94 explorer trailer wiring gone bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer trailer wiring gone bad

shockwave1177

Reaction score
City, State
N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
hey guys Im having a wiring problem, after reading all the bad things about the trailer (plug and play wiring), I am trying to hard wire the trailer lights. I cut the female adaptor off the trailer wiring harness from under the right side of my 94 explorer. The harness had one white wire (with a light test found to be the ground) witch I drilled a hole in the frame and cleaned and attached. It had 3 black wires that all had power depending on what signal or brake you had turned on. The last 3 were a yellow, brown and green wire. All 3 matched up to the color code wire on the universal wiring harness. I attached the 6 (3 from truck, 3 from wiring harness) same color wires to the proper power wire and a loud beeping out of what looks to be a fuse in the back left side of my explorer. I cant read the wiring biagram in my repair manuel, never learned how to read those. :rolleyes: To me (and Im buy no means a wiring expert) It sems that this connection should work with no touble. The beeping or buzzing is to loud to look past. If anyone has info. I would like to know what Im doin wrong. thanks:exp:

Same problem!

Hey, I am having this exact same problem! Please help. Anyone? Did you ever figure out what was wrong? All the lights work perfectly, just a really loud buzzing sound from the relays in where the jack is stored.

Thanks!

Does the buzzing happen all the time? When the truck is on/off? With a trailer connected? The computer for the 4X4 system is in the back on the Driver's side of 1st gen Explorers. It is possible that it is making the noise. Can you still select 4X4 modes?

The trailer wiring on my 94 XLT was done by a Uhaul center before I got the truck. If I recall correctly, they used those clamp-on splicers to connect into the vehicle wiring near the Driver's side tail light.

Edit: Found this video, I know it is for a plug-in harness, maybe it will provide some insight: http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-trailer-wiring-1994-ford-explorer-118324.aspx

There are several relays in the left rear quarter under the plastic that are for the tow package. Is that where you noise is coming from? If you grounded the already grounded ground wire to the frame and did not run it to the trailer, that might be your problem.

Back