• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer Base Model

traclev

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
I'm a happy owner of a new 2016 Ford Explorer Base V6 - Shadow Black! I looked at many different vehicles before making a decision on the Explorer, and felt that the Ford gave me and my family the most versatility.

When I got home from the dealership and was reading the Quick Reference guide... I felt like it was a full color diagram of all the features I didn't get :(.

What are some things that I can add to personalize it or upgrade the base systems?

I've already ordered mud-flaps, keypad, cross bar luggage racks, side window shade deflectors and hood deflector. I've also had the front windows tinted.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the stock 4.2 Sync stereo, what are my options for upgrading? Can I easily add an aftermarket subwoofer?

Also, the rear ac blowers seem to fluctuate even though they are set to high. Is this a problem? Should I take it back to dealer?

I'm glad to be part of the club!

I'm a happy owner of a new 2016 Ford Explorer Base V6 - Shadow Black! I looked at many different vehicles before making a decision on the Explorer, and felt that the Ford gave me and my family the most versatility.

When I got home from the dealership and was reading the Quick Reference guide... I felt like it was a full color diagram of all the features I didn't get :(.

What are some things that I can add to personalize it or upgrade the base systems?

I've already ordered mud-flaps, keypad, cross bar luggage racks, side window shade deflectors and hood deflector. I've also had the front windows tinted.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the stock 4.2 Sync stereo, what are my options for upgrading? Can I easily add an aftermarket subwoofer?

Also, the rear ac blowers seem to fluctuate even though they are set to high. Is this a problem? Should I take it back to dealer?

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I think the first thing I'd do is update your profile to show '2016 Base Explorer' instead of the Durango!

I'll also move your thread over to the 'Modified' sub forum where members can suggest items you can add/modify.

Peter

There aren't many options out there when it comes to the price you can get a base Explorer for. Especially during Employee pricing sales. Enjoy your new Explorer! I love what they did with the front for 2016. I'm sure you can add a lot of the things found in Limited models and the new Platinum model but why bother, it would cost more than it would have getting it factory installed.

Good choice in color... I especially like the name ;)

As for the OEM options, you'd be surprise that you could most likely do without all of them. Oftentimes, we lose sight of the fact that these options are more luxuries than necessities. Probably, the most important luxury I value is a rear cam--other than that, I wouldn't need heated/cooled seats, BLIS, power folding seats.... blah blah blah. If you can't suck it up and temporarily deal with a warm or cold seat cushion, if you can't use common driving sense and look over your shoulder when changing lanes, or if you can't fight every ounce of laziness in your system or weakness in your sad little wrist to fold the rear seats yourself, then you are better off in waiting to buy a Google car that will drive itself and do everything for you.

I'm all for technology, but everything is getting so advanced TOO FAST. The more tech options, the greater likelihood for failures and problems. Remember, tech problems are not always solved by "reflashes" of software or reprogramming. Sometimes the only solution is buying a whole new part. Mechanical problems are a bit easier to deal with, since you stand a greater chance of only needing to buy the specific broken part, as oppose to some whole assembly. People think the answer to the current MFT/SYNC issues, is the release of the latest version.... And when people start griping, whining, and complaining about the "latest" version, I'll be kickin back, grinning, and uttering "told ya so." One day people will start realizing that our cars are becoming less like cars every year.

The parts you've gotten so far are on the right track. I would focus on more aesthetics (LEDs, rims, grille change, etc) as opposed to anything else--though you could upgrade the OEM sound system with a better aftermarket head unit, amp, subs, mids, etc. I've read a few posts on here of successes with installing aftermarket sounds; just do a search.

And I would check with the dealer on the fluctuating blowers... it doesn't sound normal. Welcome to the Ford family, and enjoy your new 16!

Back