2016 XLT, brand new, under 500 miles, running with AC at idle, outside the vehicle... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 XLT, brand new, under 500 miles, running with AC at idle, outside the vehicle...

shawnblog

Reaction score
City, State
North Kensington (Maryland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
...with my 2 year old sleeping in the child safety seat while I was visiting with my buddy and it just suddenly stopped running. I hadn't walked very far (less than 10 feet) away from the vehicle (FOB in pocket).

Is this a safety/security feature?

The day after I got it I left it running and walked quite a distance away and I think (maybe...can't remember now) it was still running when I got back!?

Does this system shut down if the FOB gets a certain distance away?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure if you left it running with your key in the pocket, that loud horn warning would wake your sleeping baby up.

When you walk away with the key in your pocket and the engine running it will sound the horn at you.

Will it shut off by itself? Probably. You can try the remote start and then it should be fine. You can set the run time up to 20 mins I think.

Can also just lock the fob in the Ex to keep it running and use the door panel code to get back in, but not sure I'd chance that with a baby in there.

Honestly, on a real hot or cold day I would not leave a baby unattended for long in any vehicle in case it stopped running for whatever reason.

mine will not lock with the fob in the car - 3 honks warning.

and yes it should turn off if you get too far away - for too long.

FWIW a Green Bay canine cop lost his dog last week when he left the car running and the A/C stopped working, what are the odds?

They might have changed the software on the newer cars, but just so everyone knows, IT IS POSSIBLE to lock your key fob (and phone, and wallet, AND the keyless entry code which I should have committed to memory, but don't) inside the 2013 Ex with the engine running. Believe me, it’s not easy! But, with enough grit, determination, and sheer stupidity, I proved a couple weeks ago that it can be done. I started the engine from the fob with the driver's door open (which, mind you, requires you to LOCK THE DOORS), tossed the fob (and phone, and wallet) in the pax seat, then closed the driver's door. Presto. Engine running, and I'm locked out. That was a fun morning. :D:D:mad::fire::p::confused:

This sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Press and hold the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons on the outside driver's door Securilock and the doors will lock with the fob inside.

Peter

...with my 2 year old sleeping in the child safety seat while I was visiting with my buddy and it just suddenly stopped running. I hadn't walked very far (less than 10 feet) away from the vehicle (FOB in pocket).

Is this a safety/security feature?

The day after I got it I left it running and walked quite a distance away and I think (maybe...can't remember now) it was still running when I got back!?

Does this system shut down if the FOB gets a certain distance away?

From page 168 of your Owner's Guide;

Automatic Engine Shutdown
For vehicles with a keyless ignition, this feature automatically shuts down the
engine if it has been idling for an extended period. The ignition also turns off in order to save battery power. Before your vehicle shuts down, a message appears in the information display showing a timer counting down from 30 seconds. If you do not intervene within 30 seconds, your vehicle shuts down. Another message appears in the information display to inform you that your vehicle has shut down to save fuel. Start your vehicle as you normally do.

IT's amazing what information you can find in there.:)

Peter

Honestly, on a real hot or cold day I would not leave a baby unattended for long in any vehicle in case it stopped running for whatever reason.

No doubt. Nor would I. I was literally leaning on it outside, talking to a buddy... I wouldn't go 6 feet and certainly wouldn't leave the FOB inside unless my wife was there with hers as well!

Thanks for the info on what was a mystery to me about my new Explorer. I've NEVER seen a vehicle cut off like that, so I was completely thrown (and slightly freaked out since I was WAY out in the mountains visiting a long time friend). Of course, my little one was taking advantage of her cozy seat and the mountain roads after a post grandma lunch date (photo), so I just left her sleeping away while visiting with the aforementioned friend and at least 3,000 mosquitos...right outside the vehicle in the driveway...relax everyone! :)

Anyway, happy and grateful for any and all replies—especially those with good info about the vehicle. I'll try to consolidate responses next time. My daughter will still be sleeping for sure though (and I'll be at arm's reach if I'm still above dirt).

:)

For my Limited, under vehicle settings, you can deselect auto engine off.

Back