X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
Hello. :)

My '97 (bought new) is nearing its end. :( It is time for a replacement. I'm looking at 4th gen. Is there any particular year that is less troublesome than the other? V6 or V8? What to look for (common issues) when shopping for these?

Thanks! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you plan on adding anything that will draw large amounts of electrical current... off road lights, sound system... ect... avoid 09-10 because they changed the alt to a very anemic Mitsubishi 105amp and there is no solution to this problem... 06-08 still gets a 135amp 3g and other vendors make upgrade alts into the 400amp range... some people do not see this as a problem but I would avoid the 09-10 because rebuilt alts are over $300 and are quite weak

if you plan on adding anything that will draw large amounts of electrical current... off road lights, sound system... ect... avoid 09-10 because they changed the alt to a very anemic Mitsubishi 105amp and there is no solution to this problem... 06-08 still gets a 135amp 3g and other vendors make upgrade alts into the 400amp range... some people do not see this as a problem but I would avoid the 09-10 because rebuilt alts are over $300 and are quite weak

Hi, I have a 09. Do you recommend to change the alt?? Maybe from a junkyard??

Thanks

What do you need over 100 amps for? Wow. I would try for an 08-10 i think them made some tranny fixes etc.

Hi, I have a 09. Do you recommend to change the alt?? Maybe from a junkyard??

Thanks

you cant do anything except for buy a reman... no junk yards in my area have anything newer than 02

What do you need over 100 amps for? Wow. I would try for an 08-10 i think them made some tranny fixes etc.

there were others in other threads that were having problems with sound systems and the weak electrical... at idle a 105amp alt is lucky to be doing 45-50 and that cant keep up with anything added let alone the demands of the headlights and pcm related things

I'm not looking to add a sound system so I'm good there. I might add a pair of driving lights.

Any other problems I should be looking for? Any upgrades on later years, like tranny that superinstaller mentioned?

My ’09 V6 has thermostat housing replaced with metal one due the factory plastic housing failing (around 61k miles). Apparently this failure is not unique to my truck; the parts department guy at my local dealership replace the plastic housing of his ’06 every 2 years.

For the 4.6 earlier than 2008 1/2 expect warped manifolds (if they haven't been fixed) and premature spark plug failure (plus difficulty in removing them) and front hub bearing failure every 70k or so miles for any year model 4.6. For the 4.0 expect to replace the tranny fluid every 30k miles to be on the safe side to and make it last and radiator/thermostat housing issues on the pre 2008 1/2 (?) models unless it has been replaced and a 16 PSI radiator cap put in instead of the 20 PSI factory cap. If you plan on doing any towing you will want the 4.6 even though the 4.0 with the tow package is okay with loads up to 5k lbs. particularly since the fuel economy difference is pretty much negligible.

Get on a plane tonight and I'll knock off $1000 off mine. :D I'm trading it in tomorrow if it doesn't sell today.:(

for the 4.6 earlier than 2008 1/2 expect warped manifolds (if they haven't been fixed) and premature spark plug failure (plus difficulty in removing them) and front hub bearing failure every 70k or so miles for any year model 4.6. For the 4.0 expect to replace the tranny fluid every 30k miles to be on the safe side to and make it last and radiator/thermostat housing issues on the pre 2008 1/2 (?) models unless it has been replaced and a 16 psi radiator cap put in instead of the 20 psi factory cap. If you plan on doing any towing you will want the 4.6 even though the 4.0 with the tow package is okay with loads up to 5k lbs. Particularly since the fuel economy difference is pretty much negligible.

omg

V8 is rare apparently. Can't find one within 150 miles of me.

5th gen are becoming available under $20k. Would that be a better buy than the 4th gen?

Drive one first. There very different.

Some car rental places have them. Rent one for a day, see what you think.

Back