LED Headlight Bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Headlight Bulbs

vynvyn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 ford explorer sport
Just recently installed led bulbs on my headlights and fogs and i'm happy with the results. The thing is I can't put back the rubber covers at the back anymore. The heatsink is way too big and it tends to heat up very fast. Should I make a modified rubber cover or should i leave it without the rubber cover anymore to provide better ventilation of heat coming from the fan/heatsink? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typically you want to still use the cap, but cut a hole to fit around the new bulb. This is what I did with my HID install.

Hi. I also bought a rubber cap designed for these led headlights. After just one night one bulb stopped working. Checked the other day and it was working again. I think they have overheating cut off or something. I think they don't have proper ventilation when these rubber caps are placed. The fog lights with led didn't fail me. They don't have rubber caps like the headlights. If i remove the rubber caps from the headlights, what could be the cons?

Will the headlight assembly get moisture or damage if i don't put back the rubber dust cap?

Will the headlight assembly get moisture or damage if i don't put back the rubber dust cap?

Agreed, that's the main thing is keeping stuff OUT of the assembly that shouldn't get into it.

Agreed, that's the main thing is keeping stuff OUT of the assembly that shouldn't get into it.

ABSOLUTELY! Get the rubber sealed as good as possible. If there are any holes anywhere use a silicone caulk that is waterproof for any holes that were cut in the rubber grommet to allow the initial installation. Go easy with the caulk gun and remember a nice clean line (less is more) applies here. Any excess can be cut away very easily with an Exacto knife or a razor blade. Dust, water, and even worse; road grime/silt/sand will get in there and cause problems. Keeping that stuff out is paramount. I've used silicone before for similar projects with good results. One application used to seal some rock sliders on a TJ lasted over 10 years with zero signs of degrading of the silicone or the seal...

Back