Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

From everything I've read, you just need the tow/haul button if you have a sport. Still wouldn't be "legal" but you'd be properly equipped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I just want to say thank you to everybody contributing in this thread. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with out the tow package, I wish I would've gotten one with the tow package. I am in the USAF and was recently told that I have to move from Utah to NY.

This would not have been a problem except that my other car was a 2013 Nissan Leaf. If you don't know what a Nissan Leaf is, it's an electric car with only a 80 mile range. It wasn't going to make it to NY by itself. So I thought it would be a good idea to tow it with the explorer.

I used all of the info on this forum to make my explorer able to tow it.

I installed the oil cooler. Hopefully you can make it out.

IMG_1841.jpg

I installed the tow button.

IMG_1840.jpg

And, of course, I installed the class three tow hook. The exhaust tips are wicked crooked. If anybody can tell me how to fix them that would be awesome.

IMG_1833.jpg

I was nervous about the transmission but I went ahead and did it anyways. Here I am getting read to set off from Utah.

IMG_4010.jpg

The car plus the trailer plus some stuff in the leaf had a combined weight over 4,000lbs. Trust me, I got super nervous towing this car over 2,000 miles.

Long story short, the Explorer did it. No problems at all. I even hit cruising speeds of 70 mph. Here it is at our new house in NY.

IMG_1836.jpg

It was a long grueling drive, especially with two little kids. But here is the trip info from my dash.

IMG_1839.jpg

MPG was not so great, granted I was towing over 4,000 lbs.

I wanted to make this post because I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who contributed in this thread. With this thread, I would not have done this. Also, the transmission did hold and ever since its been shifting smoothly. Again, if anybody can tell me how to fix the exhaust tips, that would be awesome.
Ok so I just got an oil change but I'm considering installing an oil cooler. a few questions:

1) Did you change your oil at the same time?
2) If not, did a lot of oil leak once you removed the filter? I haven't checked the location of it just yet.
3) Did you have to remove the front grill of the truck or were you able to reach the radiator from below?

Thanks!

Ok so I just got an oil change but I'm considering installing an oil cooler. a few questions:

1) Did you change your oil at the same time?
2) If not, did a lot of oil leak once you removed the filter? I haven't checked the location of it just yet.
3) Did you have to remove the front grill of the truck or were you able to reach the radiator from below?

Thanks!

1) I didn't change the oil, I just added some oil after the installation.
2) not much, just the typical amount when you change a filter.
3). Yes, I had to remove the whole front end to install the oil cooler. The grill and the front bumper because it is all one piece.

You did it without breaking any of the clips everyone has been complaining about?

You did it without breaking any of the clips everyone has been complaining about?

I wish I could say I didn't break a clip but unfortunately I did. My buddy just happened to have a device that heated up the plastic surfaces and we bonded it back on. It worked really well. I also didn't use any of the plastic tools to desperate clips, that's why we broke one.

I've used a butane torch for exactly that before on my explorer. Melted a cable tie in it for added strength. Ugh, that sounds like a hassle. Gonna put a little bit of thought into it. I'm thinking my truck will be fine for the 15 minute drive with about 3k behind her.

Hi, I just want to say thank you to everybody contributing in this thread. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT with out the tow package, I wish I would've gotten one with the tow package. I am in the USAF and was recently told that I have to move from Utah to NY.

This would not have been a problem except that my other car was a 2013 Nissan Leaf. If you don't know what a Nissan Leaf is, it's an electric car with only a 80 mile range. It wasn't going to make it to NY by itself. So I thought it would be a good idea to tow it with the explorer.

I used all of the info on this forum to make my explorer able to tow it.

I installed the oil cooler. Hopefully you can make it out.

IMG_1841.jpg

I installed the tow button.

IMG_1840.jpg

And, of course, I installed the class three tow hook. The exhaust tips are wicked crooked. If anybody can tell me how to fix them that would be awesome.

IMG_1833.jpg

I was nervous about the transmission but I went ahead and did it anyways. Here I am getting read to set off from Utah.

IMG_4010.jpg

The car plus the trailer plus some stuff in the leaf had a combined weight over 4,000lbs. Trust me, I got super nervous towing this car over 2,000 miles.

Long story short, the Explorer did it. No problems at all. I even hit cruising speeds of 70 mph. Here it is at our new house in NY.

IMG_1836.jpg

It was a long grueling drive, especially with two little kids. But here is the trip info from my dash.

IMG_1839.jpg

MPG was not so great, granted I was towing over 4,000 lbs.

I wanted to make this post because I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who contributed in this thread. With this thread, I would not have done this. Also, the transmission did hold and ever since its been shifting smoothly. Again, if anybody can tell me how to fix the exhaust tips, that would be awesome.

Great job making it as close to OEM as possible. I would tow the whole 5000 pound the car was designed for in a heartbeat with that setup. Just for piece of mind I would get a cheap obd2 Bluetooth dongle and an app that monitors various temps.

Lots of misinformation around here regarding the difference between "legality" and "ford fear tactics". Don't know about the states but in Ontario it would be impossible for someone to win a lawsuit based strictly on the fact that you were towing more than 2000 pounds with your explorer. So silly that so many people really think that's a possibility. There are 0 structural/safety differences between an Explorer with and without a towing package.

Now onto the good stuff. Care to share how you got that Tow Button added? My limited 302a has the autopark and tailgate buttons already there so wondering how much work is involved.

Great job making it as close to OEM as possible. I would tow the whole 5000 pound the car was designed for in a heartbeat with that setup. Just for piece of mind I would get a cheap obd2 Bluetooth dongle and an app that monitors various temps.

Lots of misinformation around here regarding the difference between "legality" and "ford fear tactics". Don't know about the states but in Ontario it would be impossible for someone to win a lawsuit based strictly on the fact that you were towing more than 2000 pounds with your explorer. So silly that so many people really think that's a possibility. There are 0 structural/safety differences between an Explorer with and without a towing package.

Now onto the good stuff. Care to share how you got that Tow Button added? My limited 302a has the autopark and tailgate buttons already there so wondering how much work is involved.

Thanks. To get that tow button you'll have to da a little bit of research. The best place to go to is fordparts.com. Put in your vehicle info and there you should be able to find the part number for the tow button with auto park and tail gate (I wish I had those features). Then once you've got the part number than google it and try to find a site that sells it the cheapest. Make sure you select the tow button that incorporates your other two buttons.

What exactly does the tow button do?
From the Owner's Guide;

The tow feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a
heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using tow.
The tow feature delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission
shifting. Tow also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position. This engine braking will
slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load
conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control
the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal
being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based
upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed.

Peter

I've read almost every post on this thread. I'm trying to figure out which button I need for the tow button. When I look on other sites with the part numbers, it gives several options such as, with or w/o auto parking and with or w/o this or that. I'm trying to figure out which one I need exactly. I plan on making this a "factory' install, minus the radiator seeing how it's very minor in cooling capacity. Should the day arise I need a new one, I'll upgrade that then. Until then, I plan on getting the factory receiver hitch, the tow button, the wiring and the factory oil cooler.

So after doing some digging and making phone calls, this is the correct part for a 13-15 Explorer, w/backup sensors, w/tow and w/o blindspot. It has the 4 and 7 pin connectors on the harness. Hope this helps others.

Part number is
DB5Z-15K868-D 13-15 Explorer

BB5Z-15K868-D 11-12 Explorer

So after doing some digging and making phone calls, this is the correct part for a 13-15 Explorer, w/backup sensors, w/tow and w/o blindspot. It has the 4 and 7 pin connectors on the harness. Hope this helps others.

Part number is DB5Z-15K868-D

Did they say why it is specifically 13-15 only? I would imagine it's the same connector for '11 and '12 as well?

Did they say why it is specifically 13-15 only? I would imagine it's the same connector for '11 and '12 as well?

For the 11-12 just change the first two letters to BB and the rest of the part number is the same. Sorry, I meant to mention that. They didn't say why they are different, but that's just what I've found and when you search the part number or click the link I added, it says it's for the 13-15.

Police Interceptor towing questions

I'm thinking about replacing my 2010 with a new(er) Explorer. I have my eye on a Police Interceptor with surprisingly low miles and I have a couple towing questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

I see that the PI has the heavy duty transmission and oil coolers but it lacks a hitch. Aside from the hitch and harness what would I need to add? I only plan on towing a popup camper which weighs about 3,000lbs when the fresh water tank is full.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about replacing my 2010 with a new(er) Explorer. I have my eye on a Police Interceptor with surprisingly low miles and I have a couple towing questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

I see that the PI has the heavy duty transmission and oil coolers but it lacks a hitch. Aside from the hitch and harness what would I need to add? I only plan on towing a popup camper which weighs about 3,000lbs when the fresh water tank is full.

Thanks!

All you really need to do at that point is install the factory class 3 hitch and harness. You could possibly install the tow button and I think it would work. The PI transmission is geared aggressively anyway which would help in towing and the cooling systems are top notch.

Thanks!
I merged your thread with this existing one.
You may also be interested in;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386861&highlight=towing+package
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can the factory look upgrade kit sold on ebay that was on this thread be used for a 2016? I want to add a hitch to my suv and make it as stock as possible and saw the video of the guy cutting out the rear bumper

Back