Roof Carrier Recommendation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Carrier Recommendation

jarettp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited 4wd
Looking for some guidance. I go camping pretty often and have reached the max cargo volume of my car and cargo carrier on the rear hitch. My next step will probably end up being adding a roof carrier to my car. Is anyone using one (hard or soft body) that's working for them? I'd mostly use it for soft items like clothes and towels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you looking to get a soft carrier with straps or a full rack system and cargo box? The soft kind sit on the roof and may interfere with a sunroof. I have friend's who have the Sears version and Thule version - both are fine.

I use a Thule hard cargo box that works well and super easy to attach (it has claws that tighten with knobs inside the box - no tools needed). They are universal fit but the claws are big and I think would touch the top of the roof using the factory or a cross bar flush with the cross bars.

For the Explorer I bought a new Thule Aeroblade (53") with the Thule 450R rail attachments. This puts the cross bars much higher and the box's claws won't touch the roof. Easy to setup with no real assembly other than putting the cross bars on. I was going to buy the Yakima Whisperbar but the REI rep steered me to Thule, as he felt it was easier to install and more solid setup (he has done many installations of both). I also use the rack for kayaks and bikes (when I max out my Thule T2 hitch rack).

These bars are super quiet, as I checked the wind noise at 90 mph - barely perceptible with the radio off and much quieter than the traditional round (Yakima) and square (Thule) bars (even with a fairing) that have used the past 30 years.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely considering both soft and hard options. I'd be fine going with a soft roof bag if someone has had good luck with them. My concern is having them sit directly on the roof. Or them possibly getting my belongings wet. The price difference between them and the hard carriers is huge though. Plus storing the hard carriers would be a pain. I take it you don't live in an apartment if you have bikes, kayaks, and a hard body carrier.

I haven't tried this on my Ex yet, but have on a 2009 Escape and it was really nice. kept everything nice and dry (trip to Myrtle Beach) and it rained the whole trip down. I did take it with us when we went to Disney this year with the Ex, but didn't end up needing it, so it just stayed rolled up in the back of the truck.

http://amzn.com/B000H6P55W

But get this, and put under it, (cut to fit): http://amzn.com/B0024QF4GI

IIRC the straps included was sufficient and held nice and firm, I only had 1 cross bar on the Escape, as this bag is huge.

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely considering both soft and hard options. I'd be fine going with a soft roof bag if someone has had good luck with them. My concern is having them sit directly on the roof. Or them possibly getting my belongings wet. The price difference between them and the hard carriers is huge though. Plus storing the hard carriers would be a pain. I take it you don't live in an apartment if you have bikes, kayaks, and a hard body carrier.

The Thule soft bags are padded on the bottom to protect the vehicle's finish. You can also mount them on top of the cross bars to keep them off the finish. And the bags are supposed to be waterproof.

Orr's Racks Direct or Rack Attack usually has them at a good price.

I haven't tried this on my Ex yet, but have on a 2009 Escape and it was really nice. kept everything nice and dry (trip to Myrtle Beach) and it rained the whole trip down. I did take it with us when we went to Disney this year with the Ex, but didn't end up needing it, so it just stayed rolled up in the back of the truck.

http://amzn.com/B000H6P55W

But get this, and put under it, (cut to fit): http://amzn.com/B0024QF4GI

IIRC the straps included was sufficient and held nice and firm, I only had 1 cross bar on the Escape, as this bag is huge.
Funny enough. I just went to myrtle beach this weekend.

I haven't mounted it to my Explorer yet, but I have a Rola 59150 Pursuit rooftop carrier that we have used on my wife's Honda Odyssey many times. It is very roomy and has performed very well. It has seen thousands of highway miles and many southern thunderstorms. We're very pleased with it. You'd definitely need the crossbars for it.

FYI your roof carrier limit is 100lbs - you need cross bars - this car its a no-no to place directly on roof.

Also check out the long post on cross bars-some are much quieter than others due to design-the noise can include whistling or howling at hiway speeds.

My brother uses this CURT roof rack and puts his bags on it then just ties them down with straps. It works well for him.

I already have the oem crossbars. Would a soft sided bag sit on top of them or in between them?

I know this is an old post but I bought the Curt Roof Mounted Cargo Basket system and it doesn't seem to fit with the OEM cross bars there is not enough clearance for the mounting hardware . Anyone have and advice on this ?

I know this is an old post but I bought the Curt Roof Mounted Cargo Basket system and it doesn't seem to fit with the OEM cross bars there is not enough clearance for the mounting hardware . Anyone have and advice on this ?
I did a 'Search' on "curt" and aside from curt hitches, this was the only one I found regarding the roof top carrier. Pictures are no longer there unfortunately; Roof-top Cargo Basket

Peter

Roof Basket that works with 2016 Sport

I am having a hard time finding a roof basket that is compatible with the fixed locations of the 2016 Sport crossbars.

The spacing of bottom support bars on the racks I have tried don't line up with the position of the Sport crossbars.

Has anyone found a roof basket that doesn't require adjustable crossbars for mounting?

Thanks in advance.

Back