03 4.0l to 4.6l swap in a o3 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 4.0l to 4.6l swap in a o3 explorer

autoekim

Reaction score
City, State
Portland,OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone i'm new here and was wondering if anyone has done one of these swaps? My work bought a 03 explorer with a bad 4.0l from an auction and then picked up another 03 explorer with a 4.6l by accident apparantly they thought that they had the same motors could have been an expensive mistake. After some reasearch i beleave i can transplant the 4.6l in the 4.0l explorer without to much of a problem. I have everything from the 4.6l explorer, Computer, Drivetrain ie:(trans, transfer case, drivelines etc.),wireing harness's, all Acceseries. There should not be anything else i would need right? Any Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just transplant the body from one to another.

Sell them both and buy another. You would literally have to swap entire engine bays.

Care to elaborate on that comment, it just doesn't look that different. the only thing that looks different is the A/C and i have the lines to take care of that.Remember these are both the same year and model.

Care to elaborate on that comment, it just doesn't look that different. the only thing that looks different is the A/C and i have the lines to take care of that.Remember these are both the same year and model.

I mean you would literally have to take EVERYTHING out of the 4.0 engine bay and install EVERYTHING from the 4.6.

For instance, take into consideration the coolant lines. Do they have rear A/C? If one does and the other doesn't then you don't have the correct coolant lines to make all the proper connections on the firewall. That's more you've got to go buy. And those coolant lines are dealer only parts, so get ready to spend some money.

Also you will need to have your exhaust tweaked to fit the new engine.

Save yourself a headache. Sell them both, take all the money and buy a 04-05 V8 Explorer. They had most of the bugs worked out by then.

Update I'm doing the swap right now

OK everyone who is wondering what i'm running into on this swap so that if anyone is thinking about doing it here is the low down info!

First of all the motor does just drop right in with no modifications, The motor mounts are the same as is the position of them.

The wiring harnesses for the Engine,Trans and Starter/Alt need to come from the 4.6 donor vehicle. This consists of three harnesses that unplug from the vehicle side and will plug back into the 4.0l vehicle directly. PLug and play just swap out the 4.0 ecm to the 4.6 ecm and plug the new harnesses in.

The trans needs to come from the donor vehicle also as does the steering rack and shaft to the column not sure if you need the whole steering column or just the lower part yet i'll know when i continue this info article. The rack has to be changed because the 4.6 one has the steering shaft connection located closer to the frame rail which changes the angle of the shaft which is double jointed on the 4.6 and the shaft exits the cab at a different angle to clear exhaust manifold. The power steering lines need to come from the 4.6 as well

So far this is looking ok, the cooling lines line right up and the a/c compressor lines from the 4.6 line right up with the connections in the 4.0 engine bay.

The 4.6 trans bolts right up and the 4.6 exhaust y pipe lines up with the 4.0 connection. well that's where i am at this point I'll continue this post when i finish up today so far Ive only been working on it for about 8 hours. I am working in a fully equipped shop with a lift though. I need to explain that this is being done with both explorers being the same year 2003 and same model just different size motors. :D

Update It's Done

Ok I'm finished with the swap. you do not have to replace the whole steering column just the shaft that goes thru the firewall down to the rack. You do need to take the key and tumbler out of the donor as well as the pats ring around the key (the part that reads the chip in the key) this will allow you to use the key out of the 4.6 that is matched to the 4.6 computer. you could also have a key cut to the 4.0 lock tumbler and program the keys into the 4.6 computer. The driveline out of the 4.0 works fine and the exhaust bolted right up to the 4.6 y-pipe. the radiator works out just have to use the fan shroud off of the 4.6 setup. It is a pretty easy swap really as long as you have the donor vehicle there also and it is the same year and model. So everyone does not need to be scared of this swap it has been done!!

I did not however i will take some pictures of it and the stuff that had to be changed. I should have thought of that while i was doing it.

Thank You for the suggestion.

I would like to see this, and was it a 2wd or 4wd?

They were both a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. The one with a good body and junk 4.0l was retro fitted with the 4.6l out of the one that had been wrecked.

Trans Question

I know this thread is 7 months old but I am considering doing the same swap , same model explorer, but my question is why does the 4.6 transmission have to come with the 4.6 motor? Are they not both 5R55 with tail for 4X4 transfer case?

I know this thread is 7 months old but I am considering doing the same swap , same model explorer, but my question is why does the 4.6 transmission have to come with the 4.6 motor? Are they not both 5R55 with tail for 4X4 transfer case?

same series of transmission with total different bell-housing (bell-housing is cast with transmission body)

I mean there are 2 different versions of 5R55 V8 and V6

Yes that is correct the bell housing is different. if you have the donor vehicle you will have all the necessary stuff to complete the swap.

If you have any problems or questions email me at trannyexpress@gmail.com .

Thanks, you answered a lot of questions I have. Picked up an '03 4.0 XLT (super clean 1 owner) with a bad engine. Not trusting another 4.0 w/ the timing chian issue is the route I want to take I was looking at the 4.6 swap. Studied your picks on the external link, great info. Just to be sure I understood...you DO need to swap the steering RACK from the 4.6 donor when you swap the shaft. Only gave $250 for the Explorer, which is what he was quoted as scrap value from Pick-n-pull.

A local recycling yard (Birmingham Auto Parts in Kansas city) has plenty of Explorers, many were the 4.6 with engines and trans pulled and put in their warehouse, they sell with 90 warranties so I'm looking at pickign up the engine/trans (4x4) for the swap.

Any further tips for the swap after you've done it? Will any 4.6 ECM work or does it need to be the same for the engine it originally went with and you mentioned the PATS, if I can't get the key/tumbler/ring from the donor what's envolved in getting it reprogrammed?

Thanks again!

How has this held up since the swap?

Good info on here!

What I've gathered (I know have the donor vehicle there)

Engine
Transmission
Rack and pinion
Steering Column (or the lower shaft pats ring and lock cylinder)
ECM
Fan shroud
Wiring harness and belts and hoses

I think that's everything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Getting ready to do this swap. Only I plan on modding the 4.6 and trans proir to install. Did you use the 4.0 t case or the awd case from the v8. I'd prefer to use the 4x4 case to have 2wd. But not if it doesn't fit.

Back