Rear Passenger Wheel Binding 2002 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Passenger Wheel Binding 2002 Explorer XLT

jimmydc22

Reaction score
City, State
Hyden, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer and the rear passenger wheel feels like something is binding it "especially when turning" and makes a grinding noise. It is more pronounced when going slow speeds and after the vehicle is driven far enough to warm up. Someone told me it could be the clutch pack but would that cause only one wheel to bind. Seems more to me like something closer to the wheel binding. I checked the brake pads and rotor and saw no sign of excessive wear to indicate a caliper sticking. Could this be a rear hub gone bad? Thanks for any input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The emergency brake shoes are inside the rear rotor. If yours are OE, there's a good chance they've come apart and are catching on the drum surface of the rotor.

Thanks for the input. I checked the emergency brakes and took out what was left of them but didn't fix the grinding noise.

Wheel bearing. Very common. Figure about $500-700 depending on variables. Do both sides.

I had the exact same problem. Grinding at slow speeds when turning after driving for a while, but now at regular road speed.

Mechanic friend of mine lifted the car up off the ground a few inches and had me put it in drive then listened to each wheel to find the bad bearing.

Don't go cheap on the replacement unless you want to do it again in 10,000 miles.

Back