2015 or 2016 Ford Explorer. Need your opinion please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 or 2016 Ford Explorer. Need your opinion please!

lakersfreak

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Limite
Hi everyone. Let me begin by stating that I love Ford! Currently I have a 2013 5.0 Mustang and my wife has a 2008 Ford Edge Limited. It's time for a new car for her and she has decided once again to buy a Ford and really likes the Explorer!

I have two scenarios;

1) a 2015 Explorer Limited (MSRP about $45,000) with 0% interest for 72 months, or

2) 2016 Explorer XLT but with leather and navigation (MSRP about $40,000) with 3.9% interest for 72 months.

Payments are almost identical based on the financing difference. Also, I know I can get a really good deal on the 2015 at my local dealer since they're trying to get rid of them....

I want your opinion. What option is better? 2015 fully loaded limited, or 2016 XLT with some upgraded options.

Also, other than the exterior front and rear bumpers I can't see any major differences between the 15 and 16. Is there something I'm missing? What, if any, are the major differences between the two? Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love Ford as well. Nothing else will sit in my driveway that isn't a German vehicle.

I gotta go with the 0% for 72 there. Check Truecar to see what those have sold for and get them down as far as possible - you will definitely have more bargaining power on the 2015. I think you will really like the luxury of the Limited with the Park Assist and Adaptive cruise.

This is from a proud owner of a 2016 Sport - but I fell in love with the front end and LED lighting on the '16.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer the 2015 look. I think the fully loaded Limit is a better value - more options and some features may be preferable, such as the Limited's HID lights vs the 2016 LED/Halogen lights. I also like the heated/cooling seats, heated steering wheel for the extreme winter months.

I think you should make a list of the options side by side and check off your preferences. You really can't go wrong with either.

The 2015 is a very nice vehicle and the 0% is really enticing. If you prefer the nose and tail of the 2016 vs the 2015 then I would go with the 2016. I traded in my 2014 Sport for a 2016 Sport. To tell you the truth the 2015 has a more stout aggressive stance to me. The buttons on the dash of the 2016 are better than the touch screen controls on the 2015 models. Other than that I think it comes down to how you feel about the looks.

About a month ago I went into our Ford dealer thinking I was going to order a 2016 to get all the items I wanted. I got there and directly compared the 16 to the 15 and in my opinion liked the look of the 15 front end actually better than the 16. My wife and I found a 15 that had just about everything we wanted on it and it was even the right color. So we came home with a new 15. Both vehicles are great and like others have mentioned it just comes down to basically the style of the front end. The back end almost looks the same other than the tail lights stick out on the 16 whereas the 15 are rounded even with the body. Myself I liked the round projector beam headlights on my 15. But that's my own personal taste. Whatever one you get have fun and enjoy it. We got better rebates on the 15 also.

If it comes down to financing...look into becoming a member of a credit union. Cost me $5 and I was able to get 1.9% on my '16. Once a vehicle changes/upgrades a body and features, that's what I want.
Oh, and I am LOVING my '16 Limited, white platinum, with 301a, moonroof, towing, 2nd row buckets with console, 20" polished wheels and now whole vehicle ceramic tint.
Weathertech mats should be in soon. And I plan to change out the fogs, puddle and license plate light with LEDs.
It is a pleasure to drive.

I recently was on vacation where I had a '15 Lincoln MKT and my brother had a '16 Explorer Limited. I own a '14 Explorer Limited.

I didnt drive the '16 very much but I honestly couldnt tell much difference except the buttons on the center stack. Even on the outside the changes are very subtle IMHO.

If I could get a smoking deal on the '15 and the center console buttons were not a deal breaker then I would get the '15 Limited.

No disrespect to any MKT owner but I liked that the least of the 3. The center stack controls are not as user friendly and removing the center storage bin was a mistake IMHO. Having said that the rear center console cooler was cool :)

I recently was on vacation where I had a '15 Lincoln MKT and my brother had a '16 Explorer Limited. I own a '14 Explorer Limited.

I didnt drive the '16 very much but I honestly couldnt tell much difference except the buttons on the center stack. Even on the outside the changes are very subtle IMHO.

If I could get a smoking deal on the '15 and the center console buttons were not a deal breaker then I would get the '15 Limited.

No disrespect to any MKT owner but I liked that the least of the 3. The center stack controls are not as user friendly and removing the center storage bin was a mistake IMHO. Having said that the rear center console cooler was cool :)

Can you explain why you think the center console buttons may be a deal breaker? Whats the differences between 15 and 16?

:)

Why? We really like the center console on our '15 limited, I think it works really well, its simple to operate and it looks great.

For some reason my message didnt come across like I wanted it to :)

If having the buttons on the center stack is important to you then go with the '16. If you dont care between the center stack buttons on the'16 vs the touch buttons on the '15 then I would go with the '15 if you are getting a great deal.

I have a '14 limited and from what I could see visually on the '16 limited would not trade up at this time.

Maybe SYNC3 in a few years will make it worthwhile ;)

So do the touch buttons work ok on the 15's, or are they known to be faulty?

2016 anything else will just feel like last years model, which it now is.

If you're going to finance a big chunk of it then I'd say go with the 15'. You will not only get more options for your money, you will also get $1000 cash back plus the dealer should also give you a better deal. Combine that with the 0% financing (again, if you are putting down minimal money and financing most of it) and you will save a bunch over the 16'. I also don't think the differences are that big of a deal (unless you wanted a Platinum).

The one negative is that you start out by eating a full year of depreciation since it is a 15' but if you're keeping the car a while it should be a big deal. Explorers also hold their value better than most so that number should be negligible (especially with all the other savings).

Personally the 2015 is a no brainier for any model.

I just hate the new grille and fog lights on the 2016's ive loved the 2011-2015 front ends ever since i first saw one way back when, and when I went to buy mine, I picked out a 2015 base even though I could have gotten a 2016 with more options for the same price, simply because the front end is so ugly on the 2016.

I think the 2016 gets better gas millage if that's important to you, and they come with a few more standard features in 2016 then 2015 had.

For the same (or nearly the same) money I would go for the one with the most options. You'll get to enjoy those options while you drive it, and get a little more money back at trade in time.
Also, the price of used vehicles is based more on mileage than model year, so buying a 16 versus 15 isn't going to make much difference.

TW

Another thing to consider is your insurance. I was pleasantly surprised that my insurance (progressive) went down about $37/month with the '16 Limited with 301a package vs my '10 Cadillac SRX. I was shocked actually. The insurance told me with all the new safety features of some of these newer vehicles that many people's insurance is going down. Not sure how much a '15 with 301a vs '16 300a will differ. But I can tell you this, the blind spot detection has already saved me once!!! Maybe you can get some VIN#s and find out from you insurance the price differences. Then you might be able to splurge on a '16 Limited with 301a!

Yeah, on insurance I went from a 2011 KIA Optima SX (turbo) to my 13 XLT 4x4 and was a $6 difference A YEAR!!

So do the touch buttons work ok on the 15's, or are they known to be faulty?

I just got a 15 and the touch buttons work fine on mine. I don't have the Sony audio system. The only thing I notice about the touch buttons is that they are really sensitive to touch. But once you get used to it I don't see any problem.

2016 is the way to go.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Toxdoc. Save almost $40.00 with that saving you can put approx 2000 more in extras....

Back