• Register Today It's free!

Good fitting catback for 01 5.0

twiford

Reaction score
City, State
lamar south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Hi,I'm looking for a good fitting catback for my 2001 v8 explorer so far I've found two from gibson and flowmaster. Anyone used either kit without fitment issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the flowmaster kit.fit great easy to install and sounds very nice.

where did you buy it from? Where does the exhaust tip come out at?

I took my 01 5L Mountaineer to a local muffler shop, they cut out the secondary cats, put in a Flowmaster, and replaced the resonator with a section of pipe for less than $300. Old Merc is still slower than my Honda CRV, burns twice as much gas as the Honda, but it sure sounds a hell of lot nicer!!!

Taking the Merc on a 6 hour drive tomorrow, pulling my 4 wheeler on a trailer (my buddies would never let me live it down if I showed up pulling my ATV with my 'beepbeep' Honda Man-Car). We shall see how much I like the louder exhaust after the trip.....

I got it of Amazon . The tip exits behind the rear passenger tire, it has the classic flowmaster sound it is a little louder then described.

I bought the Gibson SS rear exit cat back for my 98 and it fit like crap. Had to bust out the MIG to shorten the muffler hangers after I got the oxy/acetylene out and twisted them from the side to the back.:thumbdwn:

By shortening the hangers we got the system to tuck up under like it should of but the tail still hit the swaybar end link and the body at the exit.

I fired up the band saw and cut a pie shaped wedge out from the shock area and bent it together and welded it together with SS wire to get it to clear the end link and the body, but I still fired up the torch again and put a nice clearance dent at the end link to make sure it never makes a sound.

Now that it's on I do like the sound and it seems like it's good quality SS so it should last a long time but getting it to fit right can be a PITA.

That's why I went with the flowmaster kit, it fit perfectly.I'm very happy with the kit.

Back