• Register Today It's free!

Disappointing towing performance

guy48065

Reaction score
City, State
se MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited 4.6
I bought my truck last December and this past holiday was the first time I used it to tow my 18-foot aluminum utility trailer & 2 Rzr's. Total weight of trailer & machines is approximately 4000 pounds. Truck does have the Trailer Package. What a pig it was on the highway! The truck has always run great but felt extremely overloaded even on flat roads. And Michigan is pretty flat. Engine seems to have only 2 speeds--Slow (2500rpm) and Fast (5200rpm). Cruise control set to 70 I could just maintain speed as long as there wasn't *any* uphill tilt or headwind. On slight grades it would lose speed until about 65 then suddenly downshift from Slow to Fast and scream its way back to 70. Yes I had OD turned OFF. With cruise off I could hold speed a little better but several times on slight grades I had the pedal matted. This would be undriveable in the mountains.

My previous tow vehicle was a '05 Durango Hemi and let me tell you its 250HP feels completely different from the 4.6l 250HP.

The drive-by-wire throttle sucked for letting me "help" it a little while in cruise when it started losing speed. Not a fan of having no feel for throttle position.

SO--is that just the way it is or do I take it in and let the dealer try to identify a problem?
A chip or some tuner magic perhaps?

(BTW temp never budged from the center of the gauge)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a tiny, anemic V8 hauling an already heavy SUV, don't expect stellar performance when towing... Is your Ex in top shape as far as tune up, plugs, filters etc? How many miles on the motor?

Heavy SUV? A suburban is 6,000 lbs empty... That's a heavy SUV. Hell my dad's 66 Thunderbird is bigger and weighs MORE than my explorer! (it's got the 390 FE)

Sorry dude, this 4.6L is GUTLESS! We just went to Missouri and back in our Suburban.. Even though it has 5.3L and not the 6.0L it's got some balls compared to the 4.6L!! It was so nice to never have to go over 2,000 rpm for accelerating or passing on the highway :) Also, keep in mind, the transmission is for a V6 and programmed for a V6... So it makes the 4.6L seem even more gutless :/ Also, these have 238 HP and 282 FT-LB torque... Nothing compared to the 320HP and 340 FT-LB toque of the 5.3L or the 350 HP+ that your Hemi made. (Hemi is an awesome engine btw!)

... or the 350 HP+ that your Hemi made. (Hemi is an awesome engine btw!)
Whoa--not mine! A comparo:

2005 Durango Ltd. AWD
4.7l Hemi
235HP, 300 ft-lbs torque
Curb weight 5095 Lbs
Tow cap 8700 Lbs.

2004 Explorer Ltd. AWD
4.6l
239HP, 282 Ft-lbs torque
Curb weight 4463 Lbs
Tow cap 7000 Lbs.

When my daughter wrecked my Durango last December I did my research and thought I was getting an equivalent SUV. I didn't want another Durango because of the rust problems. My Ex has 106,000 on it and I tuned it up with new coils, plugs, cleaned the MAF, TB and EGR valve. It runs perfect.

No load it's a fine but mundane performer. I thought the lackluster "feel" was due to programming, since the power and weight actually favor the Ex. Apparently specs totally lie.

Ohhhh the 4.7L Hemi.. I was thinking the 5.7L. Sorry.

It may be the tuning... I will say taking an EMPTY flat bed/car carrier (around 2,000 lbs empty) I had it floored getting on the highway and it felt as if I were in the Suburban with it full of people, luggage, and the 5,000 lb boat and trailer behind us...

Also, easy with the brakes! These explorers only have brakes for them selves! Not trailers too! Our Suburban has no problem stopping our 5,000 lb boat and trailer combo. The explorer with the empty flatbed felt way worse! I didn't know the rear rotors were non vented until after I first towed the flat bed and found the greatly undersized brakes....

I guess it all depends on your expectations. 1st thing is ST tires (trailer tires) are rated for 65 MPH, so at 70 you are over their limit. I pull a 23 foot full height travel trailer that weighs about a bit under 5K lbs. and has a massive amount of wind resistance. I won't win any races while pulling, but I can go from a stop at a red light to merging on the freeway at 60 MPH relatively quickly so I have no complains. While unloaded, it is plenty quick. Mine is a relatively low trim package XLT though, which likely weighs quite a bit less than a limited or EB would. I also have the 3.73 gears as well.

Sooo 75 mph with tandem axle boat trailer is a no no? :p

Drive a real full size SUV then the explorer and get back to us on it being a good tow car... :p

It's far below my expectations. Also, why doesn't Ford have tow/haul???? People call the 4L60E a slush box... I can't imagine what they would think of this sponge!

Sooo 75 mph with tandem axle boat trailer is a no no? :p

Drive a real full size SUV then the explorer and get back to us on it being a good tow car... :p

It's far below my expectations. Also, why doesn't Ford have tow/haul???? People call the 4L60E a slush box... I can't imagine what they would think of this sponge!

An Explorer is simply NOT a full size SUV so there is no comparison really, its apples to oranges. The Explorer is basically a Ranger, where the Expedition is the full size SUV equivalent to an F150.

Second, ford doesn't use the term "tow/haul" like Chevrolet does, its just O/D off button and does the exact same thing it does on a chevrolet, they just want you to think its something special... The tow/haul on GM products is nothing more than the O/D off switch ;)

I really only use my truck for trips so it's so frustrating to learn I've bought such an anemic SUV.

[MENTION=4735]FordLover[/MENTION]: Few years ago I bought an enclosed aluminum-frame 20 foot trailer to replace my open 18'. Weight was up ~800 pounds and frontal area--even with a V-nose--was much more. Mileage with my Durango was SO bad I sold the trailer after one trip and bought another 18' open...at a big loss. Your expectations towing a 23' TT with an Explorer must be low.

An Explorer is simply NOT a full size SUV so there is no comparison really, its apples to oranges. The Explorer is basically a Ranger, where the Expedition is the full size SUV equivalent to an F150.

Second, ford doesn't use the term "tow/haul" like Chevrolet does, its just O/D off button and does the exact same thing it does on a chevrolet, they just want you to think its something special... The tow/haul on GM products is nothing more than the O/D off switch ;)

Actually you are very wrong. Have you ever driven a GM? Tow?Haul ALLOWS O/D all the time! It just lugs it in O/D more with tow/haul on and then makes a much quicker and firmer downshift to 3rd with TC locked when it can't keep up. GM tow/haul is NOT o/d off. It's much more than that. Also, with electronic suspension it firms the car up in towing as well changing shift patterns. So, no, GM tow/haul is not o/d off.

What ARE we comparing, really? In talking about tow capacity isn't power-to-weight and gear ratios what matters? What difference does cab volume make? Would an Excursion with the same 238HP 4.6 tow better?
(I will concede it should track better. The short wheelbase of the Explorer is a little squirrely and over-active pulling a long trailer)

I wouldn't put anything other than a bike rack or one of those stupid lighted nameplate things in the hitch receiver of one of these vehicles.On second thought,the bike rack and two bicycles would be taxing the limits of this ultra wimpy powertrain...

I really only use my truck for trips so it's so frustrating to learn I've bought such an anemic SUV.

[MENTION=4735]FordLover[/MENTION]: Few years ago I bought an enclosed aluminum-frame 20 foot trailer to replace my open 18'. Weight was up ~800 pounds and frontal area--even with a V-nose--was much more. Mileage with my Durango was SO bad I sold the trailer after one trip and bought another 18' open...at a big loss. Your expectations towing a 23' TT with an Explorer must be low.

[MENTION=273439]guy48065[/MENTION] My expectations come from a direct comparison between a 1995 F-150 5.0 V8 and my 2002 Explorer 4.6 V8. Hands down, no question, my Explorer out towed my F-150. My Explorer has more power (240 vs. 195), more torque (280 vs. 270), more gears in the tranny (5 vs. 4), better rear gears (3.73's vs 3.55's) and weighs the same or less than my ol F-150, along with less frontal area, and 4 wheel independent suspension.

I can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with your particular Explorer. I've owned mine since new, and have been on top of maintenance, so it still runs and drives like new. But I haven't babied it, I've logged about 15K towing miles with our 8' wide, 10+ foot tall brick wall of an RV. And another 5K easily with a car hauler pulling a 3200 lb race car with another 1500 lbs of trailer and gear/spares. I don't keep track of how many miles I've done with my 12 foot utility trailer. No I don't expect it to tow like a Diesel turning 1400 rpm up the side of a mountain. I am not afraid to let the 4.6 V8 see some revs, and I'll do a WOT run in it nearly every day I drive it.

I do hope you find a resolution, and if you are ever in the Houston area, I'd be happy to demonstrate what it's capable of.

What gears does your truck have? All 4 door explorers came with a trailer tow package 2002 and newer, but there was a HD towing package that was optional.

My 02 Ex has the 3.73 gear option, I think 3.55's where standard. Heck, even my 02 F150 with the 5.4 didn't tow well with the stock 3.55 gears but it really woke up when the 4.10's went in!

I have an 02 EB with the 4.6 and have towed a 12 foot heavy tandem rated at 8000 lbs. and loaded with a small Kubota backhoe for years without a hiccup. It is no nascar drive but very acceptable. I do turn off the OD and certainly do not use the cruise control. The Explorer just has the standard gears with a factory tranny cooler. I used the trailer last week without the torsion bars to haul 50 4x10 sheets of drywall and hardly knew it was behind me.

yeah, fords 4.6 is a sohc motor and isnt exactly a power house, especially vs a dodge/jeep 4.7+ motor. my 04 GC culd pull a car trailer loaded with a big @#@ car at 75mph and not even bat an eye. Suggest 5.0 swap!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since this is a new thread I thought I would chime in.
I have an '04 XLS with the 4.0L, 6 cylinder engine. I bought it back in September to pull my pop up camper that has a dry weight of about 1800 lbs.

I live in southern Pennsylvania and I towed my camper to Myrtle Beach this summer with no problems. I'm guessing the camper loaded is around 2k-2.1k pounds.

It seams to me that everyone that has posted on here has the 8 cylinder engine and maybe that's the difference why I don't have any issues. I have done a compete tune-up on it including new plugs, K&N filter, differential oil change so maybe that's the difference.

This discussion is kind of ironic to why I found this thread. I was looking for information as to how much weight I could actually tow as I'm thinking I'd like a bigger camper in the spring. Just an FYI, with overdrive off the engine is generally running at 3k rpms.

Back