Shopping around for a SUV, suggestions please? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shopping around for a SUV, suggestions please?

The Explorer is essentially an AWD mini-van.

I've been saying this for years and every time I do I get absolutely BBQ'd.

If the OP is going to take his family out into the desert for some remote camping, don't show up with a vehicle that "might" make it if you drive it carefully. You need to have a vehicle capable of easily handling the terrain. I don't care how in love you are with your 5th gen Explorer, this is not the vehicle to show up in.

Nissan Xterra
Toyota 4runner
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Toyota Tacoma

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you need a vehicle with higher ground clearance, and you do a lot of rough off roading, I agree with JerryC, get a Jeep Wrangler. But that vehicle will not drive on paved roads as smooth as the Explorer, not have as comfortable an interior for long drives, or have many of the newest tech features like those on the new Explorer. So it is all a compromise. You need to think about what is the most important things you want to do with the vehicle and go look at them all. Maybe a good compromise between toughness of the Wrangler and the comfort and ride of the new Explorer would be a new 4x4 Toyota 4Runner? Have fun looking.

A Wrangler Unlimited wouldn't give you a lot of cargo space for camping gear. It would get you there though. Maybe paired with one of those offroad trailers I've been seeing.

A Wrangler Unlimited wouldn't give you a lot of cargo space for camping gear. It would get you there though. Maybe paired with one of those offroad trailers I've been seeing.

Or a roof rack. I'm not an expert on it but there is a lot of camping gear made for Jeeps.

The off road trailers are way cool...

I have to admit, when I was looking at a new SUV a month or so ago before I bought my Explorer, I did consider the 4x4 4Runner, but I could not get past the look of the front of that vehicle. In my opinion it just does not look great. But that is only my opinion. You also have to like what you drive, so I then bought my new Explorer. Do I wish it had higher ground clearance, yes. One thing I do notice about the front air dam on the Explorer is that the bottom part of it is just flexible rubber. So that will actually bend if it scrapes on a rock while off roading.

I'll give some anecdotal evidence on where this has gone.

I spend a lot of time on Nantucket, which is a 11 by 3 mile island 30 miles at sea with wonderful but in many cases challenging beaches that allowing driving.

For the past 50 years Nantucket has had one car dealer (year round population of 9,000). Don Allen Ford.

75% or so of vehicles on Nantucket are 4WD SUV's or trucks.

Even though my 2009 Escape does just fine on the beaches with AWD as it has good clearance, the latest model Escape does not. The Ex has clearance issues.

2 years ago, right next door to its Ford dealership, they opened up Don Allen Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge. It's small. Does not sell anything but 4x4 -- Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Wrangler, Patriot, Renegade, Durango and Ram.

Point being, Ford has gone so far away from offroad that the Ford dealer had to open up a Jeep dealership on a beach driving island.

Even though my 2009 Escape does just fine on the beaches with AWD as it has good clearance, the latest model Escape does not. The Ex has clearance issues.

Point being, Ford has gone so far away from offroad that the Ford dealer had to open up a Jeep dealership on a beach driving island.

What's the point of only looking tough and capable? All modern car-based SUVs are marketed (and actually look the part, superficially!) as being much tougher than mini-vans, and this can give drivers unwarranted confidence in their capabilities. I can imagine someone taking a Toyota Highlander off-road in, say, the Mojave desert, getting stuck, and dying. If you don't know what to look for, a Highlander can inspire as much confidence as a 4-runner, or a Jeep--it's AWD after all, and has these big tires and wheels...

Very interesting suggestions. I suggest you get a 5th Gen for your minivan moments, then mod your Miata for your off-roading pleasure :D

25-gary-castillo-interview-mazda-miata.jpg

Modern "SUVs" are much closer to minivans than before. I'm not even sure I would call the 5th gen explorer an SUV... its more like Minivan-with-bigger-engine. My 16 Exploder tows my 5,000 lb boat around like its not there, so I love it!

But whatever - just know your car's limitations. I just upgraded my 2012 Exploder to a 2016 and love the 2016. I know its limitations though - it obviously can't go off-road (And my definition of off-roading is simply taking it over plowed farm fields / grass for hunting) without ripping the air dam / air scoop off and doing tons of damage, but neither can my father's 2012 Suburban.

I'm pretty sure most people have figured out that 95% of modern "SUVs" (suburbans included) will never go on a hunting trip or see off-road ever - and the people overwhelmingly purchasing these cars will only be driving them on-road, so it makes sense that they build these cars to be sold rather than for specific cases like the one mentioned here. In the jeep forums, they refer to them as "Mall Crawlers"

Wanting it all like OP, I first started looking at the 4-runner limited. I think it would do his job just fine! I think they are also loud, bumpy, and would be terrible for a car that will be used almost strictly on-road its entire life.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - I loved this one. Great price - more ground clearance - full size spare tire - so many cool extra features. Downsides were that this model Cherokee has like the #7 worst record of any car of all time. Everyone I knew with one said the transmission had issues or had blown, but they all still claimed to really liked them (and were looking to trade them for soemthing else haha) Reliability is really the only reason I decided the ford over the Jeep. Chrysler seems to just not have good luck in that department. Wanting to keep this car for 150k miles, I can't afford 3 new transmissions because I picked the Jeep haha

Then I checked out the Highlander. Give me a break - that thing is the definition of minivan with a bigger engine. Didn't like it at all for tons of reasons. Just test drive one yourself and you'll see.

Durango actually wasn't considered since they are discontinuing them next year. Acadia / Traverse were not considered because never buying a chevy again (give me 10 + years or so before I reconsider)

Pilot can't tow a 5,000 boat and is the worst one out there - it is simply a minivan without the sliding doors. Engine is pathetic - everything is pathetic.

If I was you - consider the land rovers mentioned / 4 Runner / Jeep / Expedition with the skirt removed. Would all work for you!

Very interesting suggestions. I suggest you get a 5th Gen for your minivan moments, then mod your Miata for your off-roading pleasure :D

LOL now THATS what we're talkin about!

Interesting post jonredcorn. I had a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (not the Grand Cherokee) and it constantly was at the dealer for issues (some serious, some not). I got tired of rough shifting and constant transmission software updates where Chrysler was trying software fixes to smooth out the transmission. Sometimes it would shift so hard that my wife told me she thought she got hit from behind. So at 6,200 miles I traded it in for my Explorer. Now no more transmission problems and just smooth sailing. After my 2014 Cherokee experience, there was no way I was going to buy a Grand Cherokee even though it is more off road capable than the Explorer. I'll just have to choose my trails more carefully and stick to gravel and dirt roads in the forest.

Modern "SUVs" are much closer to minivans than before. I'm not even sure I would call the 5th gen explorer an SUV... its more like Minivan-with-bigger-engine.

Make no mistake. Ford knows what it is doing from a marketing standpoint. These are being called CUV's - crossover utility vehicles.

Yes, on this forum we have some previous gen. Ex owners who take their offroad seriously, but in terms of sales, it is a very small percentage.

The vast majority of people who own a traditional 4x4 SUV or AWD CUV will never go offroad. 4x4 SUV's started selling bigtime in the '80's because people like the *idea of a tough looking SUV as opposed to a feminine station wagon. Woman even liked the SUV's what with women's lib and I can't tell you how many women have told me they like sitting high over the road.

Since the Ex is now sold to soccer mom's and dad's who don't want to look wimpy, yet never goes offroad with the vast majority off owners, what Ford has done makes perfect sense.

They have given it a car chassis so it handles more like a car than a truck for everyday road driving. They have still kept it kind of tough/SUV looking so you feel you have a tough vehicle when it is no different than an Acadia or Highlander that have a less aggressive look.

And it has worked. Ford is selling a ton of Ex's. AWD is excellent for slick rainy conditions and for those where it snows. I have had no probs in 8 inches of snow with the Ex.

It meets all the needs to the typical driver - and especially families with kids - though a minivan is till more practical with 3 or 4 kids and storage in the back, but a minivan truly is wimpy looking compared to an Ex.

My sister has three kids. Looked at the Ex. Not enough rear cargo space with three rows and third row is small in the Ex. Got an Odyssy. Very practical. Still unsightly. Now my brother-in-law has a nice high end Acura sedan he is happy with. My sister was so perturbed with the minivan concept though she knew she needed it, she convinced him to get a brand new Jeep Wrangler as a fun car. Roof can go down. 4 doors so the kids can fit in if they don't have to haul a lot of stuff. Minivan still gets a lot of use for vacation with all the stuff you haul and for shopping with the kids/taking them to sporting events where they need to bring equipment, but for a trip out to dinner or to see friends, the family jumps in the Wrangler. A lot cooler than a minivan.

And that's what Ford is trying to do with the Ex. Not make it seem like a minivan or even a crossover - though it is - while giving everyday driving appeal. And it's not a minivan. Does not have the cargo space with the ability to take seats out. Ex does have AWD making it better in slick/snowy conditions. Ex looks like a traditional SUV so you feel like you have something more rugged, though it is no longer a true 4x4 SUV. It's a CUV.

They have still kept it kind of tough/SUV looking so you feel you have a tough vehicle.....

I know "tough" is a subjective term but I don't see the 5th gen even remotely tough.

But you're absolutely right on the other points you made. Rarely did people who owned their large heavy duty vehicles use it for anything more than running around town. They occasionally needed to fold down the seats to haul something home for the lumbar yard or some other large item but for the most part a regular car would satisfy their needs.

Enter the CUV.

And I'm glad that the 5th gen has been a success. I just try to remind people of what the Explorer is currently is far from where it started when they are shopping for a vehicle that could occasionally see offroad use. And "offroad" to some might be a washboarded dirt road while for others it could mean large rocks and needing to walk the road first to see how you are going to get through it.

Obligatory pic ***** shots:
climbing%20ledge.jpg

5-M.png

I'm going to avoid the argueing, everyone here knows my distaste for toyotas and the 5th Gen explorer.

OP I'd suggest you consider the F150. I'd go with the smallest cab your needs require and the longest bed. Put a bed topper on, and a bed rug.
Or look at used vehicles. You can buy a 2010 V8 explorer. Or even better, buy an old 1st or 2nd Gen explorer and use the money that you woulda spent on a new car to make yourself happy with the old one.

LOL. Probably more off-road capable than an Explorer ;)

I'm going to avoid the argueing, everyone here knows my distaste for toyotas and the 5th Gen explorer.

Distaste for Toyotas? WHy?

OP I'd suggest you consider the F150. I'd go with the smallest cab your needs require and the longest bed. Put a bed topper on, and a bed rug.
Or look at used vehicles. You can buy a 2010 V8 explorer. Or even better, buy an old 1st or 2nd Gen explorer and use the money that you woulda spent on a new car to make yourself happy with the old one.

My wife would never accept a pickup. As to used, I'm worried about reliability.

As others have suggested:

Jeep Grand Cherokee - Capable and comfy
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (if you really are going to do some offroading this is the one)
Land Rover - very pricey

Along with the comments made here, their are some things that need to be looked at when considering off road capability which one should put on a list.

In no particular order:

1. SUV's capable of off road/rough terrain driving have at least, some under body protection with a beefier frame and skid plates to protect vitals. Look underneath the SUV for evidence. Full frame would be desirable in my book.

2. Off road accessories/mods. Are they available for the SUV you're looking at. This one thing should send up a red flag if nothing is offered in this regard.

3. Tires. Look up what's optional for the SUV you're looking at. Example: A cursory look at the available tires for the new Explorer has no option for an off road tire. All season/performance road tires only.

You only need answer one of these three questions to find out the capability of the SUV you're looking at. Some other questions can be added to these but, essentially, if the answer to any of these three questions is negative, look at something else.

The OP made an inquiry with the kind of essentials needed for the SUV he's looking for so, this entire thread can be considered question number 4.

When I made my decision for buying my EX, off roading was limited to the light side of this condition. I needed it to haul all my different hobby gear around on my excursions which would take me off the main highway at times and the EX would do this extremely well in my mind. So far so good. For other needs that may take me into more moderate rough terrain conditions, I have my Ranger 4x4 but, that situation will only come up once in a blue moon and I will know this condition exist before it happens.

Any way, that's my take on what I consider essential inquiries into this subject. But, another red flag comes to mind when considering off road capable vehicles. I don't know of any that have sideways mounted engines. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Along with the comments made here, their are some things that need to be looked at when considering off road capability which one should put on a list.

In no particular order:

1. SUV's capable of off road/rough terrain driving have at least, some under body protection with a beefier frame and skid plates to protect vitals. Look underneath the SUV for evidence. Full frame would be desirable in my book.

2. Off road accessories/mods. Are they available for the SUV you're looking at. This one thing should send up a red flag if nothing is offered in this regard.

3. Tires. Look up what's optional for the SUV you're looking at. Example: A cursory look at the available tires for the new Explorer has no option for an off road tire. All season/performance road tires only.

You only need answer one of these three questions to find out the capability of the SUV you're looking at. Some other questions can be added to these but, essentially, if the answer to any of these three questions is negative, look at something else.

The OP made an inquiry with the kind of essentials needed for the SUV he's looking for so, this entire thread can be considered question number 4.

When I made my decision for buying my EX, off roading was limited to the light side of this condition. I needed it to haul all my different hobby gear around on my excursions which would take me off the main highway at times and the EX would do this extremely well in my mind. So far so good. For other needs that may take me into more moderate rough terrain conditions, I have my Ranger 4x4 but, that situation will only come up once in a blue moon and I will know this condition exist before it happens.

Any way, that's my take on what I consider essential inquiries into this subject. But, another red flag comes to mind when considering off road capable vehicles. I don't know of any that have sideways mounted engines. :D

So going by that, for 2016, the only reasonably priced SUVs that are off-road capable are the various Jeeps and the 4Runner. That's it. No more Xterra, no more FJ Cruiser. It is pretty shocking.

Back