Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So can you buy f150 leafs and they will fit right where the explorer leaf hangers are? This will give you up to 3.5 inches lift? What do you do to the front end? Can you put both f150 coils in the front and f150 leafs in the rear and get this lift? Or do you have to put f150 coil spacers in the front with your stock explorers coils?

I got a 3 inch body lift in my 91 on 33's but am looking for a cheap way to get a bit more lift in my suspension.

Not quite. The main top leaf from the F150 is too long to fit under the Explorer, but it's the correct width. You have to retain your Explorer main leaf and then add the F150 leafs (leaves?) under it.

Shawn

Problem with overload

I'm in the middle of doing this spring swap and when i got the springs from the 150 apart I found a crack from the center bolt to the edge on one of the overload springs (bottom leaf). I'm using a f150 leaf pack with 4 leafs including the overload.

Can anyone think of a problem with just using my exisisting Ex overlaod springs instead?

Should i add the third leaf(shortest) from my Ex pack to the new one to compensate for the Ex overload being shorter and having less arc?

Thanks

Thanks Shawn

Warning to others I got generic center pin bolts and because they are long i used the bolt to bring the leaf pack together rather then clamping and then adding the bolt. As a result the bolt stripped before it was tight enough and I had to cut it to get it off. When I did the second side I clamped the leafs and the bolt went tight no problem.

ryan

Just read entire thread and ive decided that this is how I will complete my x's rear lift. Great read and great info here.

today i got the leafs from a 1994 f150 single cab, step side bed. 4 leafs including the overload. they are 3" wide but they look like they will work just fine if i make the eye bushings a little more narrow, if they're a little too long to work with my shackles then ill get the warrior ones. They're in pretty good shape, and they're Eagle replacement ones that couldn't have been on the F150 for more than a year. i also got the front hangers at the same time for use on a later project and they were brand new from Ford!!! as far as i can tell, the only problem i might have with the new leafs is that the eye bolts might be a different diameter (F150 uses a larger size bolt) but i should be able to just drill the holes up another size on the shackles and hangers right?

I was about to rebuild my leaf pack ala the f150 mod, however with springs from a Sonoma since I couldn't find a decent f150 donor. The Sonoma springs have significant arch compared to the f150 pack so it should be good for a decent amount of lift (how much, who knows, gambling!) I'm currently sitting on about a 1/2" of tt in the front, will push a bit more once the rear is back in shape.

My only problem is, my existing leaf packs are super weak, and I'm concerned about the main leaf. In particular, my drivers side pack is wrapping around the second leaf a bit. Should I be concerned about breakage? I was going to cut the main leaf from the donor pack as long as possible (just enough room to prevent bottoming out on the eyelets during flex), but still, even with that support...

Imgur gallery of shots of what I'm talking about

On the flip side... I have a set of mono leafs that appear to be in good shape that were sitting in the back of explorer when I bought.. is it reasonable / sane to build a two or three leaf pack from the mono leaf and the second and third's from the sonoma pack? Would that make a tank?

Not sure. I haven't had much experience with the mono springs, but I would bet that if the arc rates are in conflict, then the tension between the leafs of the pack may cause ride issues and reduce the life of the metal.

Worst case: it is too high, too low, or rides like hell, and you pop it back off before it breaks stuff. Just remember to be safe.

I did this mod to my 92 Ex with great results! I found the used F150 rear springs already removed on cl for $50, got the 2WD F150 front spring spacers at a local pick-a-part for $5, after it settled it was slightly lower in the back still, so I got a set of 1" lift rear spring shackles off of ebay for $60 (3/8 thick and gusseted, worth the $$ for a little more structure). It looks great with 31x10.5x15s on the stock rims. The stance looks right, it rides decent, and drives down the road good. For only having $115 invested, I'm very happy with it. Thanks for the tips on how to do this.

Hey Waz, how's it going?

This is Mike from work...used to have the silver '01 Exporer Sport.

Its going well. I hope all is well with you too. You've probably seen the tan 4 door in the back row at the shop. I've only been working on it for about 8 months or so... rebuilt the broken manual trans, manual transfer case conversion, manual hubs, went thru the front axle, and of course the lift, bigger tires, and an alignment. The mechanic's car is always the last to get worked on. It's nice to finally be putting some mileage on it.

Yep, I've seen it in various stages of repair. Looks pretty good now. Sits pretty high with the new springs.

Today I saw you sitting in the lot after work on my way out...around 8pm. You probably heard my truck as I left. LOL

Wasn't real happy to be there so late.

FNG here. Any reason not to buy the Dayton 43883 from rock auto? This is 1650 lb vs factory 1250 in my 2001 mounty awd w/ 3" lift and 31" rubber.

I glean that f150 leaf will boost ride height around 3" out of the box. This might be a bit much, but this is also a 5-leaf pack, making me think I could pull #4 if i'm unhappy. Thoughts?

There are many leafs on RA for 96 f150... post your favorite choice?

Do we think the price is for 1 side or both?

Do we think the price is for 1 side or both?[/QUOTE]

Typically leaf springs are sold individually, where coil springs are sold in pairs. why this is I'm not sure. The bummer about buying brand new springs and then taking them apart is you've voided any warranty that they may have. I went with used springs for a couple of reasons. First, the cost. I got both rears used off of a '94 F150 2WD (already removed) for $50 off of cl. Second, the used springs are already relaxed some, so there is a minimal amount of settling when all is said and done, and remember that you will sacrifice some ride quality used or new. My Ex rides pretty good, but there's no mistaking it's a small truck with big springs. When I installed them, I put the right spring on the left side, and vice versa, as the F150 and the Explorer have the added weight of the driver, and the fuel tank on the left side, so swapping the springs side to side gives you a better chance of it sitting level. Just my $0.02. Good luck with the lift.

When I installed them, I put the right spring on the left side, and vice versa, as the F150 and the Explorer have the added weight of the driver, and the fuel tank on the left side, so swapping the springs side to side gives you a better chance of it sitting level. Just my $0.02.

Somehow never thought about this before! :thumbsup:

Hmm. Ok. I'll be doing some towing, but don't want to go too harsh with the onloaded ride. I thought F150 would be a bit more progressive given the light unloaded weight of the truck bed.

Rockauto also has dayton #43709, which is a 1350# leaf (vs 1250# factory). More expensive still... but maybe more likely to be a good fit? Honestly, the rear is way too soft now with the 31" tires IMO, so I worry these would still be too soft. They are a 4-leaf stack vs the 5 leaf I mentioned above, so feels like less value for more $.

I'll buy a lot of parts from the yard, but I prefer new springs. Good point on warranty though.

Some opinions on 5-leaf 1655# vs 4-leaf 1355#?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know some people have mentioned Eaton Spring in this thread and others... maybe give them a call, and see what they could do either in the parts of the springs you actually need, or some already built springs that are ready to install. (RA may still be cheaper, even if it means your'e dismantling new stuff). If nothing else, if you're planning on towing, I'd say get the heavier springs so the truck isn't "squatting to pee" the second the weight of the trailer is on it.

Back