• Register Today It's free!

Heads UP 2002 Owners!!!!

newtek007

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4X4 6 Cy
Just putting out this FYI for all of you 2002 owners. I only say this year, because this is what I have. Anyway, I was hooking up the trailer hitch to my explorer and got in and out of the truck several times to check the alignment of the ball. Put the truck in park, got out and shut the drivers door and "BOOM". Looked back to see who was shooting at me!!! My side curtain airbag deployed on the drivers side and the drivers side rear. Wow. I was speechless. REALLY!!!! Of all the crap that has broken on this truck, I didn't think anything else could happen. It did. Her are the pics.
IMG_1529_zpswyzag0ba.jpg

IMG_1528_zpsf5vcqoqs.jpg

Called the insurance company and they stated that they will not cover it because it could be normal wear and tear because of the age. I could take it to a Ford dealership and pay them to determine the cause, and then "Maybe" they might cover it if an animal built a nest in it or something. Really!!....

I can understand their position, but never the less, this really puts a bad taste in my mouth as far as insurance goes. They did say that if someone broke into my truck and it went off, then they would cover it. Moral of this story... telling the truth didn't get me anywhere. Oh well.

I did file an official complaint on carcomplaints.com and the NHTSA site along with Ford. Ford called me back this morning and stated that they would test the airbag system for free, but I would have to pay for all charges associated to remove everything to get to it.

This is just one of those moments in time where you realize that a plunger just got shoved up the ole' hinney hole and all I can do is smile and take it.

I love this truck with all of it's faults, but man.... Come on!!!! Somebody throw me a bone!!!!!!:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would keep at Ford and see if they will change their position. This is a safety related issue.

I would keep at Ford and see if they will change their position. This is a safety related issue.
I second this. What if this happened while the vehicle was in motion?

I would personally fight the insurance company too. Threaten to get a lawyer involved, there is no way that an animal caused this. If an animal damaged any wiring it would set a code and disable the system. The mentioning of a lawyer getting involved goes a long way.

Its not a collision, or theft, or fire, etc.., the insurance company is not going to cover it. Ford, however, should be taking care of this regardless of the year of manufacture. It is a safety issue as stated above. Get ahold of one of the Ford rep's on the forum and see if they can help. If not, consider getting ahold of a consumer advocate group in your area, or a product defect/liability law firm that specializes in motor vehicles.

How much for the front bumper and the front seats?

I have seen people get their insurance companies to pay for transmissions, engines and rear differentials before, and none of them were damage in an accident.

Yeah, that sounds bueno, thanks for the warning (my ex sometimes has an airbag light pop on but ford cant find anything as per why) it always stays off upon restart.

Well.... With much much sadness, I sold the Explorer today. I didn't really want to sell it, but I just can't wrap my head around wanting to ever drive this truck again with issues this drastic. I decided to cut my losses. Got $1,200 for it. And Ford was absolutely NO HELP what-so-ever. I can't blame them. I don't really think any car manufacturer is going to help someone with a vehicle from 2002. Oh well.

What ya got now? Or what are you going to get?

WTF

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you get it resolved, and Ford takes care of you.

I didn't know the Gen 3s had side airbags.

How can one check to be sure? I have a 2005 XLT.

WTF

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you get it resolved, and Ford takes care of you.

I didn't know the Gen 3s had side airbags.

How can one check to be sure? I have a 2005 XLT.

The '03 Mounty I picked up has them. There's a printed label right where the airbags are on the headliner.

The '03 Mounty I picked up has them. There's a printed label right where the airbags are on the headliner.

That makes sense, thanks. I don't think I have them, but I'll check today.

Does your Mounty have the limited or whatever it is called interior with leather seats, heated, etc.? Mine is the cheaper cloth. Not sure if that also comes along with the side airbags.

It's the Premier, the Ex Limited equivant. Leather seats etc...

It's the Premier, the Ex Limited equivant. Leather seats etc...

Definitely not mine then! I just checked too, no side airbags. Can't afford anything beyond XLT. :D

Grand Cherokee

I am driving my old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is my standby beater truck, but it has now become my main ride.
I want sooooo bad to get another Explorer, but with all the problems I had with my 1991 and this 2002, I have lost all faith in this model of truck. Things broke on this truck that in my opinion, should not have ever happened.

I started a thread a couple of years ago about the gear shifter breaking off in my wife's hands. It cost be $600 and a total steering column replacement. I have had to continually replace the wheel bearings. One almost burned up because it seized up. All the rear glass panels are leaking from somewhere. The rear fascia is cracked, the clear coat is peeling off everywhere. The plastic thermostat housing is glued together. I am on the fourth housing to crack and fail!!! One left me on the side of the road with a tow truck ride. The engine timing chain tentioners busted and are rattling around like marbles. The whole engine has to be removed to replace them. The tranny was rebuilt with the overbore fix on the solineods replaced, and it is starting to slip again. And there are many more problems, like electrical gremlins that I had to track down and repair like wires in the door ripping apart and having to resolder.....

I am not trying to rip this Explorer, but the facts are there and there are many. This truck has been a real love hate relationship.

I love this foum, and it has been the most informative one I have been a part of. I will probably always poke around here, because I have gained so much knowledge working on these trucks.

But as for Explorer's... Well, I probably will not buy another one. I have lost all faith in most car manufacturers, but when carcomplaints.com states that the 2002 Ford Explorer is the worst vehicle on the road, I guess I am done. When airbags go off for no reason.... My hands are now washed.

We also own an 06 Tahoe and that is what my wife drives now. This vehicle has been trouble free so far. She gave up on the Explorer in December and asked me to drive it while she drove the Jeep. She said she was tired of driving a truck that always broke or flashed the lights for no reason and the locks would unlock and lock while going down the road.

Anyway, I wish everyone with one of these trucks the best and hope you get great service and mileage out of yours. Mine just turned out to be a POS.

It seems like you either have a ton of issues or relatively few when it comes to these.

I'd definitely say that you should not own an Explorer unless you can do all of your own repairs and like doing so. Or, only keep it while it's under warranty.
Like you said, love/hate.

Back