Hood Struts ?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

Peter, could be a little more specific?
Like make, part #?
The part number as per Ford parts website for a 2014 Lincoln, is 16C826 and is priced at $39.23. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to show the bracket that holds the lower end. That bracket appears to be spot welded to the frame where your shocks are fastened.
If seems the best thing to do is for someone to take advantage of the offer in the post by JUGRNT since the proper placement would be very important.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on, somebody has to want this? lol

I would volunteer however I have not got the vehicle yet. I have a place on lake st clair which is 2hrs from dexter. When i get my vehicle if no one has opt'd in I will volunteer.

Explorer hood strut

Do any of the 2015 come stock with a hood strut? If so, is it possible to install one on the XLT?

in a word NO .. just a minor inconvenience and
disappointment

Totally agree. Vehicle of this size and price with a Prop Rod is crazy.

Do any of the 2015 come stock with a hood strut? If so, is it possible to install one on the XLT?
Using the Forum's 'Search' program, which all members are encouraged to use, I found this existing thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

The prop rod is very cheap looking for a 50k vehicle,believe Ford is trying it's best to revive it's struggling Lincoln brand by giving the Lincoln more chrome etc.

Look at Lincolns try in the highly competitive pick up market with the Blackwood.

I'm not too surprised by the prop rod - it's actually safer over all.

what I'm more upset over is the reduction in the overall opening. IE It could easily use a longer prop rod but the length is constrained by the storage location of the prop rod.

If there was a strut mod - I could see possibly mounting a lower point on the existing front strut mounting bolts. some flavor attachment into the hood frame edge without drilling through it possibly. The struts do need to be as close to the hinge line as possible.

Wouldn't mind an extendable prop rod replacement too though.

I'm not too surprised by the prop rod - it's actually safer over all.

what I'm more upset over is the reduction in the overall opening. IE It could easily use a longer prop rod but the length is constrained by the storage location of the prop rod.

If there was a strut mod - I could see possibly mounting a lower point on the existing front strut mounting bolts. some flavor attachment into the hood frame edge without drilling through it possibly. The struts do need to be as close to the hinge line as possible.

Wouldn't mind an extendable prop rod replacement too though.
I think the biggest factor would be fashioning a lower bracket attachment (see post 17).

Peter

Being a hot area, the life of gas struts can be limited due to the heat (and cold) as I saw on a previous vehicle that the struts performance declined over the 3+ years in the AZ heat. Yeah, for the price point, you'd think the EX wouldn't have the prop rod, but they don't fail due to climate.

Being a hot area, the life of gas struts can be limited due to the heat (and cold) as I saw on a previous vehicle that the struts performance declined over the 3+ years in the AZ heat. Yeah, for the price point, you'd think the EX wouldn't have the prop rod, but they don't fail due to climate.
I guess that would then apply to the liftgate struts as well?

Peter

true and does, but you don't have an engine running/sitting in the same area all the time.
The HEAT is hard on everything for sure, big change for me going on year 10 from 30 in Seattle :)

I think the biggest factor would be fashioning a lower bracket attachment (see post 17).

Peter

which is why I mentioned attachment via the strut mount bolts vs the spot welded piece used on your car. Honestly I do think the bigger issue is free space for the struts and attachment location to the hood.

which is why I mentioned attachment via the strut mount bolts vs the spot welded piece used on your car. Honestly I do think the bigger issue is free space for the struts and attachment location to the hood.
That's what I meant to say. I piece to allow mounting to the strut mount. I guess what I was thinking didn't make it down to my fingers.:D

Peter

2016 ex sport no hood strut?

How come on a 2016 $50k SUV still using hood prop? And the 2013 police interceptor sedan has hood strut.

Because it would have raised the price another $20?

My guess is that they have it on the interceptor because of the frequent maintenance done on them for ease of servicing.

Because it would have raised the price another $20?

My guess is that they have it on the interceptor because of the frequent maintenance done on them for ease of servicing.

You are probably right on that. But I would be more than happy to pay that $20 for the set of struts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just another thing that goes bad, if you want my opinion.

I would say the average SUV driver doesn't pop the hood much so why add convenience to the mechanics that work on it.

As far as a mechanics point of view, they are gonna thank Ford in about 7-10 years when they don't have to worry about using a broom stick to hold the hood up to work on it.

Then again Mercedes SUV's have them and the hoods go damn near vertical when they open.

Back