p just like here

Get an ATV with a plow. There are many other things you will be able to use the ATV for in a rural setting.

I have to agree with the above. No frame and not 4wd (no matter what the badge & paperwork says) makes the new Explorers a weak choice for plowing unless it's very, very light duty.

I'd back any of the recommendations above and add that many of the mid-duty and heavier lawn mowers can run a plow or snowblower. I love my Deere with 47" snowblower!

Again FWIW, I have seen a few previous generation Ex's with a plow on the back. I never looked closely, but I'm guessing they attach to the trailer hitch and use the trailer lighting connector for power. The ones I saw the operator could lift n lower the blade from the driver's seat. At least that way your pulling the snow as opposed to trying to push it which shouldn't (in theory) be any harder on the Ex than pulling a trailer.

If you're seriously considering a plow for your Ex, check out Boss sport duty plows. They're built just the same as their commercial grade plows, only scaled down.

Get an ATV with a plow. There are many other things you will be able to use the ATV for in a rural setting.

From experience, this would be much more funner. :D

If all you have is a simple residential driveway, the most prudent thing to do might be to just hire a service. I got quotes from $35-$45 per push to clear my 100' driveway. Depending on the type of winters you have $3000 could mean years of clear driveways. Let someone else assume the liability if damage occurs while plowing and let someone else put the extra wear and tear on their vehicle.

Back