What rims should I get for '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What rims should I get for '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer

JLindley

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ex XLT, '97 Ex EB
Hey all i've been looking around on the internet for some wheels that would look good on my '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4. The rims that are on it are ok, just never been wild about them. Can't find any pics online of 2nd gen X's Eddie Bauer with aftermarket wheels on them. Would like to stay close as I can to the stock rim size so it dosent effect the speedometer, gas mileage.
Here is a pic of my X EB now as it sits. I did get the front windows tinted to match the back. Can't see with the front windows rolled down..

2015-06-17%2019.55.08.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ I actually like those rims. And probably easier to keep clean than the regular "rolling teardrop" like mine.

I actually like some of the newer black steel rims.
Just seem practical and easy to clean ..... but then you would need to change your gold trim to black also. :banghead:

^ I actually like those rims. And probably easier to keep clean than the regular "rolling teardrop" like mine.

I like the chrome wheels on my '97 Sport. I'm sure they're not rare, but I've never seen another set in my area.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/kodabear2000/media/109_0136_zpszf8cansc.jpg.html?o=0

Duane, 2 tips to keep your rolling teardrop wheels clean:

1. Use ceramic front pads to greatly reduce/eliminate brake dust.
2. Buy a gallon of Purple Power and a pump-style spray bottle at Walmart along with a soft bristle brush (the kind you would use with a dust pan).

Spray the PP on a cool wheel (works great on tires too), immediately brush it around and hose off - done.

I use AZ's CMAX ceramic front pads (now have a new name) and I get zero brake dust on my front wheels.

Now if you want a wheel that's a PITA to clean, get the ones with the 10 slots and 10 round holes. Only wheels that's harder to clean are the late 80's style snowflake wheels.

Tip: If you want your pump-style sprayer to last, poor the remaining PP back into it's jug and rinse the sprayer out with water. Otherwise the PP will soften the pickup hose over time.

yea, i do like em. I may not put different rims on it. Just lookin at whats out there. What I love about them is that they are very EASY to clean

.... Buy a gallon of Purple Power and a pump-style spray bottle at Walmart along with a soft bristle brush (the kind you would use with a dust pan).

Spray the PP on a cool wheel (works great on tires too), immediately brush it around and hose off - done.

Timely that you mention that! I'm going to wash the Ex tomorrow and I have both a brush and some Purple Ka-Boom (poor man's Purple Power.) I think I will give that a go. Thanks!:thumbsup:

I'm running the Wagner ThermoQuiets all around. Put them on May of last year with new rotors. Very happy with the braking power. I may look at ceramics when the time comes but until then I'm running the Wagners.

Timely that you mention that! I'm going to wash the Ex tomorrow and I have both a brush and some Purple Ka-Boom (poor man's Purple Power.) I think I will give that a go. Thanks!:thumbsup:

I'm running the Wagner ThermoQuiets all around. Put them on May of last year with new rotors. Very happy with the braking power. I may look at ceramics when the time comes but until then I'm running the Wagners.

Purple power works really well on wheels; I use it all the time. be sure not to get it on your paint job.

Hey all i've been looking around on the internet for some wheels that would look good on my '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4. The rims that are on it are ok, just never been wild about them. Can't find any pics online of 2nd gen X's Eddie Bauer with aftermarket wheels on them. Would like to stay close as I can to the stock rim size so it dosent effect the speedometer, gas mileage.
Here is a pic of my X EB now as it sits. I did get the front windows tinted to match the back. Can't see with the front windows rolled down..

View attachment 304676

But the aluminum teardrop does look good when cleaned!

Totally get what you mean though.

Back