Won't idle, exhaust smells like gasoline. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't idle, exhaust smells like gasoline.

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
My Ex just is not happy lately, now I am stranded!

Had an issue I posted about the other day where it would not start. Traced it to a fuel issue and replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter.

Ran great for a couple days. Went to a friend's today and when I went to leave it started but was running really rough and stalled out. Could only get it running again by flooring the gas pedal while starting, and could keep it going by continuously revving it but then the exhaust started getting smoky (bluish) and really smells of gas. Lettting off the gas pedal makes it stall again. When its running like that it almost seems as if its not firing on all cylinders..

I did a search and found some posts, which made me decide to try cleaning the IAC. Took it off and is was pretty filthy in there. Sprayed it out with carb cleaner and let it dry a while. Re-assembled and have the same symptoms.

I very recently cleaned the MAF and throttle body as well.

Kind of screwed here, I am going to get a ride to the parts store to buy a new IAC. I figure it will be easy to bring back if it is not the culprit. There is a few posts that indicate a bad IAC will cause this.

Any further help would be hugely appreciated. I will post again after trying the new IAC.

-cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New IAC didn't do anything AND when I get it running it is literally SPRAYING gas out of the tailpipe now.
Totally screwed, running out of ideas!!

You know what, I think you are right!
Had difficulty finding the info here, not that it isn't; I found info on a Dodge site where a guy was troubleshooting a Ranger with the same issues.

Took the vacuum line off the bottom of the FPR and it was full of gas and more dribbled out the connector.

if the regulator has failed so much as to blow huge amounts of fuel into the intake manifold, then it would very likely cause these issues.
Kind of makes sense that a fresh fuel pump would cause it to fail now, since the pressure may have increased some.

I am going to do the work in a couple days and do up a detailed write-up for the site, haven't done one in a while.

I'll come back to this thread and put a link to it.
(or moan about it not working)

cheers

i had one fail on me years ago on my old 90 ranger (in the winter mind you). if it sat idling for 2 mins, the snow was black on the ground, if i drove, what ever snow that was on the back of the gate was black, the truck didnt want to heat up (the extra fuel was actually acting as a coolant) and it was getting like a whopping 7mpg on a 4L ohv. the other thing you might also want to do is a oil change as well if its over fueling

There was a huge black mark where my exhaust was spraying all over the grass and a cedar hedge, couldn't believe it. The gas must have been cleaning the soot out of the entire exhaust system.
Tried to smell the oil via the dipstick and cap, couldn't smell any gas. It's possible it did not run enough like that to contaminate it but I may just go ahead and drain the oil and re-fill it, when it gets running again.

A leaking pressure regulator will cause exactly your issues, PLUS it may have contributed to failure of the oxygen sensor. And caused the codes. Always best to test and verify rather than toss parts at it.

I'll try to pay closer attention next time and respond quicker!

Blue smoke out the exhaust is generally raw fuel, and now you know why. Too much fuel is almost worse than too little.

Don't forget to change the oil and filter too, heavy fuel input like this can actually fill the crankcase with gasoline.

Back