Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't do anything but take it to the dealership. Warranty for Safety Restraint system should be 5 years/60,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't do anything but take it to the dealership. Warranty for Safety Restraint system should be 5 years/60,000 miles.

Thank you so much! I didn't know that. I'll take it in immediately.

Does the air bag light flash a code? I know the older ones flashed a code number.

Code 27 would be two flashes an pause then 7 flashes pause then repeat.

Which connector originally had to be fixed?

I'm not sure which connector but they said a connection in the airbag system was loose and so they fixed it. I don't know if the fix was just plugging it back. Also, the airbag light just stays on, no flash.

EDIT: Okay, so I just came back from the dealership. They say I may have to pay for a diagnostics fee of $125 dollars if the problem is not covered by the safety restraint system warranty... Oddly, the airbag light didn't come on when I was going to the dealership. Hoping it stays that way for my trip to Florida.

I'm not sure which connector but they said a connection in the airbag system was loose and so they fixed it. I don't know if the fix was just plugging it back. Also, the airbag light just stays on, no flash.

EDIT: Okay, so I just came back from the dealership. They say I may have to pay for a diagnostics fee of $125 dollars if the problem is not covered by the safety restraint system warranty... Oddly, the airbag light didn't come on when I was going to the dealership. Hoping it stays that way for my trip to Florida.

You can download Forscan for free and use it to see most of the extended Ford Trouble codes. This will tell you if the code is present, but hasn't met the requirement to trip the CEL or Airbag Light.

Forscan does require a decent OBDII adapter (not a cheap Chinese clone). The one I use is OBDLink MX Bluetooth and it works great.

Finally Fixed?

We recieved our Explorer back after being worked on for over 3 months and on 3 separate service appointments. They replaced the entire aigbag module and due to the make up of this module it required special shipping/handling. The dealership was very good to work with and I am sure did what they could do to make this repair quickly and correctly. It was a pain staying informed of the long repair. One week and no airbag light, so happy.

After keeping the vehicle for such a long, long time, Ford could have repaired some of the lost goodwill with us by washing the car, changing the oil, a $500 voucher towards a future Ford vehicle, etc...Instead, nothing...to include an apology for the inconvenience. The service department acted like this was the norm! Good luck to the rest of you with Airbag light issues.

I'm not aware of one. I know if there is one it has not been incorporated with the 2011 + TSB thread. One thing I did find out while searching the Internet is that airbag light issues go back to the 1990's. Most of those concerned a flashing light.

Peter

I just got our 2012 Limited back for this issue. There is note on invoice where OASIS was checked and TSB 12-5-11 was found to apply grease to connectors and this did not work. Wires were checked with ohm meter and jumper was installed in a pretensioner circuit. That has solved the problem for now. They kept it for about a week and ad it bock about 2 weeks now. It was covered under Ford esp.

I've brought my 2011 Explorer XLT (28K Miles) to a local dealership here in Irving, TX. The same TSB 12-5-11 was performed and I hope it'll be a permanent fix.

I've paid $100 (deductible) on my MPP. Ford should have shouldered all the expenses for this repair, right? The service advisor told me that even if it's still covered by the 5yr SRS warranty since it's not the actual airbag that has the problem it'll be treated as a normal repair (and use the MPP).

I've brought my 2011 Explorer XLT (28K Miles) to a local dealership here in Irving, TX. The same TSB 12-5-11 was performed and I hope it'll be a permanent fix.

I've paid $100 (deductible) on my MPP. Ford should have shouldered all the expenses for this repair, right? The service advisor told me that even if it's still covered by the 5yr SRS warranty since it's not the actual airbag that has the problem it'll be treated as a normal repair (and use the MPP).

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Peter

Just want to share my story... I have taken my Explorer in 5 times since November, and its been the same story. Light go off for 3-5 weeks and then comes back on. A month ago they said they ordered a new wire harness and changed it out the issue belt in the 2nd row. Well guess what, it came on again and when I took it in they said they have to order another one for the opposite side but this time they will change out all the wireing for those back airbag seat belts. I will take it back in tomorrow as they are getting all the parts today but I will check back in to keep everone informed.

Airbag warning

Took my 2012 Ford Explorer in for 2 recalls. But my airbag light had came on and stayed on for over a week. I read in previous post that that grease to a pre tensioner and this is what was wrong with mine as well no charge I was told there was a bulletin out there that took care of the charge. Just a FYI

Air bag connectors

Air bag light came on and stayed. Carried to dealer and said he applied grease to to two connectors C3102 and C210 in a pre tensioner where are these connectors does anybody know. Thanks for the help

Air bag light came on and stayed. Carried to dealer and said he applied grease to to two connectors C3102 and C210 in a pre tensioner where are these connectors does anybody know. Thanks for the help
Check out post 131. Not sure about the pre-tensioner.

Peter

Don't know about the pretensioner, but the most common connectors causing problems are the big gray ones centered under the seat.

They say adding grease solved this problem I wonder for how long

my airbag light has started to come on in the last 3 weeks. from what I can tell, it has something to do with the 2nd row seats. when I have them up(propped up like to get into the third row), the airbag light never comes on. when the seats are in their normal position, I have had the airbag light come on and stay on for a couple day to over a week.

are the second row airbag seat belts connected to the srs system? I noticed a sensor in the floor of the explorer where the seats latch to the floor. one for each seat. it seams those are push button sensors. I wonder if they trigger the 3nd row seat belt airbags. I can figure out anything else they would do, there does not seam to be a sensor to let you know the seats are not latch correctly.

got an appointment schedule for Tuesday morning. will update when I know more. and will start the documentation for a lemon just in case this becomes and issue.
I may have the opportunity to swap out for a 2016 at no cost, may have to exercise that option, if this becomes a problem.

....... I have had the airbag light come on and stay on for a couple day to over a week.
Just a reminder that when the airbag light is on, the airbag system is non functional.

Peter

Just a reminder that when the airbag light is on, the airbag system is non functional.

Peter

thanks peter. I have been on the forum a couple month, just first time poster. I have seen you on several thread and have been helpful.

there is good in your reply. if I get into an accident, then I don't have to replace the airbags. they are pretty expensive. :(
btw, I grew up in guelph

BTW, my 2015 Sport has 3800 miles. barely out of break in period

thanks peter. I have been on the forum a couple month, just first time poster. I have seen you on several thread and have been helpful.

there is good in your reply. if I get into an accident, then I don't have to replace the airbags. they are pretty expensive. :(
btw, I grew up in guelph

BTW, my 2015 Sport has 3800 miles. barely out of break in period
After 1.5 years I'm just over 4000 miles.;) I grew up in London, ON.
Hope the dealer is able to fix the problem.

Peter

dang airbag light went out yesterday after I put the 2nd row seats down yesterday. so drove it to the dealer for the appointment, but no airbag light. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Airbag is Light Back!!

The airbag light fix lasted less than 3 months...which is less than the Ford Service department had the vehicle in repair [over 4 months]. They replaced wire harnesses and the entire module. Will bring it back to dealer tomorrow. Additionally, a warning occassionally comes on stating the vehicle is not in park, when is defintiely in park. Anybody get this warning?

--I know Ford representatives monitor these posts, is there any way we can get a vehicle exchange?!? We have owned this vehicle for roughly 2 years [32K] and it has been in the shop for about 1/6 of that time! Ridiculous!! Will Ford entertain such a request without a lawyer or do I need a lawyer to pursue this option.

Thanks.
Very Dissatisfied

Back