will a 98 sport 4.0l fit in my 01 sport(with 4.0l)/possible 5 sp conv. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will a 98 sport 4.0l fit in my 01 sport(with 4.0l)/possible 5 sp conv.

allgravey20

Reaction score
City, State
pekin Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
I just bought a wrecked 98 explorer sport with 110k miles very cheap for parts. I want to know if the longblock from it will fit in my 01 explorer sport. Mine has 255k miles and am starting to get some timing chain noise. My motor still runs great other than that but if im going to pull the motor to replace the timing chain, i would like to put a newer motor in. Also it has a manual in the wrecked one also. Was also wandering about a manual trans conversion. Also how big of 17" tires can i run on 2" suspension lift?

I didnt know if the clutch pedal assembly will just bolt in or not

The pedal assembly ( you need both the brake and clutch pedal) should be a direct swap make sure if it has a cable or hydraulic system to move it over as well...As for changing the long block is it the same SOHC ? If so your good to go. If not change the whole engine including accessories as needed. In some states for emissions, can you put in a early year engine in a late model truck ? Some states will not allow you to make the change because of the EPA. You can put a newer year engine in an older truck but not backdated.... Also check and see what is the computer it might have changed over the model years...

Back