• Register Today It's free!

Wrong Brakes

trump

Reaction score
City, State
Monongahela,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
A few days ago I was replacing brakes and rotors. I ordered front rotors and pads from Rockauto for my 13 XLT. While replacing brakes I found that they are not the same as the ones that I took off. I had to put the old parts back on. My XLT has the tow package. Does the tow package cause it to have heavy duty brakes? Is there any way to get a build sheet to prevent any other surprises?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the tow package does have heavy-duty brakes...

There is a ford website where you can enter your vin and get the build sheet...

Thanks for the website

I looked up another 2013 vin without the tow package and it states it has the same brakes.

I think I've read somewhere that starting in 2012 or 2013 Ford started using the same brakes all around.

I think that only in 2011 or 2012 Ford had different brakes for Sport/PI and Limited/XLT/Base.

I looked up another 2013 vin without the tow package and it states it has the same brakes.

I think I've read somewhere that starting in 2012 or 2013 Ford started using the same brakes all around.

I think that only in 2011 or 2012 Ford had different brakes for Sport/PI and Limited/XLT/Base.

Your information is correct, it was 2013 model year change.

Chief Engineer and program team standardized all Explorer brakes to be the same heavy duty ones that started out as SPORT & Interceptor Utility only.

It also reduced Chicago Assembly plant part complexity.

Only difference now is Interceptor Utility pad composition.

For 2016 the rotor design changed slightly with the ventilation slots. Im still trying to see one so I can see the actual differences.

Might be a good idea to grab a 2016 rotor with newer design if that's in your budget.

I was an engineer at Kia and yeah I remember kiatechinfo.com being our resource for wiring diagrams and such.

Then they changed to a paid subscription of 1500 a year. Our plant then just used one login.

There are different listings for brakes. the base and xlt have standard brakes. The sport and police have heavy duty on the 13. I ordered pads and rotors for my 13 xlt from Rockauto and got the smaller brakes and rotors.

So, I just looked up our 2013 Limited with Tow package and it does not list the heavy duty brakes. Build date was 2-14-2012.

Back