whats this | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats this

robdreyes

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt 5.0
can anybody tell me what these black boxes are???

20150803_212740.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look like evap canisters.

Well in that pic they look like Ford wind chimes. lol

Yep, evap canisters that are mounted on a plate just above the spare tire. The mounting plate is known to rust out - and from the look of things that's what's happened. So someone bungee'd them up out of the way. Not sure if the mounting plate is even available anymore as a part so it looks like a salvage yard would be your best bet for a replacement. Or, if the bungees are holding, leave 'em there. Might throw a code tho.

Better attend to those shackles.

Better attend to those shackles.
Glad Flash mentioned that. Didn't want to go off topic, but those ARE a safety issue and appear ready to fail. :eek:

lol look's exactly like my 96. I just let my EVAP chill on top of my spare tire. The shelf is virtually all the way rotted away. My shackles looked about the same too. As said change those spring shackles. I'd be nervous to drive that truck with shackles like that.

id worry more about the rust than those boxes but yeah those are the evap canisters :eek:

there's a little car on your rust

Baaa you guys worry too much. Typical rust belt vehicle. If it's still rolling keep on truckin and ignore the pieces falling off. That's what I do at least. As long as your emissions pass here in the dirty Jerz they turn a blind eye to everything else.

None working brake lights, turn signals, rusty garbage that shouldn't be on the road. Doen't matter. Long as you're not polluting the already crappy air you're good. It's pretty ricidulous actually. I went through inspection and left a puddle of brake fluid leaking from my rear line on the inspection floor and got a sticker lol. Granted I don't think they saw it until I left but still.

Baaa you guys worry too much. Typical rust belt vehicle. If it's still rolling keep on truckin and ignore the pieces falling off. That's what I do at least. As long as your emissions pass here in the dirty Jerz they turn a blind eye to everything else.

None working brake lights, turn signals, rusty garbage that shouldn't be on the road. Doen't matter. Long as you're not polluting the already crappy air you're good. It's pretty ricidulous actually. I went through inspection and left a puddle of brake fluid leaking from my rear line on the inspection floor and got a sticker lol. Granted I don't think they saw it until I left but still.

So, 1997 XLTRollover, how did you get your handle?

I fixed mine by getting AAA with 100 mile tow range. :)

Huh? :scratch:
As said change those spring shackles. I'd be nervous to drive that truck with shackles like that.

Originally Posted by 1997XLTRollover <--- :roll:
Baaa you guys worry too much. Typical rust belt vehicle.
If it's still rolling keep on truckin and ignore the pieces falling off. That's what I do at least.

Those spring shackles are nowhere near ready to fail. There's nothing there that isn't completely typical of a rust-belt vehicle. But that bungee-attached evap canister must rattle like mad on every little bump.

lol. ya, i noticed a bit of rust. shackles are due to be here tomorrow. i hope they arent to tough to get out.

highly probability that you'll be cutting the bolt for those shackles out. And then chiseling the bushing out of the spring pack.

So glad cars don't rust where I live.

So, 1997 XLTRollover, how did you get your handle?

Handle? I'm sure this is ripping on me in some way but it's over my head. Which I guess makes it that much better of a burn lol

I fixed mine by getting AAA with 100 mile tow range. :)

Bingo!

Huh? :scratch:

In all seriousness guys the brake fluid leak I noticed as I was coming out of inspection. It blew at the station when they hammered the brakes and left a puddle on their floor they didn't notice until I left with a passing sticker. I got that fixed right away lol. Same with my spring shackles, I parked my truck as soon as I noticed them. I joke but I do actually maintain my vehicles. That's 2 screen name comments just this week so just wanted to clear that up haha.

I guess I'll give the story of how I flipped my old 97 since everyone seems to keep ripping on the screen name; it's pretty embarrassing actually but I have no shame. It was a nice 19 year old lazy day of my life when I had to pull a U-turn on a back road. So swing the truck, road is to narrow but it's ok, I have an Explorer. I get the front tire in the weeds a bit on the side of the road and little did I know, the tall weeds were covering a drainage pipe. This in turn caused my front tire to drop down about 2-3 feet and of course set off my air bags as the frame slammed into the pipe.

Guess what happened then? Physics took over. I thought the ride was over, but slowly, and I mean ever so slowly the back of the truck decided to outweigh the front and it rolled right over itself 2 full times down the embankment. Was still running too when it landed. Needless to say the truck was pretty banged up, still ran and drove but the entire roof was tweaked so that was that. This was about 10 years ago and I've since then grown smarter in my old age and actually do a full K-turn now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, I can only pray that they come out that easy.

Does anyone around there use fish oil or lanolin to prevent rust.

We don't salt the roads here but a lot of 4wds drive on the beach and they don't all fall apart.

Back