How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

Although stock fliter does not contribute to oil filtering - because of the ablity of the auxiliry filter to catch smaller particals - but it is still functional as a sucction tube for ATF from the bottom of the oil pan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take you still change it periodically, just not as often since your changing the external one. Is it hard to get that deep pan off? I'm going to be getting my tranny rebuilt in next few months and I'm going to print out everything you did and see what it'll cost me to have it done at a local shop. I'm not hard on it but I want it to last for a very long time, obviously with proper maintenance. I have right at 325,000 miles on mine now.

No, I don't change it at all. I just install a new one right before installing the auxiliry filter and never changed it after that. I just kept changing the auxiliry filter each time I change engine oil and I complete the ATF level with fresh mircon V eahc time.

Nice job, it does seem a little pricey for a vehicle that doesn't have much of a re-sale value though....$4500 would buy a nice Explorer where I live....running.

This just made my short list. 2-3 went away suddenly, so thinking the gasket blew out.

If the valve body needs to be gone into (or worse), it'll do the Shift Correction as well.

Well, its open and, metal bits...argh. Looks like it's getting everything (rebuild and shift kit) and probably converter if I don't see where the magical bits came from....in additional to the expected gasket and servo.

Thanks for the thread, been a good guide so far.

Total damage: Converter ate itself, sent metal everywhere.
New Torque converter
New front planetary
New OD planetary
Complete rebuild kit (Bands and all)
Shift kit
Servo sleeve

Farmed it out, but again, this thread was super handy for having an intelligent conversation with an above average shop. I think it helps to be able to talk with them in the same terms. As an aside, 3 other explorers there at the time. :p

hey i have a 2004 sohc v6 4x4 with passenger egr iam assuming what you guys have bin doin with your transmissions would work on mine, i was just looking for a parts list of exactly what ill need to bring my trans guy to fix my trans once and for all . i see many diffrent things you guys are buying and jus wondering what you all finally decided on i dont want to have to deal with my trans for awhile so a pricy parts list wont bother me as long as it gets the job done right thank
take ur time replying no rush thank you guys and girls

Unless you have broken hard parts, bad torque converter or bad solenoids pack

the following is what you need

I recommend buying Ford 5R55W/S OEM rebuilding kit along with Superior Transmission Parts, Shift Correction Package #Superior K5R55W/N/S

Ford OEM 5R55W/S Master Rebuilding Kit

Ford #7L2Z-7H575-A
Motorcraft #MTK-K2700-F​

which includes almost everything you need for a complete rebuild
  • All New OEM Clutches
  • All New OEM Steels (YOU WILL NEED STEELS!)
  • All New OEM Flex Bands
  • All New OEM Sealing Rings
  • All New OEM Metal Clad Seals
  • All New OEM Paper Gaskets (Valve Body Plate & Bonded Gaskets is NOT included)
  • All New OEM O-Rings
  • All New OEM Gaskets

As it illustrated in the following diagram​

attachment.php

you may need to add the following parts to the kit
  • OEM Valve Body Plate & Bonded Gaskets #4L2Z-7Z490-AA
  • OEM Forward clutch piston #6L2Z-7A262-BA
  • OEM Low reverse piston #4L2Z-7D189-AA

Superior Transmission Parts Shift Correction Package #Superior K5R55W/N/S

Due to the factory design of no cooler flow cold, it is extremely temperamental to fill and get a correct level, as well as running extremely hot compared to others without flow control systems.
We finally broke through with our patent pending Sure-Cool Full Time Cooler Flow Valve along with enhanced Lube system that nearly Triples the Flow through the cooler and parts, especially the O.D. Planetary.
These Flow Control Upgrades virtually eliminate front Planetary Burn-up due to lack of Poor/ No lube.
This new system also furnishes a built in cooler bypass system that if the unit is extremely cold (fluid starts to gel) or in the event the cooler is blocked / restricted, flow to the parts still occurs - protecting your investment.

This New 5R55 W/N/S Shift Correction Package includes:
  • Our Ever Popular K060 "No Stick" Line Pressure Relief Valve Kit
  • New Lock-up upgrade system that allows an On-Off Type Apply that is proof the lock up apply does not have to be firm and harsh to be fixed
  • 3-4 Drum Piston return springs replace the often found fatigued originals, due to band and drum burn up
  • Addresses several TCC error & shift solenoid error codes as well as P0740
  • Keeps Solenoid Blocks, Parts and Components Cooler and well lubricated, with these New system Upgrades and Superior Quality "Real Steel" Components.
Backed with solid TransLab Engineered improvements from Superior Transmission Parts, Inc. you now have a choice.

222-Web1.jpg

Bushings:

5R55S Bushing Kit Part #46030

IMG_20150601_181521.jpg

Overdrive Bushing, Servo Pin Bore Repair Part #T-9213-SL
Intermediate Bushing, Servo Pin Bore Repair Part #T-9213A-SL

IMG_20150601_181447.jpg

TCI High Preformance Input Shaft #579600

TCI® Hardened Input Shaft is constructed from hardened, aircraft quality Vaccu Melt 300 billet steel. Features increased lubrication flow and strength with a resized diameter that provides optimum stress distribution along the entire length of shaft and along the extended high gear splines to the oil ring.​

S2010621.jpg

B&M Remote Transmission Filters Kit part #80277 with MotorCarft FL-400S Filter

bmm-80277.jpg

In-Line Secondary Aux Transmission Cooler

Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler with Thermal Bypass part #LPD4739

I recommend to disconnect the OEM Trans cooler within the radiator and rely on this trans cooler

lpd4739-front.jpg

Trick Flow® Transmission Pans Part #TFS-1012

It is a bit shallower and it will clear the exhaust y-pipe assembly better

TFS-1012_xl.jpg

Last thing, I just want to emphasize the importance of:
  • Eliminating oil pump end play by choosing the correct thrust washer.
  • proper adjusting the bands according to specs.

Useful File

thank you the electrician iam gona start buying my parts now so i can eventually bring them to my trans guy ill make some posts to let you know how its coming thank you so much that was exactly what i was looking for much praise cheers

Anyone have any experience with just installing the K5R55W/N/S shift correction kit? Does the transmission have to come out to install the kit?
How about the TransGo shift kit?

I tried both and I would never recommend TransGo Kit, because it wont address the issue of poor lubrication through the cooler and parts, especially the O.D. Planetary.

TransGo Kit is a valve body correction kit and you can install it while the transmission within the vehicle

Maybe TransGo kit is good for light weight Mustangs, but it is never good enough for heavy Explorers.

Regarding Superior K5R55W/N/S Kit. You need to remove the transmission out and to disassemble it for the installation of the kit.

Was only looking at it for my 03 Sport Trac, which I do almost no towing with.

Does the OEM rebuild come with a new front pump? I ordered the superior kit, and OEM rebuild. I believe it's my front pump going out - once transmission gets hot, all gears are inoperable and vehicle does not move whatsoever. Can't remember what code it throws off hand.

Does the OEM rebuild come with a new front pump? I ordered the superior kit, and OEM rebuild. I believe it's my front pump going out - once transmission gets hot, all gears are inoperable and vehicle does not move whatsoever. Can't remember what code it throws off hand.

Nope, it doesn't come with a new front pump. the pump is sold saperately.

One other question, should the bands be adjusted when dropping the pan for a fluid and filter change or left alone? Only real issue at the moment in the hard downshift when easing into a stop. Thanks.

This is on my 2007.

TFT & Level 10 rebuild kit

Do you monitor your transmission fluid temperature (TFT)? It must be difficult to keep it at a reasonable level driving in your climate? Maybe excess TFT is partly responsible for the early failure of your TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit.

How is the Level 10 rebuild kit holding up? Do you think it is superior to the OEM rebuild kit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys!! I just need the info on rebuilding mine back to stock, do I do TC? Do I do solenoid packs? Do I do the sleeve kit on valves?? Please help me!!!

Back