• Register Today It's free!

Slow coolant leak

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
A couple weeks back I noticed my coolant was low, topped it up as I was heading on a road trip and while on the trip topped it up a couple more times. When I got home, I noticed the level had not gone down, so checked a couple more times and since it had not gone down left it alone.

Over the weekend I took a look again, and the level in the expansion tank is again low. I can't figure out where it is leaking from though, I occasionally get a puddle on the garage floor but it appears to just be condensation from the A/C running. Looking underneath I cannot see anywhere obvious that it is leaking from.

One thing I am sort of noticing (can't verify this as it's my wifes daily driver) is that I think the coolant in the expansion tank only appears to drop when the rear A/C is running. Are there specific pipes that run to the rear? where are those located and do these sometimes leak?

Any other area's to check? I read a thread about a Y-shaped piece that can be repaired cheaply, but to be honest I cannot even find this piece to check it.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are coolant lines that run to the rear for the heat portion of the rear system that connect in at the driver side rear of the vehicle behind the plastic protector in the rear wheel well area. You could start by checking that area for a leak and then back tracking from there. The "Y" that you are talking about is somewhat hidden down in the passenger side of the engine bay near the air box.

Search the forum about "slow coolant leak". Many of us had it. Maybe you have same issue.

With the rear A/C and Heat, look at this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389906

That was my most recent issue. That "Y" was cracked in the Y, and dripped in an area that most of the liquid was evaporated before it would ever hit the ground. It did occasionally smell of anti freeze after stopping the explorer near the passenger front wheel well.

That Y piece is what I suspect it may be, I had it in for an alignment and they mentioned a coolant leak as well, so they must have seen it somewhere. The fact it appears slow, yet is noticeable from below makes me think it may well be there. Just need to find time to crawl under and give it a good look around.

Take a look through the passenger side wheel well. Turning the wheel to the left (or just taking it off with the vehicle supported by jack stands) may help getting in there to see.

In my case, you could see dried white residue where the coolant had evaporated on the frame/exhaust manifold/ etc, as well as see the path where it came from the Y.

Never had to crawl underneath on mine - even for the repair - it was all accessible through the wheel well and from the top, particularly with the wheel removed.

My 2007 Explorer went through 5 or so radiators.... they ALL had the same leak in the top seam where the metal crimps on to the plastic.

You could never smell it or see it; it would burn off as if trickled down the side plastic pieces that kept the radiator in place.

If you take a flash light and shine it directly on top of the radiator where the seam is, it should have a shiny glare where the crimp is... it is barely noticeable because the coolant would leak downward. I would take a piece of white paper and stick the corner in it and it would absorb the coolant just to make sure.....

Back