Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I bet your Hertz speakers are underpowered through the HU resulting in a lack of bass. I think you will only use your speakers to their full potential by adding an aftermarket amp with sufficient power (pls correct me if Im wrong)..

I would agree. Depending on the ohm rating of the Hertz speakers, you could have lost half the power to the front speakers. Bass is the first thing that comes (or goes) when you increase (or decrease) power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would agree. Depending on the ohm rating of the Hertz speakers, you could have lost half the power to the front speakers. Bass is the first thing that comes (or goes) when you increase (or decrease) power.

probably not an ohm mismatch problem (95% of all non-subwoofers are 4ohm), it's more of a sensitivity issue. If the sensitivity is lower than the stock speakers, it will take more power to drive them.

I replaced the front 6x9 with Infinity Reference, they're 94db and louder than the Ford factory speakers.

probably not an ohm mismatch problem (95% of all non-subwoofers are 4ohm), it's more of a sensitivity issue. If the sensitivity is lower than the stock speakers, it will take more power to drive them.

I replaced the front 6x9 with Infinity Reference, they're 94db and louder than the Ford factory speakers.

Ok. I am going to try a different brand of speaker too and see if that is easier than hooking up the amp.

Thank you!

Ok. I am going to try a different brand of speaker too and see if that is easier than hooking up the amp.

Thank you!

If it is the ohm-load and the power causing the difference, a different brand of speaker will not help unless it has a much lower ohm rating. I'd bet money you are losing out on power and you will need that new, external amp instead of the head unit power.

If it is the ohm-load and the power causing the difference, a different brand of speaker will not help unless it has a much lower ohm rating. I'd bet money you are losing out on power and you will need that new, external amp instead of the head unit power.

Figures. I hope not but you have a good point!

Hertz DCX 690

Like 95% of the speakers on the market outside of subs, those are 4ohm. Hertz rates those at 93 dB sensitivity, but if you're experiencing a loss in volume, I doubt they are as sensitive as the rating.

Don't listen to all this other nonsense about ohm mismatch, if anything the only full-range speakers you can get besides 4ohm would be 2ohm, and they're not common. I can't find a single 8 ohm coaxial on the market.

Like 95% of the speakers on the market outside of subs, those are 4ohm. Hertz rates those at 93 dB sensitivity, but if you're experiencing a loss in volume, I doubt they are as sensitive as the rating.

Don't listen to all this other nonsense about ohm mismatch, if anything the only full-range speakers you can get besides 4ohm would be 2ohm, and they're not common. I can't find a single 8 ohm coaxial on the market.

Ok. Thanks for the information. I am going to try the ESX model this week and hope to hear the difference. The mid and high are pumping out great ok this DSX model, just missing the bass I had from the stock speakers.

One last thing to check, are you absolutely sure you are not 180* out of phase on the fronts? If one speaker is out of phase, it will really hurt bass response..

You can always verify phase by taking an AA battery to the stock speakers, make a note when the speaker moves out, whichever terminal is touching the + at that point is + and vice-versa. Make sure you have the aftermarket speakers matched.

Most aftermarket speakers will have less bass than the the OEM ones. While OEM speakers don't sound as dynamic as aftermarket, they're usually engineered to provide a lot of mid bass at the expense of clarity and volume. What you're experiencing is normal. Other than adding more power you could use some sound deadening material and mount them to the doors using MDF baffles. This will help quite a bit.

Tony

Mismatch ohm non-sense? Apparently you aren't aware that many of the OEM car speakers are 2-ohm. In fact the subwoofer in the Explorer is a DVC 1-ohm driver. OEM's use lower ohm speakers all the time.

It's simple science. If you are expecting the same output from an amp that is driving 2-ohm speakers and you start pushing 4-ohm loads, you WILL see a decrease in power. An amp with 12 VDC supplied can apply 8.2 watts into 8-ohms speakers but 32.8 watts into 2-ohm speakers.

Mismatch ohm non-sense? Apparently you aren't aware that many of the OEM car speakers are 2-ohm. In fact the subwoofer in the Explorer is a DVC 1-ohm driver. OEM's use lower ohm speakers all the time.

It's simple science. If you are expecting the same output from an amp that is driving 2-ohm speakers and you start pushing 4-ohm loads, you WILL see a decrease in power. An amp with 12 VDC supplied can apply 8.2 watts into 8-ohms speakers but 32.8 watts into 2-ohm speakers.

Now I remember why I don't hang around here much. Did you miss the part where I said NON-subwoofers being 4 ohm?

Now I remember why I don't hang around here much. Did you miss the part where I said NON-subwoofers being 4 ohm?

Nope. Didn't misread it. Did I misread the part where you said the mismatch ohm thing is non-sense? You essentially stated that the decrease in volume or bass was not impacted at all by the fact the Ford amp driving a high ohm speaker would output less power. I am trying to prove it very well could be the reason, or one of the reasons.

Well I got the one speaker out tonight. It was wired properly, but I didn't make it to the dealer in time to try a different speaker. Looks like I either live with it or buy a new 2016!! Thanks for all the information. I am still going to try an amp and a different set of speakers hopefully next week.

Well I got the one speaker out tonight. It was wired properly, but I didn't make it to the dealer in time to try a different speaker. Looks like I either live with it or buy a new 2016!! Thanks for all the information. I am still going to try an amp and a different set of speakers hopefully next week.

If you are worried about phase, you will need to check both speakers. The one speaker you didn't check could be the one wired out of phase. However, it has been my experience that normally automotive speakers wired out of phase don't have the decrease in both volume and bass like you are describing. If I were a betting man I would guess both speakers are wired correctly and you are simply finding the higher ohm speakers are pulling less juice from the OEM amp and that is causing the decrease in performance. I think if you are able to get a quality amp in there that works well with 4-ohm loads, you will get your performance back. I'd also recommend looking into at least a 4 channel amp to drive both the front and the second row speakers. If you only power one of the other, you can quickly find yourself with a unbalanced fade, which is also annoying.

deewan,
Zach7 replaced his front door speakers ... factory 4 ohm speakers, with Hertz DCX 690 4 ohm speakers. He didn't mention replacing factory 2 ohm subs, so no ohm mismatch as you are suggesting. Hertz DCX 690 speaker freq response is 45 - 21k Hz, so not great bass speakers. That may be part of the problem.

Zach7,
I would suggest replacing the Hertz speakers with something like Pioneer TS-A6995R . They're very good performing speakers and cheap for the performance you get. They are 4 ohm, have a 92 dB sensitivity, and freq response is 27 - 37k Hz - MUCH better for Bass than your Hertz speakers (they will also handle more power, if you decide to go with an aftermarket Amp)

To hear the difference between 45 Hz and 27 Hz (the lowest frequencies these speakers can reproduce) Click Here to download test tones in any frequency. (use headphones to listen instead of PC speakers)

deewan,
Zach7 replaced his front door speakers ... factory 4 ohm speakers, with Hertz DCX 690 4 ohm speakers. He didn't mention replacing factory 2 ohm subs, so no ohm mismatch as you are suggesting. Hertz DCX 690 speaker freq response is 45 - 21k Hz, so not great bass speakers. That may be part of the problem.

Zach7,
I would suggest replacing the Hertz speakers with something like Pioneer TS-A6995R . They're very good performing speakers and cheap for the performance you get. They are 4 ohm, have a 92 dB sensitivity, and freq response is 27 - 37k Hz - MUCH better for Bass than your Hertz speakers (they will also handle more power, if you decide to go with an aftermarket Amp)

To hear the difference between 45 Hz and 27 Hz (the lowest frequencies these speakers can reproduce) Click Here to download test tones in any frequency. (use headphones to listen instead of PC speakers)

You don't need tiny little door speakers going that low. First, our door speakers are probably low-passed anyway. Second, that's what the subwoofer is for.

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tony,

6 x 9 door speakers are not "tiny little" door speakers. The factory Sub is only 8", similar in volume to 6 x 9 (I know, dedicated woofer has better low range response, but has about the same air volume movement as 6 x 9), and Zach7 never mentioned if he had the premium audio with Subwoofer.
He may not have it and he may be trying to get as much performance from the door speakers as he can.

The speakers I suggested are very good full range speakers that will expand the frequency response range over the factory door speakers and the aftermarket ones he had installed, and about which he complained about the bass.

Back