Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 91 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Has anyone taken their vehicle in for a software update, in relation to this issue? When I was going through the Florida Lemon Law process, the regional service engineer performed a software update. I am wondering if anyone else has had this performed and what results you have had? Mine has been minimal, at best, as it still seems to have a smell inside.

When they performed the TSB, there was a reprogramming that changes the way the A/C & re-circulation feature work... I've noticed a small smell, but nothing like before.

Also, the slight smell is always on the first hard acceleration, not any WOT there after.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took mine in for a transmission leak and another look at the smell. One of the seals was leaking onto the exhaust system and subsequently the floor. The leak just became noticeable but its unknown how long it was leaking for at possibly a lesser rate. Dealer siad the TSB was done correctly and the leak could be the cause of my smell. We'll see.

This is a $41,100 vehicle which should not have any issues.
QUOTE]

I think everyone on this forum knows what their EX cost and it's a little irritating when people have an issue and they try to suggest just because they paid X number of dollars that it somehow suggests the vehicle should be problem free. ALL manufacturers have issues regardless of what the vehicles cost...understand that for God's sake. I'm sure if you went on the Mercedes or BMW forums that there would be few if any, people saying "this is a $100,000 vehicle and it should not have any issues".....

QUOTE]

I think everyone on this forum knows what their EX cost and it's a little irritating when people have an issue and they try to suggest just because they paid X number of dollars that it somehow suggests the vehicle should be problem free. ALL manufacturers have issues regardless of what the vehicles cost...understand that for God's sake. I'm sure if you went on the Mercedes or BMW forums that there would be few if any, people saying "this is a $100,000 vehicle and it should not have any issues".....

http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/534023-intermittent-blower-motor-problems.html

Post 7

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740894

Post 1

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/763368-dissatisfied-with-our-2014-rx-350-a.html

Post 1

Maybe so, but it took about 5 minutes to come up with the above. I think it is a universal complaint.

2016 Ex Sport Owner - I have over 5,000 miles so far and I have not noticed the slightest hint of exhaust/smell in the cabin. Also, agree with HughCares above.

I wasn't referring to the exhaust smell problem specifically....just any/all mfg issues in general....

I don't think he gets the point. ECinEI was referring to people complaining how much they paid for their cars and having major issues!!!.
And I was not referring how much I have paid for the vehicle but simply the fact that this is a serious issues and if I want to smell carbon monoxide I could easily do it by putting a $10 garden hose into my cabin.
Spending $40K get the same result is not fun.
Perhaps you do not have the issue but for those who do it is a quite an annoyance.

I don't think he gets the point. ECinEI was referring to people complaining how much they paid for their cars and having major issues!!!.
And I was not referring how much I have paid for the vehicle but simply the fact that this is a serious issues and if I want to smell carbon monoxide I could easily do it by putting a $10 garden hose into my cabin.
Spending $40K get the same result is not fun.
Perhaps you do not have the issue but for those who do it is a quite an annoyance.

How can you smell carbon monoxide????? Please inform us.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Educa...enter/Carbon-Monoxide-Questions-and-Answers-/

Still not possible to smell an odorless gas.:)

QUOTE]

For incidental manufacturing defects I agree with you, can happen. But the Explorer build quality is so lousy, evident on my car, and what I read on forums; it has way to many structural defects. Should not happen regardless to the new car costs. And I have owned many new cars; the EX has been my worst experience when talking about quality. What a petty; it would be such a good car if they just put is together properly.

The Chinese build their cars 10 years ago better than Ford does now.

For incidental manufacturing defects I agree with you, can happen. But the Explorer build quality is so lousy, evident on my car, and what I read on forums; it has way to many structural defects. Should not happen regardless to the new car costs. And I have owned many new cars; the EX has been my worst experience when talking about quality. What a petty; it would be such a good car if they just put is together properly.

2004 F150: Traded in 2009 with 114k miles. Only thing needed repair was ball joints

2007 F-150: Traded in 2013 with 126k miles. No repairs outside of standard maintenance.

2013 Edge: No issues, traded in with 14k miles for the want of a '16 Ex Sport with EB.

2016 Ex Sport: No issues, 5k miles, even friends who are die hard BMW/Infiniti/Lexus drivers are amazed by the ride and power.

Speak for yourself.

But the Explorer build quality is so lousy, evident on my car, and what I read on forums; it has way to many structural defects. Should not happen regardless to the new car costs.

You are absolutely correct.. with Ford on track to sell 225,000 Explorers this year.. most seem to have your same opinion of them..

And holy crap, you just lost 100% credibility from anything that you say now.

You are absolutely correct.. with Ford on track to sell 225,000 Explorers this year.. most seem to have your same opinion of them..

And holy crap, you just lost 100% credibility from anything that you say now.

:thumbsup: :D

Update, Spoke with regional customer service yesterday, explained to her that our Ex still has the sulfur smell after the repair. Was told that there is not another repair available at this time other than what they have already done. Closed my case, why? not fixed.
Called dealer to see if they could find out anything, supposedly they called Ford Tech., sure enough there is not a repair for this problem.
Here is my problem, has only been in shop once for 6 days. Can not repair problem, so they will not even take it in to look at it. No qualification for Lemon Law. 8500 miles on $45000 choking machine.

I took mine in for a transmission leak and another look at the smell. One of the seals was leaking onto the exhaust system and subsequently the floor. The leak just became noticeable but its unknown how long it was leaking for at possibly a lesser rate. Dealer siad the TSB was done correctly and the leak could be the cause of my smell. We'll see.

Hi F150EB,

Any updates on your concerns? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

Still a smell after reapir

Just got several things worked on on my 2011 Limited Explorer. One was for smell during hard acceleration. They charged almost $400 to fix the problem even though I have the full coverage extended warranty for 8 years 100,000 miles.
To top all of that off when I left the dealership to go home on interstate the smell was still there when I was accelerating to get up to speed.
IMG_6849.jpg

Just got several things worked on on my 2011 Limited Explorer. One was for smell during hard acceleration. They charged almost $400 to fix the problem even though I have the full coverage extended warranty for 8 years 100,000 miles.
To top all of that off when I left the dealership to go home on interstate the smell was still there when I was accelerating to get up to speed.
IMG_6849.jpg

They fixed my car twice and the problem still exists as well.

On our 2015 EXSport with 640 miles, I am getting a slight whiff of sulfur smell when doing some spirited acceleration. It happens regardless if the AC is on or not. Looks like whatever has been plaguing this body style has not been fixed. Build date on our Sport is 4/27/2015.

Not too keen on getting the rear bumper ripped out & having the dealer go at it back there. Wife is gonna be pissed when she finds out. :mad:

Anyone with successful repairs using TSB 14-0130 procedures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On our 2015 EXSport with 640 miles, I am getting a slight whiff of sulfur smell when doing some spirited acceleration. It happens regardless if the AC is on or not. Looks like whatever has been plaguing this body style has not been fixed. Build date on our Sport is 4/27/2015.

Not too keen on getting the rear bumper ripped out & having the dealer go at it back there. Wife is gonna be pissed when she finds out. :mad:

Anyone with successful repairs using TSB 14-0130 procedures?

Feel your pain. The Sport is my wife's car and at the 3,000 mile mark I was driving to pick her up out of town and got on it pretty good to merge on the Interstate and noticed the faint whiff of exhaust/sulpher smell. Ours was built in 12/14. I also don't trust the dealer tearing into the vehicle being a firm believer in the "law of unintended consequences".

Plus I'm not sure I've ever read here that anyone has had this issue successfully repaired, could be wrong there, but I can't recall it without re-reading this huge thread.

Since she does 90-95% of the driving of this vehicle and doesn't do spirited acceleration, I've never mentioned anything to her. She's blissfully unaware and loves her Sport.

Back