• Register Today It's free!

2012 Electrical Issues

Blwn99svt

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Ive had it for about a month now and has been driving perfect. Car sat for 3 days and it cranked right up to move it in the driveway to wash it. Washed the car, went to start up and just a bunch of clicking like the battery is dead. Put the volt meter on, 10.5 volts. Put a battery charger on it for 15 mins and no change in voltage. There is some sort of draw on it.

Tried jumping it with a truck I had....nothing. Just clicking and flickering dash lights. So I Unhooked the negative and let it set 10 mins. I finally get it to start but it barely turned over. No SYNC. Drove it this morning and after a start and stop the radio finally comes on and I get a voltage warning light.

With all that being said, I'm Pissed. Ive researched this and found it to be pretty common with Explorers and F150's. People have replaced the battery, alternator, gear shifter and other items and no luck. People have been back and forth to the dealer 2-4 times with the same issues.

Has anyone a clue as to what could be the issue? I'm taking it to Ford today and it better be covered under some type of warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been issues with batteries and gear shifts due to a 'Shift to Park' issue but I'm not aware that the alternator has been a problem. Unless you are still under the factory warranty or ESP, I doubt that any repair would be covered. Good luck.

Peter

Yeah this doesnt seem like an alternator issue.

Took it to Ford and had it load tested. The battery was the factory battery (now 3 years old). And it was bad. We'll see what happens next. From my experience with many vehicles, batteries now do not last long like they used to 8-10 years ago.

Took it to Ford and had it load tested. The battery was the factory battery (now 3 years old). And it was bad. We'll see what happens next. From my experience with many vehicles, batteries now do not last long like they used to 8-10 years ago.

Vehicles today use far more electrical power than 8-10 years ago, and are far more taxing from a load perspective.

Battery was my guess. Mine went at about 3 years in the same manner.

Battery was my guess. Mine went at about 3 years in the same manner.

Yep, its a shame. My '99 Lightning had the stock battery in it for almost 11 years. After i replaced it in 2009, its had 2 batteries since then.

Excide batteries makes the battteries for Motorcraft by the way.

Back