Popping, Clicking noise from front. Newer TSB | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping, Clicking noise from front. Newer TSB

Welcome to the Forum jlittle2212.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this one but I'm not sure if you have the same issue since the posts seem to concern 2011 models but your description seems almost identical. According to the Warranty Guide constant velocity joints are covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

Thanks Peter! Everyone seems to be having problems with the right side.

My problem does seem identical, but on the left side. I have an appointment on Saturday at the dealer so hopefully will find out then! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had my appt. with dealer this morning. Received the diagnosis of TSB14-0186.

Not covered under powertrain warranty. :mad:

Has to do with the left CV joint needing a thrust washer.

So my 14 has this clicking when backing up and turning the wheel sometimes..but only in reveres and only for a brief click..not continuous...but i don't see a TSB for the 14s in this...

For those of you that had the front end noise did it sound like it was coming from the front on the passenger side? We have 90k miles on our 2011 Explorer and when we turn the steering wheel you can hear/feel noise. Almost like a coil spring releasing.

I left mine (73,000 miles) with the dealer this morning. For $78 (??!!) they diagnosed the problem as bad strut bearings and want around $500 to replace. (The struts must be removed to replace the bearings.) Clunking comes from the bearing not allowing the spring to rotate freely as the steering turns. At this point I plan to wait until the struts need replacing too. Sounds like a common ford suspension problem. Noise is not extreme and it does not look like any safety issue. Seems like there should be some way to add lubrication to avoid premature replacement! Look for online video of "2006-2012 Front Suspension Noise- Strut Bearing".

My 2011 Explorer Limited is making a deep popping, thumping sounds when turning the steering wheel left or right and when going over bumps. I can hear this noise when standing outside of the vehicle and turn the wheel. It's very noticeable under the hood as well. I've read several threads about suspension noise, but it's described as a tick or creak. Several threads listed a TSB for replacing thrust washers on the half shafts as well as the lower arms and bushings. Can someone provide me more direction? I do not want to pay an arm and a leg to have this replaced or wait a week for it to be repaired by my local dealership.

My 2011 Explorer Limited is making a deep popping, thumping sounds when turning the steering wheel left or right and when going over bumps. I can hear this noise when standing outside of the vehicle and turn the wheel. It's very noticeable under the hood as well. I've read several threads about suspension noise, but it's described as a tick or creak. Several threads listed a TSB for replacing thrust washers on the half shafts as well as the lower arms and bushings. Can someone provide me more direction? I do not want to pay an arm and a leg to have this replaced or wait a week for it to be repaired by my local dealership.

Go read the posts about front strut bushings and front arm links.

Thanks! Looks like I narrowed it down to the strut bearing mount. Wish I could find a preassembled strut like the quick-strut for my year model. It would make the whole process worth the teAr down

i have a 2015 Ford Explorer that has just started a popping sound in the front at slow speeds. Forward and reverse. Do not notice it at normal speed. Only have 45k miles. Is this the u joints?

If you can hear the noise turning the wheel as it's parked, it's most likely a strut bearing. Pretty minor fix. Mine was $200 at belle tire. I put my hand right on the spring as someone turned the wheel side to side and I could feel the bad side popping as the wheel turned.

My 2016 sport is doing this. Popping noise when turning. Sounds like its coming from the front end. Happens when I turn left or right. Seems to be happening more and more often.

i have a 2015 Ford Explorer that has just started a popping sound in the front at slow speeds. Forward and reverse. Do not notice it at normal speed. Only have 45k miles. Is this the u joints?

Is this only happening upon the first startup?
If yes, it's likely the ABS check.

My 2016 sport is doing this. Popping noise when turning. Sounds like its coming from the front end. Happens when I turn left or right. Seems to be happening more and more often.

TSB 16-0021 BODY CREAK/POP NOISE OVER BUMPS - RIGHT FRONT SUBFRAME BOLT AREA - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/31/2016
Publication Date: February 23, 2016

FORD: 2016 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2016 Explorer vehicles built on or before 1/31/2016 may exhibit a pop or creak noise from the right front mounting bolt of the front subframe. This condition may be due to a mispositioned weld between the barrel nut and the subframe mounting bracket

My summation of the fix: The have to remove the right front wheel and splash shield. Then they mark lines on the sheet metal on the inner fender and using a cutting wheel tool make a flap that allows access to the barrel nut they are referring to. They weld the nut to subframe, fold the flap back up, weld that, apply some anti rust stuff and put it back together.

Estimated time to fix - 1.3 hrs.

TSB 16-0021 BODY CREAK/POP NOISE OVER BUMPS - RIGHT FRONT SUBFRAME BOLT AREA - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/31/2016
Publication Date: February 23, 2016

FORD: 2016 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2016 Explorer vehicles built on or before 1/31/2016 may exhibit a pop or creak noise from the right front mounting bolt of the front subframe. This condition may be due to a mispositioned weld between the barrel nut and the subframe mounting bracket

My summation of the fix: The have to remove the right front wheel and splash shield. Then they mark lines on the sheet metal on the inner fender and using a cutting wheel tool make a flap that allows access to the barrel nut they are referring to. They weld the nut to subframe, fold the flap back up, weld that, apply some anti rust stuff and put it back together.

Estimated time to fix - 1.3 hrs.

Thank you 613GT500. Can't ask for quicker response and better service than that!

I guess i'll have to make another trip to the dealer. I absolutely love this truck, but I am on a first name basis with the service advisors.

You can quickly eliminate or prove the strut bearing by holding your hand on the spring as someone turns the steering lock to lock (fully in each direction). You will feel and here subtle pops as the spring winds up a little, then releases during the turning motion.

Keith

Wife tells me that when she turns into a parking space slowly, she gets a popping sound from driver side. I just had the strut mounts replaced about a month prior, as I heard these are notorious for failure. That was a clunk feel/sound when parked and moving the steering right to left. No longer an issue there.
Had the front end checked yesterday and all was ok. I can only narrow it down to maybe a dust cover rub on rotor, loose caliper on bracket, or the electric steering. I replaced the brakes/rotors all around and made sure everything was tight on install. Thinking this issue is probably common on these things, so I'm throwing out the question as to what it may be here first. Thanks

Wife tells me that when she turns into a parking space slowly, she gets a popping sound from driver side. I just had the strut mounts replaced about a month prior, as I heard these are notorious for failure. That was a clunk feel/sound when parked and moving the steering right to left. No longer an issue there.
Had the front end checked yesterday and all was ok. I can only narrow it down to maybe a dust cover rub on rotor, loose caliper on bracket, or the electric steering. I replaced the brakes/rotors all around and made sure everything was tight on install. Thinking this issue is probably common on these things, so I'm throwing out the question as to what it may be here first. Thanks

Old topic with a few possibilities: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...nk-bushing-failure.419861/page-7#post-3558535

Ok try to keep up with me here:
Had this same problem. Brought it to the dealer, the claim its a rack and pinion issue. They changed it. When I got my car back they returned it with a loud hum and vibration - took it back, they said its normal. I exploded on them for a half a$$ effort. Brought it back, they found the humming and vibration was from a bad torque converter. They changed it. Got the car back and discovered it leaked oil, took it back again and let them have it for creating more problems...they discovered it was a leaking PTU. They changed it. Got the car back with my front left fended dented - brought it back to get fixed. Getting it back today, anyone betting on what will come back?

Ok try to keep up with me here:
Had this same problem. Brought it to the dealer, the claim its a rack and pinion issue. They changed it. When I got my car back they returned it with a loud hum and vibration - took it back, they said its normal. I exploded on them for a half a$$ effort. Brought it back, they found the humming and vibration was from a bad torque converter. They changed it. Got the car back and discovered it leaked oil, took it back again and let them have it for creating more problems...they discovered it was a leaking PTU. They changed it. Got the car back with my front left fended dented - brought it back to get fixed. Getting it back today, anyone betting on what will come back?

Paint won't match on the repaired fender and/or not blended well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back