Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 89 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Hi guys,i am new here and i registered because i have the same issue...
I have 2013 ford explorer ltd with 3.5 engine.. i started smelling the burnt smell when i reached 9,000KM and told my dealership about it, they just replaced the
filter below the globe box and told me that it was dirty... but after that, smell still coming out during hard rev...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,i am new here and i registered because i have the same issue...
I have 2013 ford explorer ltd with 3.5 engine.. i started smelling the burnt smell when i reached 9,000KM and told my dealership about it, they just replaced the
filter below the globe box and told me that it was dirty... but after that, smell still coming out during hard rev...

Sorry to hear your dealer is not cooperating.
There is a TBS out for this issue, print it and take it to the dealership.
Ford knows about this.
If they won't help take it to a different dealer.

I took my complete air box and inlet tube off last night and there was a lot of oil in the inlet tube. I'm very familiar with this as I'm in the Mustang and Lightning community. There is TONS of blowby with these 3.5's just like all the 4.6 Mustangs. This is most of the cause of people smelling burnt oil. Does anyone make a catch can/ oil separator for these?

I have a 2014 Limited with 20k miles on it. I occasionaly get this smell from hard acceleration and I have followed this issue here on this forum. Recently a new Hyvee gas station opened up by me and they sell ethanol free gasoline at 91 octane. I just ran that whole tank through and did some interstate driving with some hard acceleration merges. I also buzzed around town with some hard accelerations from 0-60 with the pedal to the floor. I did not have any burnt or exhaust smell from this tank of gas. The vehicle ran noticably better also. I just filled up on Friday again but this time I used shells 93 octane "top fuel" but still has 10% ethanol. The smell returned with this tank of gas. I will go back to Hyvee and fill up with the pure gasoline again and see if it was a fluke or if the ethanol has something to do with it. You can find ethanol free stations in your area at the following link. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp I know there is a TSB for this issue I am just offering what I experienced. Thanks :salute:

I have a friend that has just recently bought a new Edge. He has the same problem. I went to the Edge forum and sure enough......

I have a friend that has just recently bought a new Edge. He has the same problem. I went to the Edge forum and sure enough......

Only a matter of time before the government will fine Ford 100+ million dollars.
Unbelievable

Exhaust in cabin of 2011 explorer

I just had my 2011 explorer xlt repaired almost 800.00 $ they said that ford had two builitin out on 2011-2015 model yrs that the rear ac fresh air vent or drain I'm not sure witch is defective and after hard acceleration and hard breaking the vacuum that is caused by the car allows the gas is suck into the cabin

I've got the same problem. 2015 Explorer Sport with about 5k miles on it. I keep watching this thread hoping for some good news and a fix but so far it doesn't sound like there is much hope.

So I finally took my Sport in for service and mentioned the smell during hard acceleration. After the tech looked at it the service advisor told me they will be ordering some sort of seal kit to seal off some area near the back of the vehicle. So it seems I will be getting a fix without any arguing with the dealer. This is an AutoNation Ford dealer.

So I finally took my Sport in for service and mentioned the smell during hard acceleration. After the tech looked at it the service advisor told me they will be ordering some sort of seal kit to seal off some area near the back of the vehicle. So it seems I will be getting a fix without any arguing with the dealer. This is an AutoNation Ford dealer.
I hope that this will take care of the issue. There have been several members who had this "fix" done who still had the issue afterwards. Please let us know the result. Thanks.

Peter

At least for my 2016 Explorer Sport I think it was just something from the factory burning off. I did some pretty hard accelerations yesterday, racing my husband in his Optima SX (mostly from 0-80 from traffic lights).
First off: I won. :D
Second: No smell whatsoever.

Sorry for making it look like the 2016 still has this issue. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but mine doesn't seem to have it.

Sadly, I am again experiencing the smell. Though, not as reported here as a burnt smell, but the rotten egg one. With my Ex it seems to make a difference if I accelerate hard from a full stop (no/hardly any smell) compared to accelerating when I was already moving (e.g. speeding up from 40 to 70mph).
I currently have 2800 miles on my Sport and since I guess that there is no fix there yet, I haven't brought the Ex in for this issue. But I will definitely let them know when I bring it in for the first service to get it documented.

One thing though, when driving my husband's car (2013 Optima SX) and accelerating hard, there was also a slight whiff of a similar smell. Maybe I was hallucinating, or maybe I am sensitive to this smell now.
Could it be a turbo related problem with the rotten egg smell?

Sadly, I am again experiencing the smell. Though, not as reported here as a burnt smell, but the rotten egg one. With my Ex it seems to make a difference if I accelerate hard from a full stop (no/hardly any smell) compared to accelerating when I was already moving (e.g. speeding up from 40 to 70mph).
I currently have 2800 miles on my Sport and since I guess that there is no fix there yet, I haven't brought the Ex in for this issue. But I will definitely let them know when I bring it in for the first service to get it documented.

One thing though, when driving my husband's car (2013 Optima SX) and accelerating hard, there was also a slight whiff of a similar smell. Maybe I was hallucinating, or maybe I am sensitive to this smell now.
Could it be a turbo related problem with the rotten egg smell?
I believe the 'rotten egg' (sulphur) smell is caused when a large mount of exhaust is forced through the catalytic convertor. All gas contains various levels of sulphur and the amount is unregulated. I've had vehicles that also exhibited this but it only lasts a few seconds.

Peter

I believe the 'rotten egg' (sulphur) smell is caused when a large mount of exhaust is forced through the catalytic convertor. All gas contains various levels of sulphur and the amount is unregulated. I've had vehicles that also exhibited this but it only lasts a few seconds.

Peter

Thanks Peter. True, it doesn't linger for long, I'd say around a minute or two, depending if the window is open or not. But still, it is a really strong smell. My parents were asking if everything is alright with my car.

I tried 2 different gas stations so far, but can't detect a real difference while reproducing the smell.

So I have been on this forum almost daily since I noticed this problem with my brand new explorer. I also did a lot of lemon law research for my state, Florida, and am wondering if anyone on here has had any luck with Ford with pursuing this via legal methods?
I went through the 3 repair attempts required and then did the final repair attempt. Sadly, the problem is still present during times of hard accelaration, such as merging with traffic or passing at highway speeds. I am waiting on the Ford legal analyst I have been dealing with to call me back, but I am wondering if anyone has any advise to help the process or if there are any success stories with either having Ford buyback the vehicle (which I REALLY don't since I love the thing other then the smell) or a replacement (which would be my preffered method of fixing this).
Also, to everyone on here, please research your respective states lemon laws! Different states have different laws, so you have to find out your state specific rules, but it may solve your problem. So far I have been going about this by myself, just using the resources available to me online, and have not had to get an attorney involved. I will keep everyone updated to see what solution Ford comes back with... fingers crosses its positive!

Also, does anyone out there have a 2016 Sport? I am wondering if this same problem is happening on the 2016s or if Ford has finally fixed it.
Thanks!

Also, does anyone out there have a 2016 Sport? I am wondering if this same problem is happening on the 2016s or if Ford has finally fixed it.
Thanks!

Mine is a 2016 Sport, but I don't have burnt smell, I have rotten egg smell. Otherwise the same.

I took my complete air box and inlet tube off last night and there was a lot of oil in the inlet tube. I'm very familiar with this as I'm in the Mustang and Lightning community. There is TONS of blowby with these 3.5's just like all the 4.6 Mustangs. This is most of the cause of people smelling burnt oil. Does anyone make a catch can/ oil separator for these?

Yes. This catch catch was talked about in the modified forums. I bought one, works, fits great and easy to install. JLT Performance.
I purchased it to minimize the potential issue of carbon buildup on the intake valves due to the turbos. I've have never had the fume smell issue on my 2014 Ex Sport so can't say one way or another if a catch can improves or completely solves the problem.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=378&products_id=653

This actually happens to a lot of new cars.

The smell is caused by the catalytic converter, but it is NOT broken. In fact, the bad smell is a sign that the converter is working quite well. It doesn't need to be fixed, and the smell will go away with time.

"So what is that awful smell? It's hydrogen sulfide or H2S. It does not exist in the fuel or oil, which is why you can't smell it at the gas station. It does, however, come from the gasoline. Almost all gasoline contains organic sulfur compounds with sulfur levels ranging from 30 to 100 parts per million, approximately.

"As the fuel burns, the organic sulfur compounds break down into simpler compounds. If the engine is running lean (more air than is needed to burn the fuel), the sulfur is likely to be SO2, or sulfur dioxide. The catalytic converter can change this into SO3 (sulfur trioxide), which then reacts with the catalyst to form sulfates on the catalyst. Over several minutes there is a build up of sulfates. If the engine suddenly starts to run rich (not enough air to burn all the fuel), such as when you stop at a red light, climb a steep hill, or brake hard to slow down, the chemistry changes. Now the sulfates are unstable and they react to form hydrogen sulfide, which is expelled from the exhaust pipe all at once. The high concentration is the reason for the bad smell! This effect is a common problem with new vehicles because the catalyst is working at a very high efficiency. However, as the catalyst gets older, the activity drops. Fortunately for us, one of the first reactions to be affected is the formation of hydrogen sulfide. So as the catalyst gets older, the smell will go away. It should also be noted that many catalysts never smell bad. One reason might be because the vehicle doesn't run lean for much of the time, or perhaps the catalyst has an extra component that reduces the production of hydrogen sulfide.

Thanks to, Dr. Gordon Bartley, a principal scientist in the Emissions Research Department of the Automotive Products and Emissions Research Division. Bartley specializes in the development, aging, and evaluation of vehicle emission catalysts.

The smell is caused by the catalytic converter, but it is NOT broken. In fact, the bad smell is a sign that the converter is working quite well. It doesn't need to be fixed, and the smell will go away with time.

"So what is that awful smell? It's hydrogen sulfide or H2S. It does not exist in the fuel or oil, which is why you can't smell it at the gas station. It does, however, come from the gasoline. Almost all gasoline contains organic sulfur compounds with sulfur levels ranging from 30 to 100 parts per million, approximately.

"As the fuel burns, the organic sulfur compounds break down into simpler compounds. If the engine is running lean (more air than is needed to burn the fuel), the sulfur is likely to be SO2, or sulfur dioxide. The catalytic converter can change this into SO3 (sulfur trioxide), which then reacts with the catalyst to form sulfates on the catalyst. Over several minutes there is a build up of sulfates. If the engine suddenly starts to run rich (not enough air to burn all the fuel), such as when you stop at a red light, climb a steep hill, or brake hard to slow down, the chemistry changes. Now the sulfates are unstable and they react to form hydrogen sulfide, which is expelled from the exhaust pipe all at once. The high concentration is the reason for the bad smell! This effect is a common problem with new vehicles because the catalyst is working at a very high efficiency. However, as the catalyst gets older, the activity drops. Fortunately for us, one of the first reactions to be affected is the formation of hydrogen sulfide. So as the catalyst gets older, the smell will go away. It should also be noted that many catalysts never smell bad. One reason might be because the vehicle doesn't run lean for much of the time, or perhaps the catalyst has an extra component that reduces the production of hydrogen sulfide.

Thanks to, Dr. Gordon Bartley, a principal scientist in the Emissions Research Department of the Automotive Products and Emissions Research Division. Bartley specializes in the development, aging, and evaluation of vehicle emission catalysts.

Are you serious?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what H2S does to you, in case you didn't know.

What about longer term health effects? Some people who breathed in levels of hydrogen sulfide high enough to become unconscious continue to have headaches and poor attention span, memory, and motor function after waking up. Problems with the cardiovascular system have also been reported at exposures above permissible exposure limits. People who have asthma may be more sensitive to hydrogen sulfide exposure. That is, they may have difficulty breathing at levels lower than people without asthma.

The explosive range of hydrogen sulfide in air is 4.5 to 45.5 percent. This range is much higher than the PEL.

Safety Hazards

Hydrogen sulfide is a highly flammable, explosive gas, and can cause possible life-threatening situations if not properly handled. In addition, hydrogen sulfide gas burns and produces other toxic vapors and gases, such as sulfur dioxide.
In addition to exposure to hydrogen sulfide in the air, exposure to liquid hydrogen sulfide can cause "blue skin" or frostbite. If clothing becomes wet, avoid ignition sources, remove the clothing and isolate it in a safe area to allow it to evaporate.
The effect called knockdown (rapid unconsciousness) often results in falls that can seriously injure the worker.
The following resources provide more information on the safety and health effects of hydrogen sulfide:

Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) (PDF*). OSHA Fact Sheet. (2005, October). Provides a concise list of industrial sources, symptoms and health effects of exposure to hydrogen sulfide, and OSHA requirements for the protection of workers.
Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) (PDF). OSHA QuickCard. Provides the important safety precautions for hydrogen sulfide.
Workplace Safety and Health Topics - Hydrogen Sulfide. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Provides a listing of NIOSH and related resources on hydrogen sulfide.
NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 2005-149. Provides physical descriptions, exposure limits, measurement methods, personal protection and sanitation, first aid, respirator recommendations, exposure routes, symptoms, target organs, and other information about hydrogen sulfide.
IDLH Documentation for Hydrogen Sulfide. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), (Revised 1996, August 16). Describes how NIOSH determined hydrogen sulfide Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health (IDLH).
ToxFAQs for Hydrogen Sulfide. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), (2006, July). Answers the most frequently asked health questions about hydrogen sulfide.
Toxicological Profile for Hydrogen Sulfide. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), (2006, July). More detailed technical information on hydrogen sulfide, health effects, chemical and physical properties, potential for human exposure, and analytical methods.
Medical Management Guidelines for Hydrogen Sulfide. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), (2006, April). Provides general information about hydrogen sulfide, its health effects, and specific medical treatments for hydrogen sulfide exposure.

Back