Adding Switches | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Switches

Bowne24

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Been trying to find a practical spot for some aftermarket switches for AUX lights or whatever else I end up fabing in my ex. I noticed, since I got an XLT, that I don't have these buttons or even the part.
Parallel_Parking_Controls_Zoom_Out.jpg

I'm currently away from my ex and can't access the space, but is it possible to order that part that is originally for another model and fit it in mine? I'm sure its similar just don't know if it's been done/is practical. And would prefer to get it without the etchings on it so I can A)Drill holes and put switches on or B)Use them as buttons themselves.

I would use the Havis center console, but it looks adds a it of a rough look that I'm not sure I want going for me.
C-VS-1600-EXPL-1_A_1-12%20(2)_600.jpg

If this doesn't work, then I might just end up using the sunglass holder and put switches there. A bit torn because there aren't many free spaces cabin. :(

Input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could go inside the center console. I like the sunglass holder idea too, never seen seen that before.

You could go inside the center console. I like the sunglass holder idea too, never seen seen that before.

Could you elaborate a little? Like snap a pic of what area you're talking about?

you know, the storage area between the two front seats. Drill a hole in the bottom of the center console, run your wires and mount your switches inside. just a thought.

I think he is talking about either the lid covered storage where the USB port is or the storage under the arm rest. I can tell you the factory console is easy to take apart, most of it just snaps together.

Ah I gotcha. I actually use both for storage. Just a couple little things. But good suggestions! Never even though about the lid covered portion. Might look into that one.

I think he is talking about either the lid covered storage where the USB port is or the storage under the arm rest. I can tell you the factory console is easy to take apart, most of it just snaps together.

Correct, I was referring to the storage under the arm rest, and/or the area where the USB port is, but I wasn't sure if it was in the same location as mine since I have a 2015 and he has a 2011.

Okay. I wanna see if anyone is running the Havis setup on here.

Oh its full, just no switches. It wasn't complex, some of the instructions could have been in better order. If you do get one, don't wait until the last steps to mount the rear AC controls, do it before you mount the box or you cant get to the screws. Give me a bit and I will try to get a pic up.

Oh it is filled up! Lol. No need for switches I assume? Haha

Currently have no emergency lighting installed, probably wont in the future. I have an LED throw light I can stick on the roof if needed. I just cant justify a full light and siren install when I would rarely use them. Also the console is pretty much out of mounting space in the box. I mounted a fuse panel inside the console on the backend above the A/C controls. The most I have depth for is that storage bin, anything deeper will hit the aux fuse block. If you have the room the aux fuse block; it made the upfit a lot less complex. I simply ran two 4 gauge power cables into the console to feed that 100amp sub panel. All the other wiring never leaves the console except for the antenna coax.

Yeah I gotcha. I like the idea of the Havis Console, just not sure what id fill it with. The main use would be like 4 switches, if that haha. But they sell extra slots for like.. Storage, yeah? And how do you like the arm rests for it?

Yea they sell switch plates for the Havis. The arm rests are great, better in my opinion than the OEM, mainly because you can adjust them around to where you want them. The only thing I feel was lost in the OEM console removal was the storage space. For me that was something I was willing to sacrifice. If you are not going to mount much in it, they sell big storage bins to fill the Havis with. Keep in mind, these are not cheap new. I got a pretty nice deal and still paid over $500 for everything. The console only comes with three face plates, all other accessories, like arm rests are add on options.

As far as the included face plates, I assume they will only give you three equipment plates or blank covers. Doubt they will give you three big storage bins in the included deal.

Makes sense. I've inly been on their site a couple times and haven't looked too much into it because of just that, the pricing. Figured I could find a cheaper/not so bad looking option.

If anyone still looking into adding auxiliary switches, I found the perfect solution, is a tactile flat switch, it can be mounted almost anywhere, it has four outputs, I mounted the control box under the center console, currently I am using only one output for my light bar, check it out.

20151231_124934_zps0at1id4k.jpg

20151231_125148_zpsneqvfiuq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where did you find the tactile switch?

Back