Rear view camera cable routing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear view camera cable routing

ncyrider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
Installing a license plate rear view camera on my 01 Sport Trac, and before I get started I want to get an idea of how I should route the RCA video cable into the cab so I can connect it to my head unit in the dash.
Are there any holes or grommets under the floor around the rear seats where I can get the wire through?
Or should I run the wire underneath the cab to the front... I already have amp power wires running through the steering wheel grommet in the fire wall. The RCA cable I have is 20ft long and I dont want to drill any holes.
Also, any tips for the camera power wire? It splices into a reverse light wire right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did this on my truck. I spliced to the passenger reverse light for power and ran the rca cable through the C frame continuing through the box frame. I utilized the radio antenna grommet to feed it into the cab. All on the passengers' sideb

If you want it in the cab as soon as possible there is a vent on the rear of the cab that you can get to behind the jack storage. I ran my CB antenna cable through it

If you can take some pics during your install to share. Once I find a backup system I'm happy with, I'd like to do this also. I cracked the housing on my rear view so now it doesn't work (auto dim) so I'm wanting to go with a new full rear view mirror w/ built in display (not the clip on type). Finding the best for camera quality night and day has been a chore that I haven't finalized on yet

If you can take some pics during your install to share. Once I find a backup system I'm happy with, I'd like to do this also. I cracked the housing on my rear view so now it doesn't work (auto dim) so I'm wanting to go with a new full rear view mirror w/ built in display (not the clip on type). Finding the best for camera quality night and day has been a chore that I haven't finalized on yet

Maybe one of the OEM mirrors from an 08 Super Duty (and maybe some 150s and Expeditions)? They used the mirror display before they got the programming to display on a nav screen.

Installing a license plate rear view camera on my 01 Sport Trac, and before I get started I want to get an idea of how I should route the RCA video cable into the cab so I can connect it to my head unit in the dash.
Are there any holes or grommets under the floor around the rear seats where I can get the wire through?
Or should I run the wire underneath the cab to the front... I already have amp power wires running through the steering wheel grommet in the fire wall. The RCA cable I have is 20ft long and I dont want to drill any holes.
Also, any tips for the camera power wire? It splices into a reverse light wire right?

As far as running the cable, I run all of my extra wires and cables along the frame rail following other cable runners. The guys at Ford generally have thought out where the suspension will cycle and where extreme heat lies and have corrected their routing for this.

There are grommets on different parts of the cab. Personally, I ran my CB cable across behind the rear bumper and up the passenger frame rail and into the cab in the front passenger footwell under the flooring and out under the center console.

On my 2010 F350, the factory camera cable is run in the same fashion.

Back