Thumping noise in front end at low speeds... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thumping noise in front end at low speeds...

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2011 EX Limited with 72k. Dealer replaced shocks in rear and struts in front due to a thumping noise in front over rough roads at slow speeds. Sway bar end links replaced all around, too. Noise remains. Said front end is tight - rack, ball joints and tie rods.

Thoughts on what would cause it?
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this exact same problem with only 33700 miles and just got it back from the dealer for the third time and still makes the same noise. Replaced all the same things that you had have replaced and still the clunking noise. I will be making another call tomorrow for another appointment. Oh boy.

Very frustrating. Took it back to show them yesterday and it would not do it. Drove another hundred miles yesterday and It did it several different times. Reminds me of the sound of a bad ball joint but they contend they are tight. I plan to have it checked at each oil change as I suspect it will only get worse.

Anyone else have this issue repaired?

Have them check the strut brace, that is what was causing noise on mine.

worn/defective - they had to replace vs tighten.

Very frustrating. Took it back to show them yesterday and it would not do it. Drove another hundred miles yesterday and It did it several different times. Reminds me of the sound of a bad ball joint but they contend they are tight. I plan to have it checked at each oil change as I suspect it will only get worse.

Anyone else have this issue repaired?

If it is coming from the front end, it could be upper strut bearing mount. I had mine replaced, clunking noise is gone. Hopefully you can narrow it down to either the passenger or driver's side.

If it is coming from the front end, it could be upper strut bearing mount. I had mine replaced, clunking noise is gone. Hopefully you can narrow it down to either the passenger or driver's side.

These were replaced with the struts. No change.

I am starting to suspect lower ball joints. I did try to move them with a pry bar and they didn't budge, but I've read they could be loaded and cause them to appear to be fine. I did look at them and the boot around them is crushed and flat. No grease in there to fill the boot. Not sure what they should look like, though.

Any thoughts on this? I drove into a gravel parking lot today and the thumping was very apparent. Could feel it in the steering wheel and in the floor.

I'm starting to wonder if this condition with the lower ball joints is what is also cause the intermittent steering wheel vibration issues I have been having.

Shumax

My Explorer has been on the shop all week and they have the front of the truck off and have replaced the struts twice. They still can't find it. They believe possibly that there might be a broken spot weld somewhere. I don't feel that that is the problem, but what do I know.

We'll see if next week I'll get my Explorer back. Miss it.

Holy smokes! Mine has been in the shop this entire week, too! I called and the service manager left for the Holiday weekend and nobody knew what was going on. I am hoping it's something like sway bar bushings but running out of faith with it. Keep me posted on yours and I will do the same!

Shumax

My Explorer has been on the shop all week and they have the front of the truck off and have replaced the struts twice. They still can't find it. They believe possibly that there might be a broken spot weld somewhere. I don't feel that that is the problem, but what do I know.

We'll see if next week I'll get my Explorer back. Miss it.

I know it's been mentioned by me that replacing the strut mount bearings took care of the problem, but one member said it did not work for him.

If they took the trouble to replace the struts, I'm somewhat surprised they did not replace the strut mount bearings. Keep in mind there is no way you can tell that the strut mount bearing is bad by wiggling it yourself or when holding it in your hand. It takes a lot of weight and stress to make this clunking noise. Again, I'm really surprised that the dealer did not replace these while replacing the struts.

If you do a search the strut mount bearings are a common culprit for that front end rattle or clunk.

Related thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419861&highlight=front+end+clunk

At least in my case, the strut bearings were replaced. They are called "mounts" and I cross referenced them online to be sure.

I still contend the sway bar bushings or the LCA bushings are bad. I have had struts and strut bearings replaced along with the steering gear and both front wheel bearings. Rear wheel bearings and shocks, too. I also had the rotors and pads replaced at all four corners. No change. Noise is worse and it still shimmys at higher speeds. Keep in mind I have tried three sets of tires and two sets of rims. Shimmy still exists at nearly the same speed ranges.

At least in my case, the strut bearings were replaced. They are called "mounts" and I cross referenced them online to be sure.

I still contend the sway bar bushings or the LCA bushings are bad. I have had struts and strut bearings replaced along with the steering gear and both front wheel bearings. Rear wheel bearings and shocks, too. I also had the rotors and pads replaced at all four corners. No change. Noise is worse and it still shimmys at higher speeds. Keep in mind I have tried three sets of tires and two sets of rims. Shimmy still exists at nearly the same speed ranges.

Your problem does sound different and I tend to agree with your analysis and conclusion of the sway bar or LCA bushings being bad.

I am having a difficult time believing that sway bar bushings would contribute to a random shimmy at speed. Perhaps I am wrong, though? Or, perhaps the two conditions are unrelated? Both the LCA's and the sway bar bushings APPEAR to be fine. I just wonder if they are hallowed out. With 73k on the clock, it seems early. *stumped*

I did fail to mention above that all four sway bar links were replaced, too.

Shumax

I have the same thing going on. It seems to be getting worse. I've noticed it happens in the back some also. not as much as the front though. Could it be tires? Has anybody, with this problem, notice it even after a tire change?

I remember lots of folks talking sometime back about a transmission bump moving forward at slow speeds. There is a TSB for it. Not sure where the link to the discussion is.

I remember lots of folks talking sometime back about a transmission bump moving forward at slow speeds. There is a TSB for it. Not sure where the link to the discussion is.

I know what you are talking about and that's not it, unfortunately. It feels as if something is loose in the front end over small bumps on the road. It's a hollow thumping you can feel in the steering wheel and the pedals.

Think of a wooden box the size of a pizza box with a metal ball rolling around and hitting the sides. That's the sound...

Shumax

Just ask them to look at the lower control arm bushing. That fixed my problem, pronto. I had the same sound , especially when driving over a rocky parking lot.

Man, I sure hope you get it fixed soon because that noise drove me crazy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ask them to look at the lower control arm bushing. That fixed my problem, pronto. I had the same sound , especially when driving over a rocky parking lot.

Man, I sure hope you get it fixed soon because that noise drove me crazy.

If you can believe this, I've had two dealerships and one independent look the entire front end over. They found nothing. At this point, the struts & strut mounts, wheel bearings, drivers axle, sway bar bushings and sway bar end links have all been replaced. I have to laugh - there just isn't much left up there!

Do you happen to have the part numbers for what they replaced? I see online you can replace the entire right front control arm for $105 and then the rear mount for the arm is $65. Replacing the entire arm allows me to replace the control arm bushing itself, but the ball joint, too, as it's included in the arm. It appears to be all plug n play.

For $170 in parts, and likely at least that in labor, I'll give it a try. I'm just curious what parts were replaced on yours, specifically. Once that's done, I just don't know what else it could be. There's nothing left! :)

Thanks,
Shumax

Back