Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes!

2013 rear breaks dragging sound

2013 Ford Explorer with 50k miles. Repair man says it needs new calipers, roaters and brakes. $1000. Isn't this a safety concern, I can't seem to get a good gauge on what Ford actually covers here? Have to get it fixed. Do I have to go to an authorized Ford Dealer in order to get compensated if it is covered?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fix it yourself using th OPS video instructions. My dad did mine and only thing replaced was rotors and pads. Very inexpensive.

Sorry if this is somewhere in this thread, but no time to go through it.

As of now I have no problem along these lines and rear brakes are wearing fine for 32k miles.

From the YouTube at the start of the thread it seems to be rust in the caliper that causes this. Fix is to grind out the rust where the pad fits in and put this new grease/lube in there that is supposed to keep the rust from coming back.

Was there a TSB on this and did I hear somewhere Ford is replacing rear pads for free - and I assume fixing this problem - or is this just wishful thinking?

We took our 2012 limited in for the airbag light on. 66000 miles have premium esp.Informed the airbag has a tsb and would be covered and that right rear caliper was sticking and would also be covered. There was also a tsb for this. They replaced the caliper turned both rear rotors and installed new pads on rear all covered under esp with deductible. Even provided a Lincoln MKZ to driv from the first day. It took a week to
get the caliper but when we got it back all is well. KUDOs to Parkway Ford Winston Salem,. NC

IF YOU HAD THIS PROBLEM OCCUR, READ THIS!!

Today at 48k miles (7000 miles after the caliper hung up) I had to replace the wheel bearing on the side that the caliper hung on because it was making all sorts of ugly noises. After tearing it out I could feel the bearing grinding, and the back of it appeared as though all the grease had been overheated and pushed out. I am confident that the bearing failed because of the overheated caliper, which in turn overheated the bearing.

I would highly suggest that those who have had the problem pay attention to the noise from the back of your vehicle, and if you start to hear noise, I would suspect that the bearing has been cooked and needs to be replaced.

Replacing the bearing isn't a complicated task, but it will go much better if you remove the whole knuckle from the back of the truck before trying to get the bolts out of the bearing. You will also most likely have to pound the bearing out of the knuckle because of corrosion. Ford, in what I am sure is a cost cutting move, didn't put any anti-sieze between the aluminum knuckle and the steel bearing......I cleaned up the knuckle and used anti-sieze to keep the corrosion at bay.

Rear brakes on '12 Explorer

Just read this thread and now wondering?? I just brought my wifes Explorer in for service and one of the issues I had was the drivers side brake was dragging. You could smell it and it was hot!!!

Have my dealer replacing pads and rotors today stating that the pads are seized in the calipers. I bought the vehicle as a CPO and they showed me as part of the certification they had replaced rear pads and rotors when the vehicle had 20K on it. I thought that was odd, but wasn't aware of the dragging issue at the time. Now at 32K I find myself having to replace rear pads and rotors again. While the vehicle is still under the 12/12K CPO warranty, the dealer says they have to charge me $438 for pads and rotors. I told them that was BS especially knowing now that they have a problem with the rear brakes. Find it disappointing that this is known issue and they claim ignorance about it.

Have my dealer replacing pads and rotors today stating that the pads are seized in the calipers. I bought the vehicle as a CPO and they showed me as part of the certification they had replaced rear pads and rotors when the vehicle had 20K on it. I thought that was odd, but wasn't aware of the dragging issue at the time. Now at 32K I find myself having to replace rear pads and rotors again. While the vehicle is still under the 12/12K CPO warranty, the dealer says they have to charge me $438 for pads and rotors. I told them that was BS especially knowing now that they have a problem with the rear brakes. Find it disappointing that this is known issue and they claim ignorance about it.
Check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3325082&postcount=1

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Dealer wouldn't honor the free pads offer, but they did knock $100 off the price to replace rear pads and rotors. The issue is that the dealer that did the work for me today, is not the dealer I bought the CPO Explorer from (They're not conveniently located for me to use for service). The dealer that did the work has no proof that the CPO dealer actually replaced the rear pads and rotors to certify it and it's not listed under the vehicle history. When I bought the car the CPO checklist did state new pads and rotors were done, and I know I had requested a copy of it at the time, but cannot locate it. Will have to see if I can get a copy and will continue to pursue some sort of reimbursement.

Frustrated because original front pads still have plenty of meat on them, but here I am on my second replacements for the rear "but there is no problem that we (Ford) know(s) of". The dealer today did even point out how they glommed anti-seize on the clips to help prolong the life of the new pads.

Thanks Peter.

Dealer wouldn't honor the free pads offer, but they did knock $100 off the price to replace rear pads and rotors. The issue is that the dealer that did the work for me today, is not the dealer I bought the CPO Explorer from (They're not conveniently located for me to use for service). The dealer that did the work has no proof that the CPO dealer actually replaced the rear pads and rotors to certify it and it's not listed under the vehicle history. When I bought the car the CPO checklist did state new pads and rotors were done, and I know I had requested a copy of it at the time, but cannot locate it. Will have to see if I can get a copy and will continue to pursue some sort of reimbursement.

Frustrated because original front pads still have plenty of meat on them, but here I am on my second replacements for the rear "but there is no problem that we (Ford) know(s) of". The dealer today did even point out how they glommed anti-seize on the clips to help prolong the life of the new pads.

The anti-seize helps a bit. But I need to go back in and perform surgery (again) on the rear brakes this weekend. Coming up on 52K.

Hello everyone. We just purchased a used 2014 explorer base model today with 31k miles. We drove half an hour home mainly highway and when we got home the rear driver brakes were smoking. I found this thread tonight after doing some research. My question is will ford cover this under bumper to bumper? I'm kind of miffed since we literally just signed the papers at 530 for this explorer. Thank you! Also who is the ford rep on this forum? I also own a 2013 focus st and the ford rep on that sight has been very helpful

Hello everyone. We just purchased a used 2014 explorer base model today with 31k miles. We drove half an hour home mainly highway and when we got home the rear driver brakes were smoking. I found this thread tonight after doing some research. My question is will ford cover this under bumper to bumper? I'm kind of miffed since we literally just signed the papers at 530 for this explorer. Thank you! Also who is the ford rep on this forum? I also own a 2013 focus st and the ford rep on that sight has been very helpful
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The FordService rep here is Tricia and for the In Vehicle Technology (IVT) sub forum it is Rebecca, FordIVTteam.

Peter

[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] would you be able to help me out with this? Purchased the 2014 explorer yesterday (31000 miles) and my rear driver brakes were smoking after driving home half an hour highway. The pads look ok so i want to nip this in the butt before it gets bad. I always took my focus st to sunset ford and they have been great.

Thanks Peter.

Dealer wouldn't honor the free pads offer, but they did knock $100 off the price to replace rear pads and rotors...
Thanks for the update, katkateris.

I recommend keeping your original receipt and speaking with your dealer in regards to alternatives of possible reimbursement.
Keep an eye on it, and I’ll be here if you need me! :)

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The FordService rep here is Tricia and for the In Vehicle Technology (IVT) sub forum it is Rebecca, FordIVTteam.

Peter
peterk9,

Thanks for the mention, and enjoy the holiday! :thumbsup:

[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] would you be able to help me out with this? Purchased the 2014 explorer yesterday (31000 miles) and my rear driver brakes were smoking after driving home half an hour highway...
Welcome to the community, sullyman86! :D

Please make an appointment at the dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist!

Tricia

I recommend keeping your original receipt and speaking with your dealer in regards to alternatives of possible reimbursement.

peterk9,

Thanks for the mention, and enjoy the holiday! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the community, sullyman86! :D

Please make an appointment at the dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist!

Tricia

Ok, i created an appoinment at sunset Ford for wednesday at 10am but would like one sooner since this is dangerous in my opinion. Thanks [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]

Ok, i created an appoinment at sunset Ford for wednesday at 10am but would like one sooner since this is dangerous in my opinion. Thanks [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]
sullyman86,

Please PM your full name, VIN, current mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll get this escalated! :)

Tricia

dam dealer! I had the Ex in for service on Tuesday and mentioned that the rear brakes were squealing a little. the dam SA said that is normal for the explorer and would not even write it up to have it checked. ill be sure to get a new SA. or a new dealer or a new brand

dam dealer! I had the Ex in for service on Tuesday and mentioned that the rear brakes were squealing a little. the dam SA said that is normal for the explorer and would not even write it up to have it checked. ill be sure to get a new SA. or a new dealer or a new brand

Normal as in broken.

Welcome to the neighborhood, theisgroup! :D

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. Have you considered taking your vehicle to another Ford Dealer for a second opinion? Also, is your Explorer still experiencing this symptom? If so, please (private message) PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best contact number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist!

Tricia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tricia

Tricia - Seeking some assistance on this. I was going back and forth with Ford Customer Service and they asked that I contact the dealer that performed the work. I've provided the dealer with all the documentation to make my argument which I did not have at the time the work was done. The Service Manager at Mahwah Ford (NJ) claims he sent this up the Ford ladder to a woman named Angela, however Angela is apparently not responding (if she even exists) and he will not put me in touch with her directly. He has now asked me to contact Ford customer service again. Seems like I'm getting the run around and I'm not just going to walk away from shelling out money to replace rear pads and rotors after only getting 11K out of them. This thread is evidence that there is a problem and how Ford can let a possible safety issue like this go is troubling.

Back