metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine

As 4 points pointed out , yes you can use it if you swap out to clip in style sensors. My parts are located on ebay, amazon and now my own site ,"www.simmonsautosports.com". If you buy through the web site goes right to paypal for payment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any update and availability for the 01 to 05 4.0 SOHC ST's?

Thanks for the posting. Back to 02, so unsure for my 01. I have the dual sensor, and this part is machined for 1, but I could machine the second. I also am curious on the upper thermostat/radiator hose mount angle, it it is the higher or lower angle? My other curiosity centers around this piece being just a direct re-cast of the original piece, why not eliminate some of the obvious problems like the lower Rubber-band O-ring?

Has anyone on this forum used this in their ST?

Yes the dual sensor lower housing and upper metal housing are available for the 2001-2005 sport trac. search for metal thermostat housing on ebay or amazon for the sport trac and you will find it. Also can be ordered through the company web site at www.simmonsautosportz.com

A metal lower thermostat housing...heck yes i'll buy it ,

Yes the dual sensor lower housing and upper metal housing are available for the 2001-2005 sport trac. search for metal thermostat housing on ebay or amazon for the sport trac and you will find it. Also can be ordered through the company web site at www.simmonsautosportz.com

The title of this thread is throwing me off.... is this available for a '97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC?

Click on the simmonsautosport link then click on the home link the 1998-2001 housing is shown does it look like your's?

housing

The title of this thread is throwing me off.... is this available for a '97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC?

I have the bottom thermostat housing on my 98 4.0 sohc, your 97 should be the same as mine. I had to switch to the new style temp sensors that are held in with clips instead of threads, I got them from a junkyard for a couple of dollars. I am using the original plastic upper housing since it is different than the others.

I must say that I am very happy with the aluminum lower housing!

I have the bottom thermostat housing on my 98 4.0 sohc, your 97 should be the same as mine. I had to switch to the new style temp sensors that are held in with clips instead of threads, I got them from a junkyard for a couple of dollars. I am using the original plastic upper housing since it is different than the others.

I must say that I am very happy with the aluminum lower housing!

Any other place to get those clipped sensors besides the junkyard? I don't have any junkyard area I could check in my area.

Looks like something new and a viable alternative to the highly regarded Simmons Autosports aluminum t-stat housing. Biggest difference appears to be the threaded ECT sensor and gauge sender vs. Simmons o-ring sensor/sender seals. Common failure on the earlier 4.0 SOHC threaded housings were the threads fracturing when loosened. Seems the only benefit of the Austek part is it's slightly less expensive than the Simmons, and includes everything including both sensors. Interesting thing is, "most" that have done the plastic Motorcraft RH-148 upgrade, have had very few reported failures of splitting seams. Should you decide try the Austek part, please keep us posted with your findings. GL

4.0 SOHC plastic thermostat housing | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Thanks for your input. Yes I noticed that this one has threaded ports. This particular housing can be had for significantly less money on some secondary e-commerce sites, which really is the primary advantage. It does have a "lifetime" warranty, but I suspect that although "assembled" stateside, it is probably manufactured in Asia. I would prefer the Simmons product for sure, but if I can find this one for 1/3 the cost I may give it a try.

I looked at the Austek web site and it looks like there lower housing is a two-piece design that why its cheaper. If you look close at the lower housing the three holes that the bolts go through to bolt the housing down to the head have threaded inserts. I Could of made my housing that way but then you are back to the same design flaw as the plastic one. There is a seal that encompasses the entire lower housing and the small tube looks to be steel and pressed in which creates corrosion. The SImmonsAutosportz part has a one piece lower housing and is all aluminum.

Does the metal thermostat housing from Simmons for the 97-01 sohc include the upper and lower housing for $150.00, can anyone confirm this?

Does the metal thermostat housing from Simmons for the 97-01 sohc include the upper and lower housing for $150.00,
can anyone confirm this?

Yes it includes the upper and lower housing, all o-rings you need and the two gaskets. Just swap the thermostat and temp sensor from your old housing. I provide a new o-ring for the temp sensor.

Thanks for the reply. After reading through I do believe I will need the newer type drop in sensor that's unthreaded though correct? Or do the old threaded ones work as well??

I am looking at the next gen sensors,

Motocraft part #
SW6146 temp sender sensor
DY1269 sensor It appears that the DY1269 part number has superseded the DY1004.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ordered from SimmonsAutosportz today and and feel lucky to have found this part considering the stealership here in Canada wants $800 for the complete housing, also the junkyards are picked clean for these housings around here.

Somehow after 170000 miles my housing still isn't leaking but the thermostat and temp sender are toast and the thing looks so decrepid that I don't think I can touch it without something breaking. This aluminum housing will ease my mind, worth every penny IMO.

But hopefully the oem unit comes out in one piece, than I can sell it, lol.
Wondering what type of plastic that oem housing is?
Going to try some PB blaster. Will PB hurt the plastic housing? Any other tips on removing housing to salvage it somehow?

Also just wanted to add that dealing with SimmonsAutosportz was Great, Quick communication and ordering from the website was a breeze.

Back