• Register Today It's free!

Ford 8.8 Questions SOA

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
okay guys im doing a SAS/ SOA on my 2000 mountaineer have a few questions.
this will be street and offroad driven.
i was going to use a Ford 9" but really leaning towards keeping my 8.8.

1. is a spartan locker pretty good for the 8.8? any recommendations of where to get this from?

2. i want to run 5.13 gear s(35" tires) where do you recommend getting gears from?

3. i do not have a bearing puller/ press. if i just replace the gears/ add locker with out doing the seals/ bearings is that okay? issues??

4. i need to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 to match the dana 44.... is the ebay adapters good enough 1.25" ??

5. i plan to do a rock cover on the diffential cover because i know its a weak point.

6. i plan to weld the tubes.... anything i need to know about that?

7. anything else you guys recommend me doing? or not doing??

Thanks guys!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have much to add but I suggest you get the bearings replaced. Pretty cheap to have a shop do them for you.
If you wheel your truck, bearings don't last long lol might as well do them now

I don't have much to add but I suggest you get the bearings replaced. Pretty cheap to have a shop do them for you.
If you wheel your truck, bearings don't last long lol might as well do them now

can i take a shop my axle shafts and just have them press them on and do the rest my self?

There are bearings on the differential carrier, the pinion bearing and the outer axle bearings. The outers can be done with a rented slide hammer in your garage.

5.13 gears have a very tiny pinion engagement. If you are heavy on the throttle, you risk snapping the pinion. In my opinion, 4.88s are just barely good enough.

There are bearings on the differential carrier, the pinion bearing and the outer axle bearings. The outers can be done with a rented slide hammer in your garage.

5.13 gears have a very tiny pinion engagement. If you are heavy on the throttle, you risk snapping the pinion. In my opinion, 4.88s are just barely good enough.

so you are saying i can do bearing myself??

sooo dont do 5.13??

You can do the outer bearings yourself. They are just inside the axle tubes from the brakes. Or, since I'm assuming you're taking it to a shop, have them do it while it's all apart. At that point, it'll be easy and not worth your hassle of doing it yourself.

I wouldn't do 5.13s. And 5.13 with 35s is a bit overkill anyway. If you drive on the highway, the motor will be spinning pretty fast just to do the speed limit. You'll be a rocket off the line though.

You can do the outer bearings yourself. They are just inside the axle tubes from the brakes. Or, since I'm assuming you're taking it to a shop, have them do it while it's all apart. At that point, it'll be easy and not worth your hassle of doing it yourself.

I wouldn't do 5.13s. And 5.13 with 35s is a bit overkill anyway. If you drive on the highway, the motor will be spinning pretty fast just to do the speed limit. You'll be a rocket off the line though.

ive considered running 37s thats kind of why i want to go with the 5.13s so later i can go for 37s if i find a steal of a deal....

and the plan is to take apart the 8.8 and if i can get it to fit in my chevy cruze take it the guy doing my Dana 44 and have him set it all up.

If you want to run 37's later I would gear for that now. 5.13's are great with 37's 4.88's are great for 35's. I run 5.13's on 37's with the V8 and have no issues. [MENTION=137709]sector9[/MENTION] runs 4.88's and 35's and its perfect. I wouldn't be worried about breaking gears as 2TimingTom has suggested. I sit at 2,350rpm @ 72MPH with the 5.13's and 37's as a reference.

If you want to run 37's later I would gear for that now. 5.13's are great with 37's 4.88's are great for 35's. I run 5.13's on 37's with the V8 and have no issues. [MENTION=137709]sector9[/MENTION] runs 4.88's and 35's and its perfect. I wouldn't be worried about breaking gears as 2TimingTom has suggested. I sit at 2,350rpm @ 72MPH with the 5.13's and 37's as a reference.

ive never really heard of the breaking teh gears issue. i mean i do plan to run this down the highway still. so i think im going to stick with 35's but if a pair of 36s or 37s come up for cheap i will jump on those... ive also considered using humvee tires/ rims

I drive mine on the freeway with no issues on the 5.13s. 5.13s and 37s are essentially the same as 3.73's and factory tire height. 5.13's and 35s is like running 4.10's on a factory tire. Your pick as far as RPM vs. TQ but either will be a good choice you can be happy with.

You do not want Hummvee wheels. They are 16.5 inch rim size, 8 lug on 6.5 circle. It's better to buy aftermarket bead locks.

ive never really heard of the breaking teh gears issue.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Technical...ontent/Parts/RingAndPinions//Size_Matters.inc

Second paragraph.

4.56 and 33s is about stock with 4.10
4.88 and 35s is about stock with 4.10
5.13 and 37s is about stock with 4.10

I have 4.56 and 33s. I will probably go to 35s at some point. That will knock me down to about 3.73 equivalent. I can live with that. I started with 3.55.

Don't go with H1 wheels. Take a look at your available tire selection compared to 16 or 15 inch wheels. And I've seen tires wheeled at 10 psi without beadlocks. I'm guessing you don't actually know if you need them or not- you just see them in catalogs and other people's rigs and think you need them.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Technical...ontent/Parts/RingAndPinions//Size_Matters.inc

Second paragraph.

I have 4.56 and 33s. I will probably go to 35s at some point. That will knock me down to about 3.73 equivalent. I can live with that. I started with 3.55.

Don't go with H1 wheels. Take a look at your available tire selection compared to 16 or 15 inch wheels. And I've seen tires wheeled at 10 psi without beadlocks. I'm guessing you don't actually know if you need them or not- you just see them in catalogs and other people's rigs and think you need them.

ive just talked to other and they mentioned the h1 wheels... theres a place in indiana here you can get them real cheap. but yes i agree 16.5" tires are hard to come by.

well i will probably end up with 4.88 then. cause i dont really want to go with 37s just cause of weight, size, price generally etc.

and bead locks yes airing down you do not generally need them i know that. but i want to do rock crawling and go to the dunes etc. if im building my rig now im going to build it right the first time so beadlocks willl probably be installed. probably do the DIY weld on ones though.

okay guys im doing a SAS/ SOA on my 2000 mountaineer have a few questions.
this will be street and offroad driven.
i was going to use a Ford 9" but really leaning towards keeping my 8.8.

1. is a spartan locker pretty good for the 8.8? any recommendations of where to get this from?
Don't know about Spartan, if you want to install and forget about it, get a Detroit

2. i want to run 5.13 gear s(35" tires) where do you recommend getting gears from?
I have had those gears and tire diameter for about ten years with no issues. I drive it on the highway and its slightly lower than stock, but I was willing to have a better low range.

3. i do not have a bearing puller/ press. if i just replace the gears/ add locker with out doing the seals/ bearings is that okay? issues??
I am running the original outer bearings, inner bearings were changed when I installed the locker. I changed out the outer seals a few years ago when one side started leaking. Did it in the garage without any special tools.

4. i need to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 to match the dana 44.... is the ebay adapters good enough 1.25" ??
I got a set of custom made adaptors that are slightly less than 1" thick because I was worried about the tires contacting the fenders. They are also hub and wheel centric. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/ You will get a better deal on shipping if you call and speak with Lenny. I am not affiliated with them, but the set I got was very well made, and the price was fair

5. i plan to do a rock cover on the diffential cover because i know its a weak point.
I have a older rock ring type on the rear, but I have a "solid" cover on the front. Really like it and they are a great price point. Get it from this guy http://www.davesoffroadsupply.com/Solid-Axle-Industries-Ford-88-Cover_p_1331.html. Actually, I would order every thing I could from him, his customer service is outstanding and he price matches. Again, not affiliated, but I bought a bunch of stuff from him and he stands by what he sells

6. i plan to weld the tubes.... anything i need to know about that?
No clue

7. anything else you guys recommend me doing? or not doing??
Don't get Superlift's SOA kit. I have them and one side collapsed on the Rubicon trail. Get a set of spring perches and weld them on.

Thanks guys!!!

ThANK YOU!!! these are very helpful answers for sure....

any reason you say detroit locker?

Second paragraph.

Stop making assumptions. Some wheel bead rim sizes are more prone to bead slide then others at the same pressure. 16.5 Wheels even at 25 PSI can pop the beads. I had this happen wheeling my 85 Diesel Suburban 3/4 ton diffs, stacked leafs lost both left size 35x12.50x16,5 BFG M/T's. The tires were in good shape before that. Hit a deep valley and lost both left side tires. Took 2 jeep CJ7's anchored to trees to winch me out.

Rock Climbing or Clay/dirt wall climbs will have more tires off the bead at low pressure then easy trail rides. Especially any time where the torque can over-ride the grip between the wheel and the tire.

The only advantage of mil-spec 16.5 Humvee is the bead lock. That run flat ring is a royal pain.

If I ever have another 16.5 truck I will heave either internal pressure bags or a real bead lock. If I ever get another Ranger or Explorer up on 38's again I will have bead locks. The last one the Gumbo mudders were too old to air down.
207207_1020615035656_8151_n.jpg

ive just talked to other and they mentioned the h1 wheels... theres a place in indiana here you can get them real cheap. but yes i agree 16.5" tires are hard to come by.

well i will probably end up with 4.88 then. cause i dont really want to go with 37s just cause of weight, size, price generally etc.

and bead locks yes airing down you do not generally need them i know that. but i want to do rock crawling and go to the dunes etc. if im building my rig now im going to build it right the first time so beadlocks will probably be installed. probably do the DIY weld on ones though.

Humvee tires are 36x12.50x16.5 or 37x12.50x16.5. You can still find some all together. The original issue Humvee's had Goodyear MTR's, the original tread design. Those go threw a mud pit Better then Swampers & boggers. Yet unless you have 8 lug axles your going to have to use bolt on adapters. With that much wheel and tire it will end up killing your 5 lug axles flanges. A dana 44 you can get 8 lug axles for. You can also order them for a ford 9 inch, I do not believe I have seen any for a 8.8 ford.

You can get tires up to 44 inches tall in a 16.5 wheel. Yet you need a 16.5x10 or 16.5x12 for 40x17 ground hogs. Those are axle torturing failure finders.

The difference between the who needs bead lock camp and the you should just do it camp: blowing tires out on the tail far far away from any recovery. Those that never have will say you don't need beadlocks.

Even if you damage a wheel with a beadlock you can limp along.

You don't need adapters to run Hummer wheels. You can recenter them to whatever bolt pattern you want and get better backspacing at the same time. Runflats go in the garbage and you run PVC inserts or the steel cage inserts from kickassoffroad to get double beadlocks. Hummer wheels are heavy and I wouldn't recommend them for any highway driving.

Back to your original question - to weld the tubes on your 8.8 you need to preheat the center section with a torch, stitch weld the tubes alternating sides of the axle tube until it is welded all the way and then post heat with the torch and finally wrap the welds in foil then house insulation or blankets to let it cool slowly.

Back to your original question - to weld the tubes on your 8.8 you need to preheat the center section with a torch, stitch weld the tubes alternating sides of the axle tube until it is welded all the way and then post heat with the torch and finally wrap the welds in foil then house insulation or blankets to let it cool slowly.

When I said "No idea", I really meant this..:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need adapters to run Hummer wheels. You can recenter them to whatever bolt pattern you want and get better backspacing at the same time. Runflats go in the garbage and you run PVC inserts or the steel cage inserts from kickassoffroad to get double beadlocks. Hummer wheels are heavy and I wouldn't recommend them for any highway driving.

yea i want to do highway so probably wont do hummer wheels....
and can you explain PVC inserts/ double beadlocks?

Back